Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS rear side sections ?

afternoon chaps

does anyone have these fitted ?

I am presuming that as well as different grade subframe bushings they also have different mount points for some of the arms, notably the lower toe arms and A arms. I noticed on my car, that now it's lowered to RS ride height the rear lower arms tilt up slightly at rest which I imagine is not ideal for the proper functioning (read: good bumpsteer plot) of the LSA. So I am thinking that the RS side sections (much like the front RS uprights) revise the location of some of the links.

Can anyone confirm ?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

The Rs side pieces are uber expensive and totally unnecessary. I replaced all the arms w/ the R%s pieces to get the harder rubber bushes and new ball joints, but for the sides i replaced the 4 sub frame mounts w/ solid bushes from Smart Racing, the transformation was remarkable.

It is especially good for very low cars as the solid side pieces are shorter than the original rubber bushes thus raising the entire suspension up into the chassis restoring the arm geometry, it's similar to the effect that the RS uprights do in the front.

W/ my kit I had to shorten the bolts and get some very large and sturdy chassis washers but it was an otherwise strait forward job.

A friend was doing this to his over the past weekend w/ Rennline parts and ran into an issue in that the upper pillow was so short that the sidepiece was hitting the chassis. I assume that is something that will quickly be rectified.

Gert also has a similar kit.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How much time to do the install of the subframe solid bushings?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
i replaced the 4 sub frame mounts w/ solid bushes from Smart Racing, the transformation was remarkable.

It is especially good for very low cars as the solid side pieces are shorter than the original rubber bushes thus raising the entire suspension up into the chassis restoring the arm geometry, it's similar to the effect that the RS uprights do in the front.
Thanks bill, i know about the smart racing bushes and the EVO tilt kits.

What I am trying to establish though is if and how the proper RS side sections restore the geometry of the LSA and how they do it. Do they also have shorter mount bushes or are the points where the arms attach different.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackal2513
Thanks bill, i know about the smart racing bushes and the EVO tilt kits.

What I am trying to establish though is if and how the proper RS side sections restore the geometry of the LSA and how they do it. Do they also have shorter mount bushes or are the points where the arms attach different.
They don't, there are 2 differences between the RS and regular parts
1) harder bushes
2) longer camber slot

Even w/ my car as low as it is I haven't needed the longer camber slot. If you do need it just grind the original a little.

As I may have mentioned the harder RS bushes are well worth it as are the solid sides.

I don't know that the tilt kit makes a difference over the flat solid sides except perhaps on very high hp cars like the GT2s

Takes about a day, depending on tools. You will want an air chisel to get the old ones out.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:28 PM
jackal2513
Racer

they have to change the angle of the arms in some way though

at RS ride height with the standard side members the angles are all wrong
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

they have to change the angle of the arms in some way though

at RS ride height with the standard side members the angles are all wrong
they change the arm angles a bit, because the whole suspension is raised into the car. That's all.

the tilts add some antisquat, but won't change the arm angles as much as the flats, again this is only a small chnage maybe .25 -.5"
Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
jackal2513
Racer

ok thanks, so the mount points are higher then
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok thanks, so the mount points are higher then
only because the solid bushes are thinner

here is a comparison of the stock and solid/flat rear sidemounts. Both are the forward one, You can see where the chassis is notched. Stock doesn't need it solid does

stock 993 rear sidemount

Smart racing solid rear side mount,
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The Rs side pieces are uber expensive and totally unnecessary. I replaced all the arms w/ the R%s pieces to get the harder rubber bushes and new ball joints, but for the sides i replaced the 4 sub frame mounts w/ solid bushes from Smart Racing, the transformation was remarkable.

W/ my kit I had to shorten the bolts and get some very large and sturdy chassis washers but it was an otherwise strait forward job.

A friend was doing this to his over the past weekend w/ Rennline parts and ran into an issue in that the upper pillow was so short that the sidepiece was hitting the chassis. I assume that is something that will quickly be rectified.

Gert also has a similar kit.
I'm planning on installing the Rennline Solid Sides but have already lowered the car to RS height (and corner balanced) and have installed EVO uprights. If I now install the solid sides, which as you say will lower the car even further, am I going to have an issue? Will I need to GEO the car again?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
jackal2513
Racer

bill won't know because he doesn't have the RS side members

but yes, you will have to dismantle a lot to fit them so geo check and adjust will be necessary

they also alter the mount points of the arms, and the ERP bushes also raise the cage a little so again, geo will be required and most likley a ride height adjust

this is why I am enjoying my car for a year and will tackle the rest of the RS suspension including the rear cage all in one go
Old 06-22-2010, 02:54 PM
alexl911
Pro

I think were getting confused between Solid Sides and solid subframe bushes like these:

AFAIK, the bushes are pretty easy to install, but as Bill said, they do lower the cars center of gravity.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:57 PM
jackal2513
Racer

are they easy Alex ?

i seem to remember Bill having a very touch time getting his old bushes removed

whatever the way, the geometry will change, you are fundamentally moving the whole rear suspension cage and altering all angles
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 PM
alexl911
Pro

Check here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...me-bushes.html

Apparently only a couple of hrs work.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Originally Posted by alexl911
Check here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...me-bushes.html

Apparently only a couple of hrs work.
I've already answered that one over on 911uk ..

nothing to do with the Weissach axle

but seriously, i guess it depends on how easy your old bushes come out

see Bills comment about about needing a proper air chisel

just crack on with it .... got to be one of the best mods you can do on a 993

Quick Reply: RS rear side sections ?