Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If you had to pick just 1 car to keep, which one would you keep? (993 vs 740i)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your dilema, but here are a couple thoughts. 1 - I drove my C4S for 1.5 years as a daily driver when I was out and about to and from clients all the time. I put the stock seats back in it most of the time, so it was quite comfortable. It was actually nice to be forced to drive it daily.

Recently we got an Au Pair again and were saving to buy another house - not willing to sell the previous one at these prices, so my wife sold her car and took over my Jeep. This left me driving the 964 with full cage and pole positions every day this nasty winter. I looked at it this way - it isn't as comfortable, but it was better than the alternative and it has ended up being shorter term than expected.

My recommendation is keep the car ou love the most and enjoy driving it. Yes, I too deal with the DC traffic, but there are worse things than driving a Porsche every day and YES these cars are build to be driven and can handle it well.

PM me if you want to discuss more,

-Skip
Old 03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Sell everything and go to Vegas.

JK. I'm with Quadcammer on this one.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by techsis
Sell the 740, the 993, the wife's BMW and some of your other toys (the new Mac you had in a pic around the holidays). Use eBay and craigslist to clean out some of the closets of your 6000 sq ft house.

Times are tough and you need to put your priorities in order. If you are so tight on cash you really should cut the extras before withdrawing from your 401k. Sell your current vehicles and get a used Honda that sips the gas, has low repair costs and cheap liability insurance.

If times turn around for you, do not step right back into a p-car. Pay off the house and bank some cash.

Once your nest egg is established, then you get the green light for p-car ownership.

Hope this works out for you, but do the required reduction of capital outlays.

Also look into adding a separate electric meter for your rental space. An all utilities included deal is going to eat up the rental cash flow. You can get a separate personal meter installed that you can use to set usage limits for your tenants (include XX number of KW hours per month then start charging a $ base don the overage). I have them installed in my home to monitor usage of power for my in home office.
I have to admit, this advice you guys are giving is really depressing to hear but on target. As for the separate electric meter, this is new news to me. Never knew you could get one. We made the rental amount of the space pretty high, dollars-wise, figuring in the utilities as best we could, so I think we're ok there but I'll research your idea anyway.

My head is spinning in so many directions right now thinking about all your ideas. Off to the gym in my 993. Gotta appreciate every last drive in it now, if it's going bye bye this spring I can't wait for our "Meet and Drive" next Sunday. It may be my last.

Frickin' job market. Something as simple as losing my old job has really screwed up all my fun! I keep hoping each day to hear back from one of the many resumes, contacts, job leads, networking leads, etc. that I've got out there floating around. I guess everything is in God's time, not mine at this point. I can't say it wasn't a damn good run for me, though.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

sell the 993 ! These cars should only be owned if u are in a healthy financial position. There will always be another one for sale when u get back on your feet.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Steve, hang in there ... things are a lot worse for some less fortunate folks ...

Here is my take in three simple steps.

1. You need to show your wife that you are will make changes ... sell the 993.
(you will be able to find another one when things improve)

2. Keep your current residence ... and Refinance with a 30 year note.
(you will downsize your home and payoff the mortgage well before 30 years)

3. Keep the rental program going and charge a prorated share for utilities.
(look into the separate metering, however it may be cost prohibitive)

Good luck and best wishes
Old 03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Not for nothing, but I don't own a dime on my place, I own all my cars outright and I pay my credit cards outright every month; in fact, with my Amex card, they pay me over $1000 in CASH, not points, every year with the reward program I'm signed up with. I'm not a millionaire, and often, these days, I don't even make six-figures. In fact, over my career, I've made less than six figures more years than not, and I'm 43 years old. Since I'm an independent contractor, I'm also chronically unemployed (especially these days), but without debt, it doesn't really matter too much.

As a result of not having debt, I can live like a king in Los Angeles, a very expensive city, for next to nothing. All the money I make goes to having fun, not to servicing debt.

Debt is a joke in this country nowadays. The credit they extend you is designed to trap you. Any so-called "low interest" mortgage means, after 30 years, you've paid triple the original price of your home in payments. The rest was payment to the bank. Most likely the bank you just bailed out with taxpayer money during the giveaway to corporate America. And don't even get me started on credit card debt; the worst of all.

Two or three people don't "need" 6000 sq ft. Or 3800 sq. ft. You have lots of fat you can trim. Start cutting. You could still buy a small place outright and live debt free. These are not even real sacrifices. Most would envy your financial picture. This is not a big problem.

Get out of debt. Life is be enjoyed, not to be a slave to excesses and the debt that comes with it.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve, my good man .... it is unlikely that I can relay much of value to you as my culture operates under subtle differences; however, I have lived and worked in the US on a couple of occasions, so have some empathy for your situation - and perhaps some understanding.

We have an expression here, and perhaps it translates: it is being " House Poor" sic ... one who enters a long term accomodation committment that consumes an unstainable percentage of ones gross income.

Back when I noted your posts of a blissful relocation from the long term family home to the current abode, that little alarm bell went off - especially as that upscaling move was also entangled with your repeatedly expressed doubts of maintaining Porsche ownership. In reading the opening post to this thread, you are sadly afflicted with most symptoms of being 'house poor' .... and I see no easy way out. You have been offered a lot of well intended advice.

Selling all 3 or 4 cars is the quick way to raise liquidity .... and picking up any two alternative rides with warrenty on a monthly lease term basis cuts down on the unexpected blown transmission bill, etc. and clarifies what transportation will truly cost you. However, does doing that really raise enough cash to truly solve the greater problem? - that of an overbearing mortgage.

Refinancing appears the only out if you choose to stay put: in doing that, the monthly PIT will be reduced ..... all but the "T" part :Taxes of ~$10K/a remains a sink hole of expenditure that is unlikely to be recovered in reality appreciation for many years , if ever .... and is meaningless if you never plan to move anyway: the point is that if you sit in, say a 50% tax bracket, you are grossing $20K just to pay the property taxes .... and no refinancing will ever make that go away.

Bottom line, less square footage in a less prime area looks to be the direction to take to get the elephant off your back - even if you have to suck up some capital loss in the process.
Best of luck mate.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking from experience, as I was in your exact situation in Dec 09. I woud sell all the toys in order to keep the house. That said, you have to do whatever is necessary to keep food on the table. Down size as necessary. I sold a Harley, Suburban, wifes 964, and a bunch of other smaller stuff. I was lucky and ended up with a better job. Difference is we are on a cash only lifestyle. no credit cards, no credit card debit. No cash we don't get it. We're now building up the saving account, and watching every penny. Remember you always get another p-car or b-mer. Try to hold on to the house, sell only if you must, hoping the home values go up.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

Steve,

I have read your posts over the years, and to be honest, you've been waffling on the 993 pretty much since you got it. And that's OK. I sense from what you've shared that you may be sometimes indecisive by nature - and perhaps enjoy tallying up the pros and cons of a particular situation. Hey, I'm a CA and love analyzing things to death. That's in part what pays my bills. Enjoying and debating both sides of an argument is one thing, but in my opinion, you need to quickly assess the advice given - and act.

Long story short, I totally agree will all the previous posts that recommend sound measures under the circumstances (sell the 993, sell the BMW, get a reliable, safe and presentable inexpensive car, refi the mortgage, sort out your utilities, get a budget and trim the bleeding on non-essentials).

Simple as that. That's it. No magic.

Make your own list with your wife, prioritize it, and get it done. Really. Just get it done.

As a small aside, as for long-term planning, you apparently live in a more expensive part of the country. When the time comes for you to downsize, you should think very carefully about how much space you need, and where you need to live. The costs of identical accomodations vary greatly from one place to another. An home identical to yours, not in the DC area, can probably be had for half the cost in another less dense/busy area.

Good luck buddy.

Matt
Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Steve,

I have read your posts over the years, and to be honest, you've been waffling on the 993 pretty much since you got it. And that's OK. I sense from what you've shared that you may be sometimes indecisive by nature - and perhaps enjoy tallying up the pros and cons of a particular situation. Hey, I'm a CA and love analyzing things to death. That's in part what pays my bills. Enjoying and debating both sides of an argument is one thing, but in my opinion, you need to quickly assess the advice given - and act.

Long story short, I totally agree will all the previous posts that recommend sound measures under the circumstances (sell the 993, sell the BMW, get a reliable, safe and presentable inexpensive car, refi the mortgage, sort out your utilities, get a budget and trim the bleeding on non-essentials).

Simple as that. That's it. No magic.

Make your own list with your wife, prioritize it, and get it done. Really. Just get it done.

As a small aside, as for long-term planning, you apparently live in a more expensive part of the country. When the time comes for you to downsize, you should think very carefully about how much space you need, and where you need to live. The costs of identical accomodations vary greatly from one place to another. An home identical to yours, not in the DC area, can probably be had for half the cost in another less dense/busy area.

Good luck buddy.

Matt
Pain, pure pain reading these replies. It's food for thought, that's for sure. I thought my problem was simply which car to sell. That made it a lot easier to deal with. The choices you're suggesting are horrifying to me. I will think very long and hard about them though and discuss them with my wife when her 24 hour headache over an earlier discussion about this abates. She can't even deal with this right now. Total denial. If I told her I was selling my 993 she'd probably jump for joy and do a jig. If that's all I did for now, the proceed from that sale would pay our mortgage and all utilities for 18 months, enough time to hopefully get a much higher paying job (I used to make $150k+ but I'm now making barely $50k - ouch) or get a second job, like real estate part time, to supplement my first job.

Then if I eventually hit it big in real estate, I guess I could always find another 993 if the cards played out that way.

It's hard to fathom, really. We felt comfortable moving to this bigger house because our note was only $140k on a $960k house, and my income was much higher. We thought we were being conservative. The taxes here are what kill us. Your point about moving to a cheaper neighborhood is well taken, but she's totally opposed to that right now.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Coltranes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve-

Color me confused. You have roughly $800k in equity in your home. Why don't you sell the place, downsize a bit and buy a home in the $600k range? Post commissions you still have ~$125k to bank and you have a house that is free and clear of a note. Do this and keep the cars.

Even if you sell the 993 and Bimmer, your burn rate has not adjusted. Property taxes and upkeep on nearly a $1MM home will be an on-going albatross. I agree with others in the sense that the 993 is a toy that can go, but the bigger issue is the home. You have essentially taken on boarders and still need to supplement income to make ends meet.

You have a NW that is clearly North of $1MM and plenty of options. Not a bad spot to be. Ditch the home and take control.

alan
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Pain, pure pain reading these replies. It's food for thought, that's for sure. I thought my problem was simply which car to sell. That made it a lot easier to deal with. The choices you're suggesting are horrifying to me. I will think very long and hard about them though and discuss them with my wife when her 24 hour headache over an earlier discussion about this abates. She can't even deal with this right now. Total denial. If I told her I was selling my 993 she'd probably jump for joy and do a jig. If that's all I did for now, the proceed from that sale would pay our mortgage and all utilities for 18 months, enough time to hopefully get a much higher paying job (I used to make $150k+ but I'm now making barely $50k - ouch) or get a second job, like real estate part time, to supplement my first job.

Then if I eventually hit it big in real estate, I guess I could always find another 993 if the cards played out that way.

It's hard to fathom, really. We felt comfortable moving to this bigger house because our note was only $140k on a $960k house, and my income was much higher. We thought we were being conservative. The taxes here are what kill us. Your point about moving to a cheaper neighborhood is well taken, but she's totally opposed to that right now.
I think the problem here is that you think that you will be fine if you just make small changes.

I really hate to get into this, but well, you sort of asked, and I'm saying it because I hope it will help.

You're 43, you have $300k in your 401k, and like $80kish or so sitting in cash doing nothing for you. Yes, thats comfortable, especially given the fact that you owe so little on your mortgage, but upon retirement, that $300k will disappear mighty fast..

I think you're just in over your head right now, and you're wanting to sell some things here and there to tread water, hoping for a better job.

I think you need a lifestyle change. This will be temporary, and will build a financial foundation for the future. This needs to be a big step.

The housing situation is a tough one because I realize what real estate costs in your area. If you refi your mortgage, you will greatly reduce your monthly cash outflow. Then selling the bimmer and the 993 adds $40k to your cash (which really should be invested, at least in T-notes or CDs or something).

At that point, you'd have your $300k 401k, but you'd have $120k invested, and a mortgage payment around $700ish (i'm guessing). That means you are taking $600 less out of savings each month, or even putting more in.

With the crown vic, you won't think about mods, or expensive repairs. And if you need a fun car, get an older miata. You get all the sports car experience you can handle, and your total car outlay will be less than $10k.

Also, that should drop your insurance at least a thousand a year.

If you combine that will selling some unnecessary items (high end watch, old furniture, etc), and going out/eating out less, you'll start adding to the bank account.

No one, including me, ever wants to decrease their quality of life, but you just took a $100k pay cut, that calls for some action, imho.

Trust me when i say that you'll be back into a porsche in the future. And you know what, you may actually enjoy being thrifty and seeing the bank account grow.

Sorry this was a bit rambling and i don't want you to get discouraged. You just need to tailor your expectations of your material life right now.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
mo-town
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Everyone is making a whole lot of sense and giving great advise. I just recently bought my first 993(Silver 1996 C4S, like yours) and I was very nervous buying it with the state of the economy, etc. The beauty of these cars is that they maintain their value exceptionally well, which was a major factor when making my decision to buy. You seem like a smart guy and from what I've read, this period of time is just a tiny speed bump in your life.

Unfortunately, I will have to say that you should start by selling both vehicles, and just lease an inexpensive car (you can pick up a Honda Accord for $280/mo, $1500 out of pocket as an example). I would try to avoid a refi on the house if possible to avoid paying interest as much as possible.

There will be other 993's out there in the future when things take a turn for the better, which they definatly will.

I'm not to familiar with your car, but it is a beauty and depending on the mileage, you may be able to fetch mid to high 30's.

Best of Luck,
Maurice
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coltranes
Steve-

Color me confused. You have roughly $800k in equity in your home. Why don't you sell the place, downsize a bit and buy a home in the $600k range? Post commissions you still have ~$125k to bank and you have a house that is free and clear of a note. Do this and keep the cars.

Even if you sell the 993 and Bimmer, your burn rate has not adjusted. Property taxes and upkeep on nearly a $1MM home will be an on-going albatross. I agree with others in the sense that the 993 is a toy that can go, but the bigger issue is the home. You have essentially taken on boarders and still need to supplement income to make ends meet.

You have a NW that is clearly North of $1MM and plenty of options. Not a bad spot to be. Ditch the home and take control.

alan
Okay - here's the deal. Our home is worth, maybe $885-910k. We paid $960k for it 2 yrs ago but it ended up costing a lot more than that. We put a lot into it, like an extra $40k to fix some things that were wrong with it. Original asking price was $1.27k, then they dropped it down to $995k when we first looked at it. If we sell now, we lose $53k to the real estate agent right off the bat (6% fee). We also lose about $100k on the home as well. I realize that that's life.

Part 2 - if we sell regardless of what I wrote above, we walk away with:

$890k sale price for home if it sells on the low side
- $53k 6% Real Estate commission (no, we're not going to sell it ourselves)
- $116K owed on house

If we buy a house for $600k, we'd still need to dump $15k into it as it'll probably need it in this area at that price (replace antiquated kitchen counters and aging, beat appliances, replace tired old carpets, etc.)
+ Moving fees $2500
Total spent, about $617,500.

Then: House would be paid off, a good thing.
Taxes would be 25% to 30% less, a good thing.
$100k in bank, a damn good thing.
No loss of current capital in the bank, another good thing.
No more mortgage payments, just taxes and insurance and repairs, a good thing.
993 still in a garage, a good thing
BMW still in driveway, a good thing.
Acura, well, you get the idea. Good thing.

Crummier house by far in not near as nice a neighborhood - potential deal killer.

I'm open to looking at this option, I guess. Also, we COULD wait 2 years to do this when our 15 1/2 year old is off to college. The reason we moved to this neighborhood is because we'd be close to her (her daddy lives here, right around the corner) and we simply liked it a lot.

I realize this isn't the Home Shopping Network, this is a Porsche Webforum, but just for reference...

Sadly, this is what $600k buys in Bethesda. (not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Beautifully renov. home so close-in.Absolute jewel of a house w/ so many upgrades & special custom features. Bright lower level w/ high ceilings.The backyard is a park-like oasis. The location is wonderfully convenient to NIH, Naval Hosp., Metro, Cap Cres Trail, downtown Bethesda & so much more.Note:Bsmt BR is a den, 2nd main FLR BR is a DR.

In our neighborhood, way out in the outer suburbs of Gaithersburg (North Potomac), $600k buys a lot more, albeit still smaller than what we have. Here's one for $600k about the size of a townhouse but detached, right in our neighborhood. Taxes are still $7k a yr! I don't know if a King size bed would even fit in one of these BR's. We have 2...

Absolutley stunning true 4 bedroom, three full bath Cottage home. So many upgrades!! Recently installed carpet,fresh paint,extra storage areas,hardwood floors,updated baths, HVAC replaced in 09,washer and dryer replaced in 08,wet bar in lower level, replaced windows. All you need to do is move in. Community pool,tennis,basketball,jogging/walking paths,playgrounds. A must see.

This is $575k outside of our cozy little neighborhood...

One of largest colonials in subdivision. Thoroughly updated: new KT w/stainess, granite & maple; all new BA's w/maple vanities, granite & ceramic tile; hardwood floors in all living areas on main & upper levels. Large KT w/big breakfast rm; FR w/ cath. ceilings & 2 slylights; master BR w/cath. ceiling & walk-in closet; hall BA w/skylight; deck w/open space in rear; 2-car grg.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Steve- you mentioned something about your wife hitting the slopes mid-week when they are cheap. Does she work? If not, is her going back to work a possibility? Your step-daughter is close to graduating from high school and probably self-sufficient, so I would think she might have the time. Seems to me a couple of grand a month might help you close the gap regardless of whether you sell the 993.

Quick Reply: If you had to pick just 1 car to keep, which one would you keep? (993 vs 740i)