Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Polyurethane

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010 | 04:37 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Default Painting Polyurethane

I thought since so many of you have purchased GT3 TEK 993RS Polyurethane RS parts in the Group Buy I'd post a new thread regarding how to prep and paint.

Urethane componets require a different cleaning and painting procedure to obtain a proper finish.

Equipment needed:
1 can Comet or Ajax cleanser (you probably have some under your kitchen sink)
1 to 2 Scotch Brite scrub pads (you probably have some under your kitchen sink)

Once the urethane componets have been pre-fitted Clean & Scrub them as follows:
Using plenty of hot water and plenty of scouring powder (Comet/Ajax) on a Scotch Brite scrub pad, scrub each part throughly until there are no shiny spots. For the very best, result repeat that procedure one more time.

The goal is to achieve a dull even finish on all surfaces to be painted!

Priming the scrubbed part:
Any automotive primer will provide excellent adhesion to the part if the surface was properly prepared, however, I do not recommend using laquer primers on urethane componets due to it being too rigid (it will crack).
Elastomeric primer (flex agent added) will yield the very best result but you may also use acrylic primer if you choose (not as good).

A light sanding is recommended after the primer has dried and before final color painting.

Final paint:
I highly recommend you only use an Elastomeric paint (flex agent added) for the very best result.

Almost all auto body shop currently work with elastomeric paints so this is not something new to your painter.

Please let me now if you have any other questions regarding prep of polyurethane parts.

Cheers,
Joel Bowman

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 03-04-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2010 | 05:40 PM
cmat
Racer

Very good information.....thanks Joel. Do you know of any specific aerosal primers and paints that are suitable? I see that Krylon claims that their Fusion paint will bond directly to plastic without a primer.
Old 03-04-2010 | 05:54 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Originally Posted by cmat
Very good information.....thanks Joel. Do you know of any specific aerosal primers and paints that are suitable? I see that Krylon claims that their Fusion paint will bond directly to plastic without a primer.
I'm not up on aerosol paints but I just had a friend use that exact paint on a GT3 Tek RUF Yellow Bird style polyurethane front spoiler on his 911SC and it appeared to have bonded well but I have no idea how long it will last or if it will crack.

When I get home I will post a photo of that part.

Joel
Old 03-04-2010 | 05:58 PM
axl911
Drifting

Autozone sells Rust-O-Leum plastic primer. Wonder if it would work.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...ame=Rust-Oleum
Old 03-04-2010 | 06:04 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Almost all auto body shop currently work with elastomeric paints so this is not something new to your painter.
Dumb question: is this because the bumper covers on 98% of cars today are also made of urethane?
Old 03-04-2010 | 06:09 PM
cmat
Racer

Here is the link to Fusion paint: http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Old 03-04-2010 | 06:14 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcdude
Dumb question: is this because the bumper covers on 98% of cars today are also made of urethane?
98% of todays cars have either polyurethane, PVC or fiberglass infused plastic bumper covers and all use elastomeric paints & primers.

Joel

PS: The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask
Old 03-04-2010 | 11:01 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Oh yea, one other very important thing I forgot to mention.

Prior to applying the primer DO NOT TOUCH THE UPAINTED SURFACE!!, the oil in your fingerprint could possibly cause the paint to lose adhesion.

Cheers.........

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 03-04-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2010 | 11:26 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Duplicolor now has a self-etching primer, anyone know if this stuff is flexible.

Quick Reply: Painting Polyurethane