Sponsored by:

Porsche Workshop CD

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ilko is right, if the CD contains material originally written by Porsche, then it IS copyright material and cannot be legally distributed on Rennlist.

Do you want Rennlist to be sued by Porsche and get shut down???

Please do not post copyright material or links for people to be able to illegally obtain copyright material here.

We don't need lessons on copyright definitions and law, we just need that stuff kept off Rennlist!

Marc
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Please do not post copyright material or links for people to be able to illegally obtain copyright material here.
Well nothing copyrighted has been posted on this thread, so relax. Of course, what happens on PMs is private.

On the other side of the coin, if someone (Porsche, MGM, SONY) doesn't want their previously available material copied, then maybe they should make it available to those who want to buy it.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Well nothing copyrighted has been posted on this thread, so relax.
I'm quite relaxed, thanks - beer in hand and the weekend off.

If you reread the thread more slowly and carefully, you'll realize my comments were directed at cy7878 who seemed under the impression his newly purchased CD was somehow all public domain material and was offering to post it to Rennlist.

Marc
Old 03-06-2010, 04:32 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm quite relaxed, thanks - beer in hand and the weekend off.

If you reread the thread more slowly and carefully, you'll realize my comments were directed at cy7878 who seemed under the impression his newly purchased CD was somehow all public domain material and was offering to post it to Rennlist.

Marc
Hi Moderator,

Did you actually read my posts or are you just jumping on me for fun? I am not here to "distribute copy protected material" but somehow Ilk started lecturing me on copyright and you assume the same.

I was responding to a tread from a fellow member that he bought a CD that was "available freely on-line" and the content was "incomplete" and that people need not waste their money. I bought a CD on-line and before receiving it, I commented that if the CD I bought is freely available on-line then it must be public domain.

I posted no link and did not post any of the content on Rennlist. Why are you still picking on me? Maybe I need to start drinking and ignore further posts.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Marc
I have followed along and so far, no links to anything copyrighted has been posted.

What he "might" do in the future "off line" or through PMs is his business and has nothing to do with "my" thread.

Furthermore, he really doesn't have to bother getting into the distribution business. The Porsche 993 service manual is readily available by Googling it. I have a downloaded copy. I wanted and paid for what I thought was an "original" off eBay only to find out through replies on this thread that Porsche never offered the manual on CD.

Maybe Porsche NA should go after these sellers on eBay. That low life inbred got very low ratings from me.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:23 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I think this "sour grapes" thread has run its course
Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
I think this "sour grapes" thread has run its course
Yup, we're all informed now as to what is and is not an official service manual.

At least others coming across this thread in the future will know.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Yup we are done - I'll move on to picking on someone else now.

Marc
Old 03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Yup we are done - I'll move on to picking on someone else now.

Marc
Marc, why don't we have a reference section with index (or do we) where certain things can be looked up such as Workshop Manuals. Are they available, if so, where from, what are the other options, etc.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

They were nice enough to give me a full refund for the CD that was not as advertised.

No response from them yet as to whether they want the CD back or not, not that I'm willing to send it back at my expense.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Marc, why don't we have a reference section with index (or do we) where certain things can be looked up such as Workshop Manuals. Are they available, if so, where from, what are the other options, etc.
You're right - that would be nice but I suspect IB has not pursued that as it would be far too expensive to license the Workshop Manual from Porsche to put on line.

IIRC, Pelican had workshop manual diagrams online but were ordered to remove them by Porsche.

Marc

Quick Reply: Porsche Workshop CD