Sponsored by:

Final step...Dealer alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Final step...Dealer alignment?

I decided to make an appointment with the dealer in Grand Rapids, MI for my alignment. I was going to make it a point to not use the dealer for the 993 but gave them a call and asked some questions...
"how familiar are techs with 993?" Do they have AND KNOW HOW TO PROFICIENTLY USE the Kinematic tool?", etc.

They assured me that they see those cars regularily (I dont know how, they are all in Europe, arent they?)...and that Nick and Brady do in fact have experience with the K tool.

I know Nick and Brady...good techs and who treat you like a Porsche owner, not a Buick leaser. (no offense to Buick owners). I hope they are correct.

Now the question is...
Do I set up with ROW standard or ROW sport?
I have PSS10's and drive on the street...and will maybe visit the track once or twice a year.

ROW is 154mm front 147mm rear
ROW sport is 144mm front 127mm rear

I am leaning towards ROW sport height. Opinions?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ROW sport looks great and is still high enough that you can traverse most gutters and speed bumps without trouble.

dave
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went ROW sport height and have no problems with most common road obstacles. Only once in a while do I have issues. I just learn to avoid certain places

And as Dave says, that height looks perfect.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I went ROW sport height and have no problems with most common road obstacles. Only once in a while do I have issues. I just learn to avoid certain places

And as Dave says, that height looks perfect.
+1...You'll just have to learn which driveways to take at an angle and be a little more aware of curbs in parking lots.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Here is what I have been told...

if you lower the car too much (whatever that is), the kinematic toe tool can't be used. I would love to be wrong on this!

If someone were to contact Joel Reiser, PCA Technical Advisor, he could confirm or dispel this bit of trivia.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
if you lower the car too much (whatever that is), the kinematic toe tool can't be used. I would love to be wrong on this!

If someone were to contact Joel Reiser, PCA Technical Advisor, he could confirm or dispel this bit of trivia.
IIRC at RS height or lower the Porsche Factory K tool cannot be used, you must use the Porsche Motorsport tool (or the Autometric Copy).

At RS height the angle of the arms will not allow for a correct measurement of K-Toe.

PS: ROW Sport is a great height.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Last note...

I had a Gert front protection bar on my car for a few years. I swear I never hit anything.....you'd be surprised at how many nicks and dings were in the FPB. And, my car was riding on M030 RoW suspension. Just a FYI, and for what it's worth.

With our road infrastructure melting down, I don't see the roads getting any better for a while. I am certain the government has taken most of the Highway Trust Fund and used it for ????, certainly not for the good of the people. Whoops, a mini-rant crept out! Sorry.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

I am certain the government has taken most of the Highway Trust Fund and used it for ????, certainly not for the good of the people. Whoops, a mini-rant crept out! Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Now you are just going to have to crawl back into your little boat in shame!

Yes, I live in Michigan and roads here are CERTAINLY NOT going to get better anytime soon! I have Gert's bar on my short list already. And the info on the K tool helps guys...thanks. I am pretty much decided on ROW sport and will bring my little alignment data sheet with me to the dreaded dealer!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 PM
matt777
Drifting

I went to the bottom of the ROW Sport spec and have no issues. I don't have to deal with steep driveways though. The dealer did a good job on the alignment (as far as I know) and was even competitive.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt777
I went to the bottom of the ROW Sport spec and have no issues. I don't have to deal with steep driveways though. The dealer did a good job on the alignment (as far as I know) and was even competitive.
Nice to know...dealer here is 150 which I thought was pretty good
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Own your own KT setting tools -- take it with you to any higher end alignment shop.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Toe_...p/ta-993tg.htm

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93163.htm
Old 03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by ABCar
Nice to know...dealer here is 150 which I thought was pretty good
I think I paid closer to $500 with corner balancing. The local Porsche independent guy was in the same ballpark. I got mixed stories on whether they had the kinematic tool.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:54 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi There

I have just been doing my suspension and as an interim measure was going to do use the following tools to get useable settings.

Firstly for the toe settings a "Gunsons Trackrite" which is a device you drive over and a pointer gives you the degrees of toe in and out. They are actually very accurate and it is easy to check the car after hitting a pothole or kerbing.

For camber I was going to buy a digital spirit level. One of the ones that has an arm that comes out seems best.

And for the kinematic I was going to use my previously marked settings and try to borrow a gauge.

Berni
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice all. One more question...Once aligned can I raise and lower my PSS10's without affecting my alignment or will it change at different heights?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunatly no, any changes in ride height will change your alignment settings.

Quick Reply: Final step...Dealer alignment?