Sponsored by:

Must/Mold removal HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Must/Mold removal HVAC

I have a moldy/musty smell in my HVAC system. In researching I have found that some products are sprayed into the vents and some (like BG fidgi clean) are sprayed more directly into the evaporator.
2 questions:

1. Where would I access a line or tube to spray a product directly into the evaporator, preferrably without disassembling my 993!

2. Is there an AC drain tube I can clear and where would I find that?

The stink burns the nose, and any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I can't help in how to do it with the 993. But, fwiw, I used to have a "new-age Zen master" mechanic work on my old Volvo 850 T5R and he used colloidal silver to get rid of the bacteria that was causing mold and mildew in the HVAC, Seriously. And it actually worked. Plus no smelly harsh chemical fix stuff or chemical fumes to breathe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Good luck. Mold can be stubborn. Not good health-wise either.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Wow...as a natural health care provider, I love this idea already.
Can anybody chime in how to get it where it belongs? (through vents, evap tubes?)
Thanks for the idea!

Andy
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 PM
wheeze
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I have a moldy/musty smell in my HVAC system. In researching I have found that some products are sprayed into the vents and some (like BG fidgi clean) are sprayed more directly into the evaporator.
2 questions:

1. Where would I access a line or tube to spray a product directly into the evaporator, preferrably without disassembling my 993!

2. Is there an AC drain tube I can clear and where would I find that?

The stink burns the nose, and any help would be appreciated!

Andy,
Give us some more details, when you turn your heat on? what temp? when you turn your AC on ?(has it gotten that warm in Michigan?) Do you think it was something that was used to "freshen " up the car before you got it
Thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

No its the arena red and beighe! Ha

No, it is a sharp earthy smell...like mold or mildew...comes into the car with heat (basically its always there more or less.) It was there when I bought the car in Nov and then I stored it all winter and its still there. Not HORRIBLE but certainly not right. I think its the ac evaporator because it smells like moisture gone bad.

Andy
Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM
wheeze
Advanced

Pollen filters? Dead mouse? Time to check with Holt what they used
Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Oh hey wheeze...I didnt even realize that was you! How is your new car working out? I know you paid alot less and it probably smells alot better too. Actually, Holt replaced those pollen filters and It's not a dead mouse smell (ask me how I know that one!). No, it is mold/mildew I am sure...I just wonder the easiest way to "kill the evaporative inhabitant" mold! I ordered some stuff from autogeek that another RL'r used (einziett i think). Anyone know if spraying it right into the vents is sufficient or is there access from the pollen filter area without dissassembling the whole front end?
I am getting my Colloidal Ag tommorow too and see if Canyon's "Zen-Methode" works!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
wheeze
Advanced

Good luck fixing this issue, let us know how it turns out.
I am afraid to turn my air on now, but so far no smell with heat. My car is doing great. Got an oil change, new tires,new shift **** and new speakers. Found a great local indie repair shop. Can't wait for some nice weather
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 551 Likes on 374 Posts

Check out a foaming product specifically for this from
Einzett I think. I picked
a can from Detailers Domain ( no affil) after reading about it in the concours section.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:01 AM
ipapilot
Intermediate

Ozium does a good job of removing mold and mildew smells....
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Default 70's super dork!

Wow, Ozium! I used to use that in my first car that I shared with mom at age 16. Ah the 70's...we made lots of good, and mostly illeagal smells in that Chevy on Friday and Saturday nights. I was sure Ozium was helping at the time but I bet my mom could smell right through that stuff! Maybe I will spray some in and get high just remembering!
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

You can access the evaporator from either side by removing either or both pollen filter covers (and the filters) and then looking in sideways. If your problem is only when the heat is on, you might also check the rubber hoses under the engine for some kind of deterioration or something.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
Check out a foaming product specifically for this from
Einzett I think. I picked
a can from Detailers Domain ( no affil) after reading about it in the concours section.
Did you spray it down the vents?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
ipapilot
Intermediate

That's too funny Maybe you could pick up some incense to burn in there and get the hippie smell going! In all seriousness, I just picked up a well used Nissan Xterra that had been smoked in and it had a bad smoker smell. I had the interior shampoo'd and it was only somewhat better. I Ozium'd the interior twice, once with the heat on and once with the A/C, and the smell is dramatically better. I was able to get it through all the ducting by spraying it from the outside, and removing the cabin filter of course.... The Ozium smell was gone by the next day and the smoker smell is 98% better...

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,395 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Did you spray it down the vents?
I think the foam should be sprayed at the evap, which is pretty easy to access through the pollen filter holes.

My car has a bit of odor as well, so I'm waiting to hear what works.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Must/Mold removal HVAC