Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Must/Mold removal HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advice...this helps. I will let you know in the next few days my results. I am wondering about what falcon driver said about the heater tubes. When I put my PSS10's on I noticed the heater tubes look very "ratty". This is no the fun part of the slippery slope for sure!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you could get UVC energy in the condenser you could kill the Molds that cause the smell. The coil is in such a tight space, the only way I could see cleaning it would be to remove and wash all the components. But the mold will return and the first time you turn the A/C on you'll be smelling it again. IMO this is a bad problem in cars. This is why I rarely use the recirculation button. Yes the system cools faster but I get to breathe all the great stuff coming off the coil. Nice Huh?

You could buy a UVC portable unit, remove the filters, and set the lamp inside to shin the UV on the coil. But I'd make sure to avoid eye contact and cover anything that might deteriorate under high doses of UV.

I'm not to trying to promote or sell on here, but this is what I do for a living to Hospital, and Commercial HVAC systems.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can access the boot side of the evaporator by removing the pollen filters.

From the cabin side, you can pull out the radio and get to the evaporator by lifting the air re-circulation flap.

It's a long time ago, but I made a post about this on the 964 forum. Try to see if it is still there.

Good luck!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:14 AM
DavidMilligan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which cleaning product do you prefer for mold removal in the HVAC unit?
Old 11-10-2020, 01:42 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
I have a moldy/musty smell in my HVAC system. In researching I have found that some products are sprayed into the vents and some (like BG fidgi clean) are sprayed more directly into the evaporator.
2 questions:

1. Where would I access a line or tube to spray a product directly into the evaporator, preferrably without disassembling my 993!

2. Is there an AC drain tube I can clear and where would I find that?

The stink burns the nose, and any help would be appreciated!
See the " Improving Air Conditioning performance " section on the below page:

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ditioning.html

I am sure there is a cleaner specifically made for cleaning AC Evaporators that have anti-fungal properties, Google my friend!

Andy

Quick Reply: Must/Mold removal HVAC