Sponsored by:

Interior getting wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 AM
blotapic
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Interior getting wet

Hi everyone, lately it's been raining a lot here and I've noticed that it's getting wet under my back carpets, has anyone else had this problem? Afraid of the long term effects like rust, etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:54 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Seems like years ago I remember folks talking about clogged sunroof drain tubes as the culprit for water under the rear seats. Maybe try searching for sunroof, wet and clog to see if anything comes up.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:24 AM
blotapic
AutoX

The seach helped a lot, thanx John! I'll start by trying the sunroof fix
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Happened on both 993's I had

Rarely drove it in the rain, but if it rained hard and was stuck in it...the back carpets would get wet. Make sure you dry it out well and check the sunroof tracks for debris, also, if there are any flaws in the window or door seals the water can track it's way in. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been plaguing me as well. Checked the drain hoses and still can't find the culprit.

dave
Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I vaguely remember reading that apart from the sunroof drain holes there are some seams near the back of the sills that water can get up.

Berni
Old 02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
blotapic
AutoX

I haven't had the chance to check the car yet, but I just remembered to add that I recently had my differential and gearbox replaced, is there anything they could've forgotten to have sealed at the shop? Just noticed the problem a few days ago but have no idea how long it's been wet for.
I'll try check it and dry it tomorrow. Thanks for pitching in everyone
Old 02-27-2010, 11:53 PM
jhubs
Racer

Do a water leak test.
Place paper towels all along the lower part of the rear window on the inside of the car.
Go outside and gently spray water all over the rear window for 1-2 minutes.
Go inside and carefully examine the paper towels to determine if there is a leak.
This will not hurt anything and provide a means of possibly determining where the leaks are.

Take a close look at your back windows and their seals. The rear window lower corners are sometimes the problem. You would be surprised how water can work its way down the inside back window deck, down the backrest seat panel, along the side panels and end up on to floor. And, if it is the rear window you may also have water under the rear seat butt cushions and laying in those wells.

Try this as a Fix. Let the car windows dry for a couple of days and purchase some black window silicone and use a chop stick to pry up the rubber seal on the outside 1/2 way down the sides of the rear window and all along the bottom and squirt in a thin line of the black silicone.

Place 2" blue painter's tape over the window gasket in order to hold the gasket down against the glass and leave it for 2 days to cure. After two days remove the tape and use a little water and a single edge razor blade to remove any extra silicone from the window surface.
Then, Re-do the inside paper towel test.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Water leaks can be challenging, and you need to pursue the more likely sources as indicated above. But, I struggled with this problem behind the driver's seat for about a year until a test involving pressurized smoke inside the car helped discover that water was making it's way along the threads of a transmission mounting bolt and into this area ... a bit of goo on the bolt and it sealed up sufficiently. This was nearly impossible to find because it only happened above 70mph on wet roads. Good luck,
Old 02-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it happen when you rive in rain or just when car sits in rain?

If it happens when you drive in rain, I bet it's the caulking on those rear wheelarch seams.
If just when sitting, I'd guess sunroof.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:15 AM
blotapic
AutoX

I've been pretty sick this week so i keep putting this off, but i should do it in the next few days.

jhubs - Thank you for the detailed advice, the seal on the window did seem a bit loose to me so that could be the problem, but it could also be the same problem as the_buch, seeing as the car had recently been worked on in that area, and seems like just the kind of mistake a dealership would make.

Finn - I have no idea when it gets wet, Theres not a high flow of water, it's just very damp.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jhubs
Do a water leak test.

Try this as a Fix. Let the car windows dry for a couple of days and purchase some black window silicone and use a chop stick to pry up the rubber seal on the outside 1/2 way down the sides of the rear window and all along the bottom and squirt in a thin line of the black silicone.

Place 2" blue painter's tape over the window gasket in order to hold the gasket down against the glass and leave it for 2 days to cure. After two days remove the tape and use a little water and a single edge razor blade to remove any extra silicone from the window surface.
Then, Re-do the inside paper towel test.

Good luck!
Hmm, not sure if I would do this. My reasoning is that the real seal is the urethane bond between the glass and the window frame, the outside seal is just a cosmetic seal, and is certainly not waterproof. If water is getting past a window, then the urethane seal is leaking. Lots of time that seal delaminates due to rust ; the urethane is bonded to the paint, and when rust gets under the paint, it can separate.

By sealing the outside seal, you can effectively trap water between the two seals, and then it can rust very quickly (especially over the rear with the heat from the engine).

I know this because I have personally experienced it, the end result was a 1.5 years struggle with an uncooperative Porsche dealer to fix the car under the 10 year rust warranty (after they fixed a leak exactly like you just stated, it rusted and delaminated the rear window). Finally, Porsche corporate came through and supplied me with an entire brand-new Targa roof. So it can happen!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Interior getting wet