Sponsored by:

Door latch/trigger problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door latch/trigger problem

My 96 C4S drivers side doo handle "trigger", outside latch is becoming more difficult to open. It is looser or takes more travel to unlatch than the seldom used passenger side. This morning (15 degrees), it stuck and would not open at all. I've sprayed some silicone in the lock, and managed to barely open the door, but I'd like a more permanent fix.
Does the inside mechanism just need lube, or might there be parts that need adjustment or replacement?
Help and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Michael
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bump

anyone?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Lube will likely do it. Had the same problem last year on my '98. Surprisingly, the pax side was worse than the driver's. Pulled both door cards so I could unbolt the outside handle and also get at the latch mechanism. You really need to remove the handles to do a proper lube that should last for another 10-15 years.

IIRC, there's a fairly short rod that slides in and out of the handle area. Spraying through the lock doesn't reach it. I think I used silicone grease. There may be a DIY somewhere on RL about this job. It isn't too difficult but space can be tight if your hands are large.

Quick Reply: Door latch/trigger problem