Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 993 HiFi Speaker Grills, Enclosures - Targa Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 05:15 PM
alexjohnson
Cruisin'

Default WTB 993 HiFi Speaker Grills, Enclosures - Targa Upgrade

I have a 1997 Targa with the stock stereo installed. I replaced the head unit with a Becker Cascade 7945 but one of the speakers has blown, another is on the way out, and as an Audible (books-on-"tape") listener I've been annoyed both by the mild hum coming from the poor Din-8 connection to the amp, and its not being loud enough to hear well with the roof down. So, time to upgrade. I didn't by the car new; if I had, I would have put the HiFi system in. And I would like that look.

So, having investigated the HiFi sound option (and the difference between that and the Nokia DSP) I want to buy the speaker grills and enclosures for the front and rear speakers. I am in London so if you're in the UK and have ripped these out so much the better but international postage does not worry me! I am planning to use Auto Audio in Park Royal to put proper 2010-era speakers and an amp in the car behind the 1997-era grills.

This pic I found below shows the difference, and (some of) the parts.

In this thread:
WTB Hi-Fi Speaker Grill
I see reference to "Sunset". The Oregon people? Anyone know someone similar a little closer to (my) home?

Many thanks.

Alex
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2010 | 08:22 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Note that the Targas don't have the Hi-Fi rear speakers because I assume the "blister" on the grill will interfere with the glass top. I have the full factory HI-FI and DSP on my Targa and the rear speaker grills are flat. The good news is it's easy to retrofit a new coax speaker using the stock grills with just a little modification.

As to the fronts the HI-FI door enclosures only allowed for an additional mid-range speaker. You can sometimes (rarely) find the Hi-Fi door enclosures on E-Bay but if it were me I'd just upgrade the existing single speaker as many others here have done.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:05 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

I have the hi-fi enclosures, but without grills. I would be more than happy to price shipping to you, if you decide to go this route. I think the small speakers may need replacing. No charge for the enclosures.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:35 PM
Warpig
Pro

You should be capable of dropping just about any quality brand of 5 1/4 inch speakers in the stock (non Hi-Fi) spots. Some 6 1/2 inchers will fit in there too from what I heard. I dropped a great pair of JL Audio ZR 650 6 1/2's in my stock locations with a spacer ring. the pair I chose were not a pair of 6 1/2s that dropped right in. Either way unless you are in love with the looks of the hi-fi option door enclosures and grills and can get all the parts you need for a fair price I'd just use the stock locations. I was searching for the exact parts you desire and found a set. The seller never quoted me a price. I went ahead and just put the baddest 6 1/2's I could afford right into the doors. Very happy I did. It looks great and sounds spectacular.

Nick
Old 02-24-2010 | 02:40 AM
alexjohnson
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Note that the Targas don't have the Hi-Fi rear speakers because I assume the "blister" on the grill will interfere with the glass top. I have the full factory HI-FI and DSP on my Targa and the rear speaker grills are flat. The good news is it's easy to retrofit a new coax speaker using the stock grills with just a little modification.

As to the fronts the HI-FI door enclosures only allowed for an additional mid-range speaker. You can sometimes (rarely) find the Hi-Fi door enclosures on E-Bay but if it were me I'd just upgrade the existing single speaker as many others here have done.
That's very good to know, thank you.
Old 02-26-2010 | 06:41 AM
alexjohnson
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by e3photo
I have the hi-fi enclosures, but without grills. I would be more than happy to price shipping to you, if you decide to go this route. I think the small speakers may need replacing. No charge for the enclosures.

Cheers,
Emerald
That's very kind, thank you. It may just be easier to source the lot together, but can I ask, how does the carpeting over the door work? What did you do with your carpeting? I am not asking for that - my interior is the cashmere [beige] colour so the chances of your even having that are very small - I am just curious.

This argues against even bothering, of course, but in answer to Warpig, yes, I do prefer the look.
Old 02-26-2010 | 12:31 PM
jusafan
Instructor

I've been wanting to upgrade my doors to the HiFi door piece as well. I have already installed an aftermarket 6.5" speaker, so I just want to get the door piece to make it look a little cleaner. I really like the pic on the link WTB Hi-Fi Speaker Grill because my interior is also cashmere. That one had matching colored speaker grills and even the window levers were the same color (of course that's a separate part). Any idea where I could find something like this?
Old 02-26-2010 | 03:45 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Where did you buy your Becker?
Old 02-26-2010 | 05:09 PM
Gerry Kokoszka
Rennlist Member

I have front black leather door panels with hi fi speakers and grilles that I would consider selling. I do not have the rear speakers to go with them. Call if interestred 714 313 2090.
Old 02-26-2010 | 07:58 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

The PO had the hi-fi enclosures removed and a nice set of Mille speakers installed. The doors look original as the carpet was not damaged, and the existing grill was used. Hope this helps. The sound is amazing.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 02-27-2010 | 07:08 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Emerald, do you have any pictures of the install? I am I correct in assuming the PO removed the Hi-Fi pods, made his own pods/setup and put it back inside the Hifi-enclosures?
Old 02-27-2010 | 09:16 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Here is a picture of the install. It was done by Car Audio Innovations. They put Hertz Mille 6.5's in the door. They are driven by a Kenwood Excelon Reference Fit compact 125x4 amp under the passenger seat. Boz Scaggs never sounded better.

Cheers,
Emerald
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
sacman (06-16-2022)
Old 02-28-2010 | 11:49 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Ok cool. Looks very neat (original). Do you have the speaker pods (the big black ones) under there or did they just leave them out? The HI-FI door panels are quite big so I guess you could fit quite nice speakers under there while retaining the original looks. Very well done either way!
Old 02-28-2010 | 01:15 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

The pods are in a box in the garage
Thanks for the compliments.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 02-28-2010 | 04:58 PM
alexjohnson
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by e3photo
Here is a picture of the install. It was done by Car Audio Innovations. They put Hertz Mille 6.5's in the door. They are driven by a Kenwood Excelon Reference Fit compact 125x4 amp under the passenger seat. Boz Scaggs never sounded better.

Cheers,
Emerald
Well that's the look I want.

Quick Reply: WTB 993 HiFi Speaker Grills, Enclosures - Targa Upgrade