Sponsored by:

My 993 Race Car Project Is Done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:55 AM
Change
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool car you have Evan,
Little question, where did you buy the front bumper..
Was there a lot of customization?

I bought mine from Reenspd.com, but is not satisfied with the product.
It has a bad fit..!

Endre
Norway
Old 02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Great car. That looks like a blast to drive. What's it weigh?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Change
Cool car you have Evan,
Little question, where did you buy the front bumper..
Was there a lot of customization?

I bought mine from Reenspd.com, but is not satisfied with the product.
It has a bad fit..!

Endre
Norway
I do not know where the bumper was purchased originally (came on the car) but I can attest that the quality was terrible. The PO had winched the car into the nitrogen tank in his trailer and the drivers side of the bumper was crushed and the fender had exploded. There are 6 yards of glass, two quarts of West Systems, and several cans of spray foam that I added to the front bumper and fenders trying to make them stronger so the they would survive cone hits. It is quite strong now but still the fit is not really worthy of anything but a race car. As a reference, the hood is an original motorsports Carbon/Kevlar unit and even the fit on that is not the best. I think if a really nice fit is important, stock parts are really the only way to go. The main gripe I have with the bumper is that the driver side duct work for the oil cooler was designed for something smaller than the C2 cooler that is in there so it hangs out a little and the factory bumper mounts had to be cut out for the brake ducting to fit.

As for the weight of the car, I have not weighed it yet but the car is a pretty close replica to a RSR (the shop that built the car had a real RSR sitting next to it during the build and copied a lot) so based upon that I would say it is around 2425lb +-75lb. The rear of the car and roof are all steel. Doors, front fenders, hood, and bumper are composite. The cage is a RSR replica with slightly beefier driver door bars. Suspension, brakes, wheels etc. are all RSR parts or very similar.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Evan Fullerton; 02-22-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW! Great car Evan, thanks for sharing. Most crossers around here poo poo 993's as being tanks. Your beast would get their attention.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

2400 sounds about right from what you are telling me. My car weighed 2391 with only a few gallons of fuel and passenger seat out of the car. Mine is a narrow body though and you have more steel in the rear, otherwise the same car.

Never tried mine at an Auto x but may give it a try just to go play.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Greg Fordahl won a SCCA AX National Championship in a 993 so don't count one out. I don't understand why people think 993s are bad at AX. I had two people tell me that they were surprised by my car. Considering a GT3 is one of the more competitive cars in ASP, I see no reason why a 993 wouldn't be as good (though down on power). In my mind a 993 is just an aircooled GT3 once you do some suspension work.

I think my car with less caster (it was really pushy at large steering angles due to greatly reduced contact patch) and some A6s could be competitive in SCCA FP but I have decided to sell it and build a 95 993 RS/CS replica as I ran the numbers of what it is going to cost to rent a truck and trailer for every event, not to mention all the extra effort and it just doesn't make sense. I live 10 minutes from our local events at El Toro and have 2 tracks less than 2 hours away (Cal Speed way and Willow Springs) and it is just dumb to spend 3 hours renting and loading the trailer to go to any of these places for a AX or track day. I don't plan on doing anything more than a TT in the near future as I don't have the time or money to do Club racing so I think this is the sensible way to go.

I will be officially putting the car up for sale in the next couple of days when I have the time to do it right.

Last edited by Evan Fullerton; 02-23-2010 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 AM
blotapic
AutoX

Who makes the spoiler? Is it effective at all?
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Spoiler is a factory Porsche Motorsports GT3R wing element with custom uprights. 60" (152.5 cm) wide and quite deep. I would say that it is very effective at speeds over 100mph (160kph).
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
blotapic
AutoX

I'd never seen it before, thanx for the info! Sorry to see you're selling it...

Last edited by blotapic; 02-27-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:52 AM
avidtest
Racer

I saw your ad for sale - good luck to you Evan. It's a nice car. I will share my own experience though, in a street legal 993 that was tracked quite a bit for 2 years in TT. I found that it was much better to trailer it to events. Especially if it was more than a single day event, which most of them are at the big tracks. Tools, extra wheels/tires, spares, room for family and a means to travel to restaurants in the evening were all a big plus for towing over driving the car to events. And if the car were to suffer damage or mechanical failure, I didn't have to worry about how I was going to get home. My tranny took a **** in Pahrump once on the 3rd lap of the 1st day. I simply loaded it on the trailer and drove home. I would've hated to have paid someone to transport it all the way back to SD.

Also, you've pretty much got a real race car there (there's always room for improvement and $$$$ to be spent of course). However, don't kid yourself and think that you'll be satisfied with just AX and TT though. Sooner or later, you'll want to race wheel to wheel......or you'll move on to another hobby. I got tired of my pretty street/track 993 taking rock chip hits, not to mention the compromise of having a street/track car that can never really be a podium car at the track, and also isn't really comfortable enough to regularly enjoy driving on the street. If I'd had a pure track car, it would not have been an issue. It was though. So, very soon, I'll be vintage racing a 1970 Datsun 510 (Porsche purists, please don't puke). If I'd have started out in a pure Porsche race car, it would probably have been an overall less expensive proposition than where I'm at today ($40K to $50K 993 plus a $30K 510). Not to mention, driving your street legal 993 on the streets is almost always an exercise in frustration - you can never drive the car it like it should be driven, safely, especially here in SoCal....although, I admit, the car wil look damn good when you decide to bring it out. Just food for thought.....
Old 02-28-2010, 04:14 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

While I agree with you 100% there, I don't have the money or time to do Club Racing. What is probably not well known here beyond a select few that know me from events is that I am a 19 year old full time College student, who just happens to have a passion for cars, understanding parents (possibly more than this as my Dad and I are mutually bad influences on each other when it comes to cars), and a fair bit of disposable income; at least for someone my age. Having no expenses and little responsibility, now is the time to live life without regrets if there ever was one.

I keep going back and forth on the issue but the reality is that if I had a street legal 993 or even a 3.2L Carrera, it would get a lot more use. I would be able to take it out on a Sat morning for a PCH drive, be able to attend more events, and generally just have more fun with it. Before this car I had a very heavily modified 914-4 that was everything that I needed for my usage other than the engine was not the most reliable thing in the world and I was beginning to question how much longer major suspension component were going to hold together with the big Hoosiers I was running on it. It was generating far more grip than it was ever designed for, and I just couldn't justify to my self spending more time and money on it to stiffen it up when no matter what I put into it, it was still going to be a 35 year old car. It was down to 1850lb, had a ok roll cage, decent suspension, a wicked 7500rpm $10K 2056cc motor (big $ and performance for what amounts to a VW van engine). Probably the coolest think about the car was it would light off a 2 foot blue flame out the tail pipe on rundown. Nothing quite says old school race car like huge cam shafts, high compression, carburetors and open headers After 3 years of driving the 914 and 3 engines, I had decided I needed something less high strung. I did get really good at pulling to motor on it though. I was originally going to get a 964 but when this 993 caught my attention, caution and planning sorta went out the window. I always figured if it didn't work out, I wouldn't loose too much money on it. I enjoy these car a lot and with my Dad having a hot early 911 and a 912E, I do have access to fun street Porsches but it just isn't quite the same when it isn't yours.

If I had a tow vehicle, this would be a non-issue and it wouldn't even be up For Sale, but at this point, it isn't going to happen and renting is really much more of a hustle than I need/want to deal with.

Say I broke down once a year at the track that is 250 miles away. It is only a ~$800 bill from AAA, which is not bad considering it would be $700 minimum to tow the car to an event the same distance away with a rented truck and trailer. I have Buttonwillow, WSIR, Cal Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and Pahrump in this radius so it is unlikely that I would go farther than this other than possibly Laguna Seca on the rare occasion. I don't foresee more than 4 or 5 track events and 10-12 AX events a year in my future so it would be money in the tire budget to not trailer.

We will see how things shake out but owing to the less than overwhelming interest in the 993, it is likely that I will be driving it for some time to come Can't say as I am too bummed about that.

Last edited by Evan Fullerton; 02-28-2010 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: My 993 Race Car Project Is Done!