Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Guards red, clear coat ??

Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guards red, clear coat ??

Whats the story with Porsches guards red?

I remember hearing somthing about that color not using clear coat, is that a fact?

There is a GR at Victory that has paint that looks as good as wet from the factory.

Am I wrong to think that this color did not use clear coat, which in turn makes it easy to cut and polish to keep looking new?

Old 02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

My 95 is not clear coated.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
My 95 is not clear coated.
I didn't think that any "solid" was clear coated. Metallic paint is another matter.

Are they clear coating solids nowadays?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Am I wrong to think that this color did not use clear coat, which in turn makes it easy to cut and polish to keep looking new?
Would you not get that "wet look" no matter if it was a solid or clear coat?

My BMW was a metallic (base coat - clear coat) and it looked wet all the time.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Rather then wet, I should say deep. It is a deep red, unlike a lot of the GR cars I see here in AZ. The sun fades that color fast here.

With out the clear coat, my logic is that the UV damaged paint could be cut down to fresh paint?

All the orange 944's in Arizona keep me from guards red, but if it can be "serviced", I may think again.

Now that you say that IXL8R, I was looking at Skywatchers glacier white car last weekend and don't think it had a clear coat.

I have never owned a Porsche with out clear coat, they all have had metalic in the paint though.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '95 and it doesn't have clear coat. I've talked to another Rennlister who has a '96 GR and it's two stage.
Randy
Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
With out the clear coat, my logic is that the UV damaged paint could be cut down to fresh paint?
I once had to do so to my mom's old Toyota Tercel, a solid red. I would always prefer to use a finer polish and take more time to get the job done than the other way around. I use Meguiars Swirl Remover as my everyday polish.

I would tend to think that darker colors take a beating down there, not just red.

Having had nothing but normal everyday cars, I use Meguiars Professional Products in the tan bottles. I've been extremely happy with that line of car care products. Having been to some of the links on the RL threads, wow, there are some very pricey polishes with brand names I've never heard of.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by randytrish
I have a '95 and it doesn't have clear coat. I've talked to another Rennlister who has a '96 GR and it's two stage.
Randy
I guess one way to find out is to apply your favorite polish to a soft cotton cloth not in the color of your car and rub the paint with it.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Guards Red is a Single Stage paint on the 993. There is no clear coat. It is exactly for that reason it looks so deep/wet when well polished and waxed. The orbital pad will have a lot of red paint lift off onto it after polishing that paint. No worries though, the amount that comes off is actually tiny tiny, but it looks like a lot.

To this day, I haven't seen any 993 color "pop" as much as Guards Red when it is detailed really well. It almost looks orange.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:50 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Guards Red is a Single Stage paint on the 993. There is no clear coat. It is exactly for that reason it looks so deep/wet when well polished and waxed. The orbital pad will have a lot of red paint lift off onto it after polishing that paint. No worries though, the amount that comes off is actually tiny tiny, but it looks like a lot.

To this day, I haven't seen any 993 color "pop" as much as Guards Red when it is detailed really well. It almost looks orange.
Jonathan,

This is exactly the info I was fishing for. Is it safe to say that a run down red can be restored in most cases to the deep red like the picture I posted by polishing through the paint? How often to keep it up?

With that said, all my 2 stage painted Porsches have had a slight texture from the factory (orange peal).

A single stage guards red car that is polished and waxed like the one above would have more of a smooth mirror like surface?
Which in turn, would make it easier for a novice painter to clean up blemishes on trim items?

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 02-21-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM
JSA993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answer to your question depends on the model year. As others posted earlier, '95 is single stage for sure. My '98 GR is base/clear from the factory. The exceptions are the front and rear bumper covers and third brake light cover which are single stage.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its news to me that they clear coated Guards Red in 98. I know that my 97 was Single Stage.

Calvin, here is a thread from the detailing of my 97:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...detailing.html

Not that the finish was in necessarily bad shape, but the results were remarkable. I would say that unless there is deep damage to the finish, you will find that it will restore beautifully. This detailer commented that it was one of the most glossy/wet paint jobs he had ever seen. On my car, he did a fair amount of orbital (not rotary) polish work on the swirls. He used professional stuff -- 3M, etc. You could do this yourself if you had the time and interest. I had the interest, but not the time. After he got the paint really blemish free, he used several coats of Zaino. That car looked a lot like the one you posted. In fact, if you look at my Avatar, he did the seat backs.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

+1

and on top of all that...GR is the fastest color 993. Just ask Johnny Law

Bob-
Attached Images   

Last edited by boulderbobo; 02-21-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

A lot of red are not clear coated. But that doesn't make it easier to polish or looking great. Paint is paint, weather clear or single, they both polish the same. Now, a non-clear coat is harder to keep up, as it will oxidize & fade fast if not maintained. Then it will turn pink.

Best way to find out if a car has clear, is to take a little bit of polish on a cloth, rub it in a little area if the cloth has color transfer, it's a single stage.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

SY was clear coated from MY '96 thought the other colors where to . . .
Was a thread on this a while ago . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guards red, clear coat ??