Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Has Uwe Gemballa been kidnapped???

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I smell made for TV movie here.....I hope it has a happy ending...maybe like in "Its a Wonderful Life"
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by future
You state on http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/gt/3...issing-14.html post #135 that "He has faced financial difficulty many times."

You did not reveil this earlier in this thread and quite to the contary!

But yes if there is any truth in this which I find hard to believe then I hope he returns to his family in good health
I owned my own business for 20 years. I faced financial difficulty many times. It's hard to own a business and not struggle.
I take a stand in support of my friend because I cannot fathom the circumstances, financial or otherwise, in which he would abandon his family and his life's work.
Until I am proven wrong, I will continue to stand by the character and integrity of my friend.
And I continue to pray for his safe return.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
future
Banned

I owned my own business for 20 years. I faced financial difficulty many times. It's hard to own a business and not struggle.
I take a stand in support of my friend because I cannot fathom the circumstances, financial or otherwise, in which he would abandon his family and his life's work.
Until I am proven wrong, I will continue to stand by the character and integrity of my friend.
Agreed and it is very nice to know that you are standing by your friend which we commend BUT I'm sure you are aware of the stringent accounting practices in Germany and it transpires that his accounts are far from fully accounted for and if he is in financial trouble with monies not accounted for as it is being reported then my bet is that he’s looking for a tax haven hence asking for the monies from his wife to be sent. I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that he was kidnapped only to call his wife and ask for her to send him money because he has had an “accident”!

If he had of been kidnapped then his hostage takers would have been the first on the phone with demands and this would not be hidden from the media. All this 1m euros report is very sketchy with limited information attached to it. This would be the normal practice for somebody trying to cover their tracks if they were actually found as further charges would/could not be brought against him for perverting the cause of justice and staging a kidnap if found to be the case.

As for setting up a new company in his mother’s name with an investment of 1k Euros, well that really says it all to be honest.

Still I hope he is found and accounted for soon irrespective of the truth.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Forgedwheeler
Intermediate

Originally Posted by future
Agreed and it is very nice to know that you are standing by your friend which we commend BUT I'm sure you are aware of the stringent accounting practices in Germany and it transpires that his accounts are far from fully accounted for and if he is in financial trouble with monies not accounted for as it is being reported then my bet is that he’s looking for a tax haven hence asking for the monies from his wife to be sent. I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that he was kidnapped only to call his wife and ask for her to send him money because he has had an “accident”!

If he had of been kidnapped then his hostage takers would have been the first on the phone with demands and this would not be hidden from the media. All this 1m euros report is very sketchy with limited information attached to it. This would be the normal practice for somebody trying to cover their tracks if they were actually found as further charges would/could not be brought against him for perverting the cause of justice and staging a kidnap if found to be the case.

As for setting up a new company in his mother’s name with an investment of 1k Euros, well that really says it all to be honest.

Still I hope he is found and accounted for soon irrespective of the truth.
There is so much about this that just doesn't add up. If he was just "skipping the country", wouldn't he arrange to take whatever money he could to SA with him?
If he was skipping, why SA, 8000 miles away?
If he was skipping, why would his wife report all this to the police? Wouldn't she skip with him?
Why would he create a new company if he was planning to skip?
I don't have any answers, just questions.

I am deeply saddened by all of this. I will just wait to see how it all plays out.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
future
Banned

This is only speculation but may have some truth ...
Africa has many Lawless states and is also somewhat of a haven now attracting much Russian money since Switzerland and Lichtenstein “on his door step” to Germany have been internationally pressured to release financial information on individuals who seek to hide monies. Spain to is now not a place to hide like it used to be in the late 70’s. South Africa is a great place to go “missing”, easy to move money and run foreign companies from whilst living docile. This could have been the reason for setting up a company in his mother name which is pretty much the same name as his current one – does the saying “going down like the Titanic and raising like the fiery Phoenix” ring a bell as it does to me?!?

Setting up a company in a family members name is common practice worldwide and ONLY done when you know you are in trouble to which you are responsible and will more than likely face legal action. Operating a GmbH company in Germany provides little protection as is the case with our company in Switzerland.

My main worries would be the countries he has targeted in recent years to sell his creations ... First Russia and then the UAE. Hell, travel to Moscow and it as if every rich 20+ year old kid is driving one of his kitted out Cayenne’s which have now taken over the popularity and status of the Mercedes G-Wagon as the car to be seen in/own. Mixing in these circles can be far from good for your health and travelling to Dubai when in financial difficulties is to be avoided at all costs – we have all heard the stories and I have heard that he had investments in his business from this country “hear say so no 100% fact”.

Then what about the reports about the meeting with this Czech billionaire businessman who has apparently a far from clean past when he arrived in South Africa. He was a customer I believe?!?

At the end of the day every man has his breaking point and he is a person who likes to be seen as a true socialite, so a company in financial difficulties would not do his image any good.

We have all heard the stories from other P-Car tuning companies in Germany operating in a less than legitimate manor to which we will mention no names.

To other countries a quick change in his business name along with the language barrier would do little damage and like the missing/stolen Porsche engines which turned up at one tuning company over there not so long ago, these stories soon become forgotten.

I guess the truth will come out soon one way or another and it is always possible that he has been kidnaped - Lets hope not.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Betsy W
Intermediate

What's got me puzzled is this: If he has been kidnapped, and his only hope for survival (barring escape or rescue) is to pay the ransom, then why has his wife declared bankruptcy? Wouldn't declaring bankruptcy pretty much signal to kidnappers that his family is not going to be able to pay the ransom?

If his personal and business finances are intermingled -- are they? -- then his business bankruptcy would seem to imply that he is also personally bankrupt. If Uwe is in danger, then no doubt his family is desperate to help him, but broadcasting the fact that *there is no money available* seems like the very last thing they'd want to do.

Could the bankruptcy be part of some plan to move money around to free up cash for the ransom?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Forgedwheeler
I would use the term FRIEND loosely....
New developments.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
future
Banned

What's got me puzzled is this: If he has been kidnapped, and his only hope for survival (barring escape or rescue) is to pay the ransom, then why has his wife declared bankruptcy? Wouldn't declaring bankruptcy pretty much signal to kidnappers that his family is not going to be able to pay the ransom?

If his personal and business finances are intermingled -- are they? -- then his business bankruptcy would seem to imply that he is also personally bankrupt. If Uwe is in danger, then no doubt his family is desperate to help him, but broadcasting the fact that *there is no money available* seems like the very last thing they'd want to do.
His wife has not filed for bankruptcy – she has call in the receivers due to insolvency. This is a cleaver move on her part because as she is a signatory director to the business, by doing this she could claim that she sat on the board as a silent director who plays no active part in the day-to-day running of the business. If the charges are serious which we do not have any details on then she can play the “I’m silly“ card which could partially exclude her from her husband’s actions if proved she had no part in his actions. Also by appointing a receiver, as the company employed about 40 staff, the receiver would then carry on running the business dependent upon what funds and assets are attached to the business – this appears to be the case and it is confirmed that receivers have entered the business to cost up assets to be frozen.

I very much dought that he kept his personal and business finances that connected and probably has accounts in various countries to skim money and invoice Gemballa direct from.

Could the bankruptcy be part of some plan to move money around to free up cash for the ransom?
Not likely and it’s always possible that one of his customers is pissed with him and owes substantial monies? To the average kidnapper in SA, I very much dought that they would recognise him as a target so if he has been kidnapped then I’m guessing this would be by somebody he has connections to QU Eastern Europe or the Middle East maybe – but we just do not know so speculation is just that.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

http://jalopnik.com/5477422/uwe-gemb...o-south-africa
Old 02-26-2010, 12:06 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tour18
It is a sad commentary that the media attacks everyone so visciously. Just last night I watched a program that brought up the nasty things printed and broadcast about Steve Fossett while he was laying out there dead on the side of a mountain. I hope Uwe gets out of this alive.

And anyone who wants to bash Uwe Gemballa's work, why don't you post pics and info on your personal achievements... So we can praise your creative and financial prowess...
I agree with the above statement and further think it's a sad commentary that not only the media attacks everyone so viciously, but members of a car community such as this do so as well. So many have negative comments to make based on information that was posted or stumbled upon across the internet.

If you believe every "fact" that the internet has to offer, or that which the media puts out to you, then I have a bridge I definitely think you should buy! People love to hate and it seems to be growing.. why? We hate on others achievements and as well as the lack thereof .. correct?

I for one was fortunate enough to visit Uwe Gemballa's shop in the late 80's early 90's and it was incredible to see the craftsmanship that went into his cars. Over the top, in many cases.. well crafted, always. Oh, and did I mention how open nice he and his employees were to the American that just happened to wander into his facility? In this current world economy there are many individuals, businesses, and corporations that are suffering & struggling financially.... how many of your brethren on this forum have you seen bow-out sell their P-cars for undisclosed reasons over the last few months.. were they ridiculed and "hated" on as well, or were they given a pass?

Not sermon, just a thought..

I hope Mr. Gemballa's issues are resolved and if he is in fact being held, that he is returned safely to his family!

flame away..
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Some news from the German press on the state of the investigation.

Two stuttgart policemen have been in Johannesburg helping South African police in the matter. Police considers it increasingly likely that Gemballa may be victim of a crime. Meanwhile, German authorities also started an investigation against him for not filing his company for bankruptcy when it became insolvent. There's no evidence as of now that funds from the business were transferred to South Africa.

google translation here:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by onboost
I agree with the above statement and further think it's a sad commentary that not only the media attacks everyone so viciously, but members of a car community such as this do so as well. So many have negative comments to make based on information that was posted or stumbled upon across the internet.

If you believe every "fact" that the internet has to offer, or that which the media puts out to you, then I have a bridge I definitely think you should buy! People love to hate and it seems to be growing.. why? We hate on others achievements and as well as the lack thereof .. correct?

I for one was fortunate enough to visit Uwe Gemballa's shop in the late 80's early 90's and it was incredible to see the craftsmanship that went into his cars. Over the top, in many cases.. well crafted, always. Oh, and did I mention how open nice he and his employees were to the American that just happened to wander into his facility? In this current world economy there are many individuals, businesses, and corporations that are suffering & struggling financially.... how many of your brethren on this forum have you seen bow-out sell their P-cars for undisclosed reasons over the last few months.. were they ridiculed and "hated" on as well, or were they given a pass?

Not sermon, just a thought..

I hope Mr. Gemballa's issues are resolved and if he is in fact being held, that he is returned safely to his family!

flame away..
I agree 100%. This thread saddens me also. To speculate negatively about someone in the absence of all the facts is wrong in my book. Some may wish to wait for the factual conclusion before sharpening their knives. A person who may be in harm's way deserves being treated with compassion and respect unless and until the contrary is proven.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
A person who may be in harm's way deserves being treated with compassion and respect unless and until the contrary is proven.
"treated with compassion & respect" if he's really in harms way then compassion would be appropriate, but why in the hell would I possibly have to respect someone I don't even know, is it just because he mod's Porsches?

With me respect is not a given, I do not automatically respect anyone, they EARN IT through their actions! nor do I expect anyone to respect me unless I EARN IT!

I know and interact with lots of people I have no respect for but it does not mean I treat them bad, it just means I don't respect them due to their actions.

I am really tired of people trying to make others act PC in public forums by trying to shame them, this should be a place for all of us to say what we think without someone else trying to tell us how to think and act about the subject.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Updates anyone?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 PM
serval
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

This is a complex issue and without first hand information it is very hard to reach a definite conclusion. As such I have no choice but to err on the side of Mr Gemballa. If I'm mistaken, then I guess I am naive but I can live with that. And yes, forgedline, Mr. Mike Burroughs is doing the right thing in standing by his friend. I am very fortunate to have some very good friends and can definitely relate to his feelings on the matter. i don't know how many of us would've had the patience and stamina to answer all the questions in this thread regardless of the not so subtle implications that he may be a fraud, have vested interests, or any other sinister motives. My hat is off to you sir. I do not know Mr. Gemballa, but he deserves the same consideration and benefit of doubt owed not to every car builder, but to every human being.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has Uwe Gemballa been kidnapped???