Sponsored by:

Oil Change Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
You folks just don't know what you're missing...Jacking up the car on all fours, sliding underneath and laying on a cold slab of concrete while draining nice, hot oil and trying to get it all in the drain pan w/o creating a mess, changing out the oil filters, then adding fresh oil slowly so as to not cause it to regurgitate and mess up your engine compartment...I tell ya, it's down-right theraputic..and you know it's been done right.
Ha! Yup, <$80 for my Brad Penn oil change and a great chance to look around and clean up under there.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

You folks just don't know what you're missing...Jacking up the car on all fours, sliding underneath and laying on a cold slab of concrete while draining nice, hot oil and trying to get it all in the drain pan w/o creating a mess, changing out the oil filters, then adding fresh oil slowly so as to not cause it to regurgitate and mess up your engine compartment...I tell ya, it's down-right theraputic..and you know it's been done right.
Well said. It is a labor of love.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
Ha! Yup, <$80 for my Brad Penn oil change and a great chance to look around and clean up under there.
lol..I've done my share of laying down on meh back, changed the clutch on my supra in the middle of winter in an ice cold garage..years ago. For the 993, while the car is in the air, I'm sipping my mocha chatting with my wrench, making sure he's doing it right. I also spend time looking around checking things out.

Now on my other cars, I do it with one hand on a cold beer while pouring the oil with the other. All done in 20 mins or so with zero mess. Thanks to the extractor....
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 AM
Body Roll
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I don't see how DIY oil changing makes a difference as far as service history. I keep every reciept for oil and filters with the date and mileage the oil change was done logged on the reciept. I am certain many DIYers do the same.
It makes a difference to me because I have records at the same garage for all necessary routine maintenance. Receipts from a mechanic carry more weight than those from a DIY'er.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You forgot the part about storing the old oil in some unused corner of your garage for weeks on end because you're too lazy to drive to Pep Boys to dispose of it, despite looking at it every day and thinking "I really need to do something about that."
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts

$76 covers both OEM oil filters, sealing ring, O-ring and 10 liters of Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Thats DIY, so you can figure out the labor costs from that.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 477 Posts

You folks just don't know what you're missing...Jacking up the car on all fours, sliding underneath and laying on a cold slab of concrete while draining nice, hot oil and trying to get it all in the drain pan w/o creating a mess, changing out the oil filters, then adding fresh oil slowly so as to not cause it to regurgitate and mess up your engine compartment.
I've never had those issues, but then I've been wrenching on everything from chainsaws to aircraft.

I tell ya, it's down-right theraputic..and you know it's been done right.
It is, knowing that the threads of my drain bolt or worse yet, engine block, haven't been stretched by the local mechanic. Its terrible having to pay extra for that.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
$76 covers both OEM oil filters, sealing ring, O-ring and 10 liters of Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Thats DIY, so you can figure out the labor costs from that.
Hmm..$76, think I pay closer to $90 for everything..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A vasectomy is cheaper than an oil change. Out of pocket money that is.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got tired of crawling on the floor so I spent $35k+ on a nice tall garage and a lift so I wouldn't have to do that. I wonder what the payback on that is.......
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 AM
bstrutton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got the 993 six years ago I paid for exactly one oil change by THE respected independent in SE Mich. Hour trip each way, had to leave it, trashy loaner audi and to top it off, clean oil all over the top side where they obviously hadn't taken the time to prevent backup and certainly didn't clean up their mistake. Price: $225. Now nobody wrenches the car except me. Not by choice as I have other things to do but I refuse to risk subpar service from those who charge an hourly rate that exceeds mine..

Just makes me thankful for tractor repair experience on the farm as a kid & short stint in A&P school.. Oh and the Fiat X/19 'first car' as a kid that required CONSTANT wrenching
The following users liked this post:
Dan Riley (08-07-2021)
Old 02-18-2010, 01:07 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I got tired of crawling on the floor so I spent $35k+ on a nice tall garage and a lift so I wouldn't have to do that. I wonder what the payback on that is.......
Some things you just can't put a value on ...

I've done a lot of oil changes on 911's over the years. It was much easier when we used to just blindly take the old oil out to the back yard 'spot' and dump it (I always thought, if it comes from down there, let it go back ...makes sense, right??)
I think even when I get a bigger garage that I can wrench in, I'll pay someone to do this, I just hate dealing with the old oil ....
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm lucky that my local Indie lets me use his lift to work on my car for stuff like this. But an hour of labor seems cheap; always takes me a lot longer than that.
$20 for filters and $60 for a case of Brad Penn and I'm good to go.
I guess oil changes are good therapy for me. Must be a little wierd, I guess.
Phil
Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default We're neighbors.... I'll change both filters & oil in less than an hour. No charge.

Originally Posted by ga993
I am paying north of $200 for an oil change. Understand it takes a lot of Mobil One and it is something I don't want to DIY, but is 1 hour worth of labor at a mechanic reasonable?
brandon
Hey ga993, we're neighbors so allow me the neighborly gesture of offering to do your 993s oil change in my garage; or your garage for that matter. It's cake! 9 quarts or so of oil, an O-ring, 2 filter… It’s cake. I have the necessary parts sourced at a discount from Sunset Porsche. What?? All toll it’s about $85.00 IIRC. The going labor rate is a Starbuck’s triple Vente Latte. The Avenues GA400 exit 13 Starbuck’s is about a mile from my house. Hey ga993 save your self some dough…$$
Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

SO TRUE !

Quick Reply: Oil Change Cost