Sponsored by: DashLynx

We are already racing in Cali...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile We are already racing in Cali...

and to test the metal of our racers, we scheduled the event over the Valentine Day weekend. 100 drivers were willing to face the Wrath of Kahn to do some racing and Time Trialing. This was a Porsche Owners Club Event www.porscheownersclub.org shameless plug as I am the treasurer. For you SoCal and surrounding area folks, check out the 2010 schedule on our web site.

Here are a couple of pics, one with me avoiding a potential collision at the start of the race when the driver in front of me checked up, and the second, of me and my pals driving that race....too much fun.

My 993 is sporting it's somewhat new GT 2 tail and the GT 2 front splitters. The front splitters are covered in painters tape as the paint was too fresh to apply 3M material. Next time out the splitters and front bumper will be covered in 3M material.

Without going into detail, if these items are legal in your class, get them. They are probably good for a 2 second improvement, in my case a 3 second improvement.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-16-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
and t

Without going into detail, if these items are legal in your class, get them. They are probably good for a 2 second improvement, in my case a 3 second improvement.
looking good Martin, is that Tawf that you are leading?.

be safe

Craig
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile The parade...

Me and my car "Baby" in the lead, Todd Von Mende on my tail and Jeff bringing up the rear. Tawfik was racing Go Carts all weekend. Probably also getting Valentine's Day points, not so much for me, Todd and Jeff.

The stars lined up for me last weekend at Willow. The track finally made sense to me and I could link up the corners. Can I do it again? Time will tell. "Baby" and I are ready!

Thanks again for those NT-01 tires. Goes to show you that you don't have to shave the tires to go fast. I have also heard that the tires don't need to be shaven. THis is the first set of DOT 100 tires I have run unshaven, they worked perfectly.

See you soon.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Martin, "Baby" looks great! Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend.

Still looking forward to some driving lessons from you some day....
Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great! As another guy mentioned the event over in Racing about a Cayman, I asked about surface deterioration and got word back that 1 and 8 are worse than ever. When I got the Radical in '03, and went down 2 or 3 times in '04 it was getting to the point things were unsettled enough you had to touch the brakes for 9. Would love to go down again, just not sure to run with who. 350 mile tow!

Ran a few times with POC in '00-'01, but as there had been a wholesale change since the mid-late '80's (or even early '90's when I helped a guy), it was difficult to even get into an event. When I got the RSA going I didn't bother even inquiring about doing wheel-to-wheel.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

A funny I remembered from running with POC. So I'm running the '92 C4, not much suspension and on Kumho's......can't get below 1:35. This would have been in 2000, so 993's are new. Silver, very stock looking 993 _______ smokes past me going into T2, not braking. I HAD to go find out what was going on with that car. Was a salesman from McKenna, Don Dicker, running a showroom stock 993 with only different stabilizer bars and Hoosiers. Uh, OK. He'd run consistent 1:31's, and could flirt with 1:30 flat. And in that era, it wasn't much behind the hopped-up-SC "R5" class of racers.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
A funny I remembered from running with POC. So I'm running the '92 C4, not much suspension and on Kumho's......can't get below 1:35. This would have been in 2000, so 993's are new. Silver, very stock looking 993 _______ smokes past me going into T2, not braking. I HAD to go find out what was going on with that car. Was a salesman from McKenna, Don Dicker, running a showroom stock 993 with only different stabilizer bars and Hoosiers. Uh, OK. He'd run consistent 1:31's, and could flirt with 1:30 flat. And in that era, it wasn't much behind the hopped-up-SC "R5" class of racers.
Don later showed up with a 993RS in Gulf colors and went quite fast in that one.
A few years ago he pulled up stakes, sold his houses and cars and moved to Costa Rica where he purchased a big hacienda...he showed us pictures and it sure looked like paradise....
Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran a POC R6 class 911SC with them in the mid to late 90's and consistantly ran mid 1:30's to low 1:31's at Willow, at that time Ross Clardy was the cream of the R6 crop and ran low 1:29's in his well prepared 911 normally leaving me first loser.

I was actually fortunate enough to beat him in Sept of 1997 and get the overall POC "B" Cup Race and R6 class win that day.

Joel

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 02-16-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I ran a POC R6 class 911SC with them in the mid to late 90's and consistantly ran mid 1:30's to low 1:31's at Willow, at that time Ross Clarty was the cream of the R6 crop and ran low 1:29's in his well prepared 911 normally leaving me first loser.

I was actually fortunate enough to beat him in Sept of 1997 and get the overall POC "B" Cup Race and R6 class win that day.

Joel
I had a few battles with Ross, Dino and Vandecar, got beat by Alarcon a lot and never even came close to Kevin Roush
The fast R5/V3 guys were down to 1:27s last weekend...pretty amazing
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I think I was a little off on my times.........I was in the 1:37-8 range with the 964 C4, so Don was probably 1:33ish with the 993. (Unless you guys can look up historical lap times, circa 2000.)

Ross sounds like a familiar name; maybe he came over to Phoenix to beat up on us in the mid-'80's. I do know Bill Follmer (yes, of that Follmer family) and maybe Jim Vial cleaned our clocks good. Might be getting those classes mixed up, but when you guys ended up going wheel-to-wheel wasn't it an escalation of that SC time trial class Bill and Jim dominated?

Back to Don. I think I heard the "cashed out and headed to the beach" story. I always wondered if he was the salesman for my C4S to the original owner.

And to finish my first "altercation" with Don. So I go over to ask him if his brake lights were out. He says no, that he just lifts going into T2. Uh, OK. Again, stock 993 just Hoosiers. (What are you guys doing?) I remember that trick a couple of years later when I've got the RSA #1 race car down there. Hoosiers, decent suspension.........let's do it. NO. I ended up so far out on the outside of T3, I thought I'd made it to Hwy 138! The guy following me, Jack (midnight blue C2 racer, ended up wrecking it a couple of years ago) catches me after the tow in and asks what the hell I was thinking. I don't think he believed me when I related the Don/stock 993 story.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:05 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

I think I was a little off on my times.........I was in the 1:37-8 range with the 964 C4, so Don was probably 1:33ish with the 993. (Unless you guys can look up historical lap times, circa 2000.)

Ross sounds like a familiar name; maybe he came over to Phoenix to beat up on us in the mid-'80's. I do know Bill Follmer (yes, of that Follmer family) and maybe Jim Vial cleaned our clocks good. Might be getting those classes mixed up, but when you guys ended up going wheel-to-wheel wasn't it an escalation of that SC time trial class Bill and Jim dominated?

Back to Don. I think I heard the "cashed out and headed to the beach" story. I always wondered if he was the salesman for my C4S to the original owner.

And to finish my first "altercation" with Don. So I go over to ask him if his brake lights were out. He says no, that he just lifts going into T2. Uh, OK. Again, stock 993 just Hoosiers. (What are you guys doing?) I remember that trick a couple of years later when I've got the RSA #1 race car down there. Hoosiers, decent suspension.........let's do it. NO. I ended up so far out on the outside of T3, I thought I'd made it to Hwy 138! The guy following me, Jack (midnight blue C2 racer, ended up wrecking it a couple of years ago) catches me after the tow in and asks what the hell I was thinking. I don't think he believed me when I related the Don/stock 993 story.
Around 2000, I was turning about 1:31s in KP/V3 and was about even with Dicker in his RS...so 1:34s in his "stock" 993 could be about right...too lazy to look it up though.

As far as Phoenix is concerned, for about 2 or 3 years PIR was on the POC Cup race/time trial schedule and we would get double points.

I owe a lot of set-up tricks and driving know-how to Bill Follmer and Jim Vial...they had the SC/3.2 Carreras figured out pretty well.

Entering T2 in Willow without braking just lifting is possible in an SC/3.2 Carrera with suspension and Hoosiers as long as you manage to get all the way to the inside immediately at the entry (you will gradually drift to the middle of the track)...not sure about cars with higher entry speed...they may have to do the little confidence brake tap.

Did Dicker's brake lights come on for turn 3?? He is a crafty fellow, you know...
Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Originally Posted by LoanWolf
I had a few battles with Ross, Dino and Vandecar, got beat by Alarcon a lot and never even came close to Kevin Roush
The fast R5/V3 guys were down to 1:27s last weekend...pretty amazing
R5/V3's running 1:27's!!!!!!! Holy Crap!!!!!! I definately remember the battles between Vandercar, Alarcon, Nardi, Rousch and the other fast guys in the "A" Cup races.

My best memory at Willow was when David Murray, Price Cobb & Kelly Collins were there running a couple of the Kelly Moss Cup cars and putting on a driving show for the rest of us.

Being highy motivated by watching them, I had pushed hard moving into second place in the "B" Cup race with a few laps to go, but I got shoved wide by a back runner wiggling under brakes on the entry to turn 1 causing me to drop a right rear wheel off making me to do a hyperquick 360 on the little berm at the exit, luckily I nailed the throttle when I saw the track come into view again and dropped right into third on the rear bumper of the guy who got around me, then pushed hard a lap later passing him on the outside of turn 1 to get second overall back and scoring the R6 class win.
After the race I was sitting in my pit when Murray & Cobb came up to me and said that the spin and recovery was an unbelivable save and I could really wheel a 911.
To this day that was the biggest compliment I have ever received reagrding my driving and it overshadowed the Class win by far.

I never did have the guts to tell them from my view point it was more luck than skill, and we all know the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good".

My current saying is "I'd rather be lucky and good!"
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM
LoanWolf
Pro

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
R5/V3's running 1:27's!!!!!!! Holy Crap!!!!!! I definately remember the battles between Vandercar, Alarcon, Nardi, Rousch and the other fast guys in the "A" Cup races.

My best memory at Willow was when David Murray, Price Cobb & Kelly Collins were there running a couple of the Kelly Moss Cup cars and putting on a driving show for the rest of us.

Being highy motivated by watching them, I had pushed hard moving into second place in the "B" Cup race with a few laps to go, but I got shoved wide by a back runner wiggling under brakes on the entry to turn 1 causing me to drop a right rear wheel off making me to do a hyperquick 360 on the little berm at the exit, luckily I nailed the throttle when I saw the track come into view again and dropped right into third on the rear bumper of the guy who got around me, then pushed hard a lap later passing him on the outside of turn 1 to get second overall back and scoring the R6 class win.
After the race I was sitting in my pit when Murray & Cobb came up to me and said that the spin and recovery was an unbelivable save and I could really wheel a 911.
To this day that was the biggest compliment I have ever received reagrding my driving and it overshadowed the Class win by far.

I never did have the guts to tell them from my view point it was more luck than skill, and we all know the saying "I'd rather be lucky than good".

My current saying is "I'd rather be lucky and good!"
That's a great story!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

My bad, it was an R7 Class win and it was Ross Clardy who won overall.

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 02-16-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile All right you Olde School guys, come on back, we'd love to..

see you at a POC event. We may even cook up a promotion for those that have not run an event in "X" time.

Don Dicker's ex-car 996 "stock" is still around. It is now a POC 996 Spec car. I recall it was the most tricked out 996 around...Don was a good driver too. He also had a 993 car that was a screamer.

The top dogs at POC these days are Steve Alarcon, Mike Monsalve, Steve Parker, Kip Waterhouse and some other V3/R5 cars that can surprise you. They are turning 1:27s and thereabout. Kevin Roush does pretty much pro driving events. We see Vandecar and Clardy once a year.

The JP/R6 record at WSIR is 1:30 held by Ross Clardy. This was set way back when.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-16-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: We are already racing in Cali...