Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver 993 I am interested in buying but I am a 993 noob!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like a nice car, but other than the sport seats and the LSD, it isn't really anything all that special. Miles aren't super low, sounds like the top end hasn't been done (or they'd make a big deal about it). The ad says they have all records from day one - so if that's true and it hasn't had a 60K service, a clutch and a few of the other maintenance items, you are in for some $ to get it up to date on service (although if they dropped the engine for a reseal 800 miles ago, they should have done a clutch if it needed one.) You'll also be ready for new shocks or a suspension upgrade soon, if that hasn't been addressed. Of course if this thing was in the low 20's it would be worth getting excited about, but even if you get it for $26K it's just barely a fair deal, not a steal. So if you love the color combo, and it has the exact options you want and you are good with paying fair market price, then buy it (if the PPI checks out). If you are looking for a bargain or something really unique, keep looking. Nice cars at good prices seem to be turning up recently...don't rush into anything.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default You want a sweet 1995 993, well then, get the fish hooks...

out of your pockets. There is a GP White (Or at least there was a week ago) coupe, full leather, all the options, PSS 9s, or maybe PSS 10s, sway bars, totally unmolested cosmetically at Smith Volvo in San Luis Obispo...I turned some Rennlisters on to this a few weeks ago...I was crucified by one of our colleagues for this...I can take a punch.

If I were in the market, I'd buy this car, don't know the price but it is probably listed high as a point of negotiation. You know how we like to put the grind on.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:04 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds nice but unless you LOVE this car look a bit more. There have been several 993s for sale recently just high of this price and lower mileage. Either way, good luck and have fun shopping.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I contacted Smith Volvo, he said they want 35K for that white 993....I asked him if there is anything special about the car and he gave me the generic runaround. "These cars hold their value we always get tons of calls over 993s blah blah junk blah." I asked him if the top end had been rebuilt, or if the 60K service was done or anything special and his response was no not really just come see the car. I gave him the counter example of the 28K miles white 993 up in san francisco and he just slithered his way around it. I think I'll pass.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts

^ How much are you willing to spend?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Oshin 11 writes, "I contacted Smith Volvo, he said they want 35K for that white 993....I asked him if there is anything special about the car and he gave me the generic runaround. "These cars hold their value we always get tons of calls over 993s blah blah junk blah." I asked him if the top end had been rebuilt, or if the 60K service was done or anything special and his response was no not really just come see the car. I gave him the counter example of the 28K miles white 993 up in san francisco and he just slithered his way around it. I think I'll pass."

"He just slithered his way around it", now that is not a very nice comment. It sort of implies that the salesman is a snake or some sort of reptile. Isn't this the Board with the nice people? I can tell you one thing, Brent Smith sells lots of Porsche cars...when have you ever seen a bad comment about the cars he sells? Never....doesn't that tell you something? If it has 60,000 miles on it, and it hasn't had the service, it will get the service...right on sight (See below).

I have seen the car, it is bloody perfect. Since you are only 2 hours south, go look at it, make him an offer...nothing get's done over the phone, mano a mano negotiations if you want the car.

Lastly, Brent's Porsche repair shop is where I get my car worked on, Guy's Independent. They have done great work for me the last 4 years, have helped me sort out the car through various iterations. Top quality work...and Brent is a racing buddy, ergo, I'll plug one of his cars if it appears to be in top condition.

So I suggest you don't eliminate the car from your search, it is sweet.

PS I receive no compensation or renumeration for recommending Smith Volvo's car.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now now don't jump to conclusions, just because I say someone slithered their way around something that doesn't mean I am calling them a snake, don't put words in other people's mouths Just stating that a car with half those miles advertised in excellent condition is going for 5K less. But yes you are right, unless you see both cars next to each other you will never know for sure. 35K is out of my price range for now though, at least for that car.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile Negotiate...

Offer him what is in your budget....if you see the car and want the car! Maybe he'll take it. He can either say yes, no or counter...you know the drill.

As one 993 fanatic to another, the car is a 10...a 10, no BS.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You can buy cheap (and invest plenty over the next couple of years) or you can buy smart (some extra investment and save a lot over the next years while having a better car). The 993 is a car wher I suggest the "smart" way of car buying.

GL

Quick Reply: Silver 993 I am interested in buying but I am a 993 noob!