Sponsored by:

Silver Crest for steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:29 PM
daveHy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...ltDomainQ5f100

these must be close, anybody tried fitting a small 356 crest to their wheel ?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by daveHy
these must be close, anybody tried fitting a small 356 crest to their wheel ?
Dude, I think that's it! Looks like the right size in the sellers photo with a quarter alongside for scale, and definitely the right colors and only $25 to boot:

Hey Chuck, when you pulled the silver badge off the blown air bag you bought, how was it attached? Some sort of Porsche Gorilla Glue? How hard was it to peel off? Did it damage the bag to do it (more than it already was ...?) An Airbag wouldn't deploy unless it was connected electronically, right??

Last edited by JPP; 02-17-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey Chuck, when you pulled the silver badge off the blown air bag you bought, how was it attached? Some sort of Porsche Gorilla Glue? How hard was it to peel off? Did it damage the bag to do it (more than it already was ...?)
As I recall, it was rivited on. I had to file down the post on the back of it.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
As I recall, it was rivited on. I had to file down the post on the back of it.
Hm, well, risky business on a $500 airbag .. This badge has got a single post on the back of it as well for a speednut. I bet they're the same part. Anybody got an old airbag with a crest on it they could experiment on?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hm, well, risky business on a $500 airbag .. This badge has got a single post on the back of it as well for a speednut. I bet they're the same part. Anybody got an old airbag with a crest on it they could experiment on?

Good point. Old age memory. That looks like what I filed down.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 AM
daveHy
Advanced

I've gone ahead and bought one as I have a GT3 3 spoke wheel with bag but with no crest, can't go wrong for $25. When I get it will post whether it fits or not. only 3 left......
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by daveHy
I've gone ahead and bought one as I have a GT3 3 spoke wheel with bag but with no crest, can't go wrong for $25. When I get it will post whether it fits or not. only 3 left......
Is this gonna be like Black Friday at Wallmart??

.. o.k., whew, got one. My auction says 19 left. I think this is a regularly stocked item for these guys but if they get a 'run' on them, I bet the price goes up .....
Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys just bought one thanks for posting, I agree for $25.00 can't go wrong. I have the one coming from performance I guess I'll see which one looks the best. Brombacher emailed and said the new wheel will be in my hand early next week that was fast. Looking forward to getting it installed, I"ll post some pictures of my finished product ( PSS10's, new headlight lens covers, reworked fog lights, clear corners, new wheel, RS strut brace etc.)
Old 02-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have five coming... Assuming these are the correct size, I've got to do the centercaps as well as the steering wheel... If not, I will have a few for sale.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

It can be done. It takes patience to get the old one off (using Goo Gone to loosen the glue and a rocker motion with strong filament (like fishing line) to essentially widen the hole in the leather that the post is set in; and a final PULL to break it free. Put some tape on the steering wheel around the crest area as you work the crest out. That will keep you from scuffing the leather edges around the crest. As to the flying projectiles, don't bother with tape, which will loosen. Use clear Shoe Goo as an adhesive. I have used Shoe Goo in lieu of the rivet/bolt approach on my pedal sets with no problems and a whole lot less work. It withstands weathering and bonds very well and is easy to use. It is a silicon-based adhesive. Such a crude fix may be heresy to other RLers, but SG is the anti-GooGone, another great product.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Raptor
It can be done. It takes patience to get the old one off (using Goo Gone to loosen the glue and a rocker motion with strong filament (like fishing line) to essentially widen the hole in the leather that the post is set in; and a final PULL to break it free. Put some tape on the steering wheel around the crest area as you work the crest out. That will keep you from scuffing the leather edges around the crest. As to the flying projectiles, don't bother with tape, which will loosen. Use clear Shoe Goo as an adhesive. I have used Shoe Goo in lieu of the rivet/bolt approach on my pedal sets with no problems and a whole lot less work. It withstands weathering and bonds very well and is easy to use. It is a silicon-based adhesive. Such a crude fix may be heresy to other RLers, but SG is the anti-GooGone, another great product.
Thanks for the detailed info. So is the 'stud' on the back secured with a speednut during assembly or is there a pocket designed into the airbag for it to stick into that's filled with adhesive?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't know. The stud has a slight lip at the end so it would appear there is no speed nut, just a pressure fit.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Raptor
I honestly don't know. The stud has a slight lip at the end so it would appear there is no speed nut, just a pressure fit.
Thanks. Another problem with the whole scenario is the age of the airbags on these cars are getting to their terminal effective use date, which I'm sure Porsche takes into consideration when they price items that are routinely replaced due to accidents and have a 'captured' consumer base. I think the expected life of these post 1991 is 15 years which means we're all coming due fairly soon if not already....
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Just received this in the mail today and affixed it. Looks awesome on the stock steering wheel. Take a hack saw and hack off the little post on the back, and affix it with clear liquid nails. 5 min job. Sweet....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia
Just received this in the mail today and affixed it. Looks awesome on the stock steering wheel. Take a hack saw and hack off the little post on the back, and affix it with clear liquid nails. 5 min job. Sweet....
Just to be clear....you glued it to a 4-spoke wheel/airbag which was embossed as opposed to removing a gold emblem from a 3-spoke. Correct?

Quick Reply: Silver Crest for steering wheel