Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are single men that own porches afraid of commitment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 06:21 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE Maybe you should marry her? [/QUOTE]

That is perhaps the spookiest comment I have read on Rennlist.
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:23 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

I bought a Porsche because I figured out that I needed to spend some money before my wife spent it.

People get married because they make too money and don't enough time to spend it all, so they decide to hire a professional.

Maybe your friend is picking up on the fact that if you have a porsche, you already have a money pit, you don't need to hire someone to spend your money for you.
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:28 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

40 yrs old...never married...on my second Porsche.
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:41 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

I bought my Porsche a few years before getting married and my wife seems to understand that it is part of the package deal. She has never asked me to sell it or even indicated that having a Porsche sitting in the garage is any sort of problem - even in the heat of an argument and even after adding a daughter to the herd. In fact, for our first anniversary (the "paper" one for all you traditionalists), she had a book made for me which contained pictures of all the cars I've owned so far together with rhymes about each one. Most importantly, the book was marked "volume one" so I knew she realized more cars would come and go throughout our marriage.
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Asquared
I bought a Porsche because I figured out that I needed to spend some money before my wife spent it.
Yeah they have a nasty habit of spending it...on a new kitchen or bathroom when there was nothing wrong with the old one.

As a happily married co-worker put it, "women need to get a hobby".
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:45 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Oh, c'mon, you don't need a Porsche to be afraid of commitment. All you need is some experience dating women to be afraid of it LOL!
Old 02-10-2010 | 06:50 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Yeah they have a nasty habit of spending it...on a new kitchen or bathroom when there was nothing wrong with the old one.

As a happily married co-worker put it, "women need to get a hobby".
Yup. When we bought our current house, it was my wife's "Dream house", except she couldn't wait to change every room in it. Eight years later, the only room that looks anything like when we bought it is the master bedroom.

Once she got done re-doing every room, she decided she wanted a new house (that's a great story for another day). I told her I could afford the new house but not for her to start over. Winning that fight paid for my porsche a couple of times over.
Old 02-10-2010 | 07:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Asquared
Once she got done re-doing every room, she decided she wanted a new house.
That reminds me of those sport bike riders. They bling and farkle their new bikes until there is no more toys to buy for it. Then they get bored, sell it and start all over with a new bike...blowing big coin in the process.

Its a clear sign that they are bored, unhappy and not really into sport bikes and motorcycling.

But that would apply to many things. That is my theory and I'm sticking to it.

The first 10 seconds and the 30th to 45th second in this movie clip which pretty well sums it up....
Contact

Speaking of commitment, now if Jodie Foster were available, I'd be willing. Talk about a highly intelligent and very capable woman.
Old 02-10-2010 | 08:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Oh, c'mon, you don't need a Porsche to be afraid of commitment. All you need is some experience dating women to be afraid of it LOL!
Originally Posted by At Law
If you are considering selling any one of your vehicles (especially a P-Car)
to make a woman happy, you have simply met the wrong woman
and need to drop her quickly. This controlling personality in a woman
will not stop at a mere car.

If I have to decide between my 911 and a woman, she'll be looking
for a new man.
Adding to the above words of wisdom:

a) I'm afraid...scared $hitless actually...of committing to a woman when she expects/demands commitment. A sign of insecurities and/or unmet biological needs that have nothing to do with love IMO.

b) My car habit/problem/disease or "love" as some of us would refer to it, is terminal. Therefore, any woman I commit to will not only have to tolerate it but actually love it. Compromise is not an option.

I'm 37, recently single and fully committed to being single for the rest of my life unless I find THE right woman to whom I will give my 110% commitment. In the meantime, I'm having a great time spending it with women 8-10 years my junior, which is new to me since I've always dated older women. I'm now beginning to understand the old "men age like wine" adage.
Old 02-10-2010 | 08:07 PM
Peqoud
Rennlist Member

I bought my Porsche a week after finishing flight school and returning to the West coast. Always wanted one and thought, what the hell - I'm single, got some cash at the moment. Let's have some fun for a few years.

Met my wife 5 days later. 5 days! Scheisse!!
Old 02-10-2010 | 08:14 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Been married for 14 years and have gone through two Porsche race cars and one started out as a street car so I should count that one twice Only one wife so I guess my commitment problem is to the Porsche. Ive even raced a Supra but it was just for fun and never intended any long term arangement...
Old 02-10-2010 | 09:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

I hadn't even been on a date yet when I got my first 911. Then I started meeting women (though it was after I fled the Bay Area to go to college, novel experience meeting women who were feminine!) because of their interest in cars. Anyone I met along the way had to have at least a passing interest in cars. Got Karen through a couple of schools, and out on the track the first couple of years we were married.
Old 02-10-2010 | 09:25 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

I have been commited to my Girlfriend now for 10 years and 2 kids, no issues here
Old 02-10-2010 | 09:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Smart women know that fast cars are safer than fast women.
Old 02-10-2010 | 09:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Great thread! When I met my wife I already had an 88 911. She said she LOVED Porsches. After we got married, she wanted to be in it less and less as it was a "rough ride" for her. Kept it for 5 glorious years.

Then I got my 993. Have had it for 6 years and now that we've hit a major economic challenge (still can't find a high paying sales job to replace my old one that I lost 10 months ago), the subject of me having to sell this car comes up at least once a month. It's a HUGE bone of contention between us. Logically, I should sell it to pay off a year of mortgage payments in advance.

But, c'mon guys, you know how hard it is to sell these things! I'll probably never get an opportunity to buy one again because, well, just because. The argument has been lately "You don't NEED 2 cars".

No sh*t! I WANT 2 cars! I'm a Toy's R Us kid.

Rant over. Who's next?

Quick Reply: are single men that own porches afraid of commitment?