Sponsored by:

Doofus of the Year award?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raptor
I'll play, and raise 2Many Cars. ... Punchy after a long nite of work, I went into the garage the next morning, opened the door of my SC, reached in and started the car to warm it up, and quickly discovered it was in gear. Car started and jumped forward into cabinets where I kept oil and other stuff, then rebounded back and buried the open door in the sheet rock of the garage wall. Car couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Two cases of oil trashed on the garage floor to clean up after I had to tear out (and later replace) two panels of sheet rock in order to close the door to move the car. A lot of oil in that puddle, too. Wife came out to check on the noise (guess I was maybe cussing a bit), saw the situation, got in her car and left for a couple of hours.
You win!! LMAO (only becasue I could see me doing exactly the same thing!).
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
I'll play, and raise 2Many Cars. ... Punchy after a long nite of work, I went into the garage the next morning, opened the door of my SC, reached in and started the car to warm it up, and quickly discovered it was in gear. Car started and jumped forward into cabinets where I kept oil and other stuff, then rebounded back and buried the open door in the sheet rock of the garage wall. Car couldn't go forward, couldn't go back. Two cases of oil trashed on the garage floor to clean up after I had to tear out (and later replace) two panels of sheet rock in order to close the door to move the car. A lot of oil in that puddle, too. Wife came out to check on the noise (guess I was maybe cussing a bit), saw the situation, got in her car and left for a couple of hours.
UGH! I guess the thread below, the one complaining about how poorly wives drive (not looking in rear view mirror when pulling out of garage, etc..) is looking pretty mundane now!

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=55507

My closest dork move was pulling away (slowly fortunately) and realizing that I was still hooked up to the battery tender. Nothing damaged, no drama, but felt pretty stupid!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll play, and raise 2Many Cars.
OK. You win for now, but give it time, I've still got a few good wrenching years left so I may still beat you someday.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Truly fabulous! I'm glad to have been an inspiration...

Come on, lurking doofuses, fess up!

Best,

Matt
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about changing an oil filter and having the rubber O ring stick to the car and not come off with the filter. Then tossing the old filter, putting the new one on, with 2 O rings now. Start the car up to go for a ride and peeling out across an oil slick.

It was a 944, a 993 would have let me know I was a doofus as I was getting the last 3 quarts in.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Very nice, Calvin, very nice!

Chief Doofus Appraiser (2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 09:26 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
How about changing an oil filter and having the rubber O ring stick to the car and not come off with the filter. Then tossing the old filter, putting the new one on, with 2 O rings now. Start the car up to go for a ride and peeling out across an oil slick.

It was a 944, a 993 would have let me know I was a doofus as I was getting the last 3 quarts in.
Guilty of that years ago. Who hasn't?

Most recent one was the less-than-complete diagnosis of what the 3.8 needed from its failed AASE valve spring. What do I find when putting it back together (only took off the one bank to repair the damaged cylinder) but another failed spring over on the #2 intake? I did a complete leakdown way back when, and there's no valve damage; but I never bothered to take the other bank's valve covers off until I was checking the cam timing on that side. I'm sure I would have caught it, as I never felt comfortable leaving the rest of those suspect springs on the engine. But I was still pretty irritated with myself..........
Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S

me too on a lexus sc400 no leak untill started instant 5 litres all over new garage floor aaaggghhh
Old 02-15-2010, 01:22 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I managed to cross-thread a new oil filter when installed and ended-up dumping a few litres of oil on a friend's garage floor as soon as I started it up to warm up the new oil.

Marc
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to own a 968 which I jacked up at the rear (with the little scissor jack) to change a wheel and forgot to put a wedge under the front wheel - of course handbrake only works on the rear wheels and as I put weight on the rear wheel to loosen the nuts, the car rolled forward off the jack. Fortunately only pride took a battering!

Stewart

Quick Reply: Doofus of the Year award?