993 Forum 1995-1998

My latest 993 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to hijack, btw, just curious as to the applicability of the space for stereo install.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
Bob:

The amp board (plate... it was made of Mg.) had brackets to the unibody at the bottom and brackets that bolted to the top shock bolts. As my car had a shock tower brace, I used a longer stud to allow the complete stack up of cross brace, amp board bracket, washer and nut. The Mag. amp board was a little extreme but fun to make / discuss.

Once I got past having the amp in the front, I realized that using that locale allowed for a much nicer amp than simply squirreling one away under the pass. seat.

Like "Raptor" showed, I passed my control wires through the same location begin aware that I need to tie the bundle away from the clutch mechanics.

Enjoy the "tunes" quest.
Very nice. That is quite impressive. I'm not sure I have that much energy to invest. Well done. Too bad you did not make 2

I'm thinking about a simplier and less eligant solution. More home work.

Bob-
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob:

I'd love to tell you the brackets were my idea. A local to me stereo shop made the first revision of my amp board and used MDF. For Jim's Stereo Version 1.0, the MDF was high density and weighed a lot. I remade the pieces and "matured" them to the usual Porsche owner level of OCD.

Why Mag. ???? While scrounging around a local metal shop, I found a wayward plate of Mag. and thought hmmm..., I can make something out of that someday. If I did it again, I simply use aluminum. I like the metal as you can drill and tap the amp mounting screws keeping the amp R/R able to be done without removing the mounting plate.

As I suspect, the build process is as much fun as the result.

Cheers
Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My amp board is similar to Jim's except with the low tech MDF board. I have pics somewhere. The lower mounts tuck in between the fuel tank and the fuel tank straps and are effectively clamped. The board is under the carpet and the amp is on top of it and visible. I guess I have another upgrade coming now which involves a sheet of aluminum. If only I could justify the aluminum spool gun and bottle upgrade for my MIG machine.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt777
My amp board is similar to Jim's except with the low tech MDF board. I have pics somewhere. The lower mounts tuck in between the fuel tank and the fuel tank straps and are effectively clamped. The board is under the carpet and the amp is on top of it and visible. I guess I have another upgrade coming now which involves a sheet of aluminum. If only I could justify the aluminum spool gun and bottle upgrade for my MIG machine.
While doing my homework on this subject, I read the following comment about amplifier installations.

"These directions assume you have already physically mounted your amplifier to a solid, non-conductive surface (non-metal). "

http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i...tall_a_car_amp

The statement was not backed up with "why not"

but I guess when you are working around positive and negative speaker wires and positive and negative power wires you might not want a big conductor around. I guess if you are REALLY careful....

Any thoughts on this?

Bob-
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thought... verify that your amp's output is isolated from the chassis ground.

Many of the car amps, specifically those that support common speaker ground likely need to be ground isolated. I got burned on a GM installation over this "tidbit". Others may have more info / details on this.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
...Any thoughts on this?

Bob-
no but maybe I should get some Apart from the mounting screws the amp would be isolated from the aluminum by the carpet. I don't know if that is good enough. I could always use some sort of composite board instead of aluminum. Maybe I'll just leave it as is.

Quick Reply: My latest 993 project