Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Info you you:

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-options.html
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bart, these links look like they contain some excellent and very relevant information. Must study.

Thank you,

Bob-
Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just finishing up my system. All the race car 993 guys are gonna burn me at the stake for what I've done. But my 993 is not a race car. I surely am not a race car driver. Unfortunately I can barely afford the car and it's maintenance much less to turn it into a race car and eventually crack it up at the track causing millions in damage to the car .

I love music and have had a system in every car I have owned since I was 18 or so. The 993 is no exception. I am more into sound Q than the big boom. I however feel the need for tight punchy bass when the song calls for it. So I pulled out my CDR-220 and the stock (non hi-fi) door speakers. In place of the CDR-220 I put an Alpine CDA-9886. I was going to go with the 9887 but wanted to keep all my signal wiring short and to a minimum and put my sound processor as close to the amp as possible. The 9886 has external Imprint processing the 9887 has it built in. So I chose the CDA-9886 and ran the Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth module under my glove box with the I-pod, USB, and additional hard disk power wire fed into the glove box via a grommeted hole in the back of the glove box. The AI-Net cable feeds into the trunk and goes to the Alpine TUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner, and then to the XM Radio tuner and then off into the Alpine PXA-H100 Imprint Audio Processor. There is where all the sound Q tuning happens and then out 3 pairs of ~6 inch pigtails (Front-Rear-Sub) Directly into a JL Audio HD900/5 (small footprint) 5 channel D-Class amp (100x4 + 500x1). I removed the useless red spare tire and pump in favor of my Triple A towing package and installed a second battery to support the amp even though class D amps use less juice. I did this more to help preserve the car's electrical system (alternator) than anything else. Then my five speaker wire pairs out of the amp feed the front door speakers. JL Audio ZR-650's and a speaker box. I know it's a box but I wanted it removable without major surgery to the car. The otherwise useless back seats are folded down and the box is a perfect fit atop the folded down seats. The back of the box that rests against the firewall is even cut to the same angle as the firewall. Instead of dealing with the small speakers in the rear deck I customized the speaker box and built two separately sealed sections into the box. The two sealed sections hold a pair of JL Audio C5-650's for rear fill. The rest of the sealed box holds a pair of JL audio 12W3 subs. I had to have a pair of 12" 's in the car. Overkill I know, but I had to. Sometimes I like it loud and clean and the goal was to set it up so everything would be as loud as I desired but without having to drive the amp or deck hard introducing distortion. Sort of to hit the threshold of pain to the ears before distortion. The Alpine 9886 goes up to 35 on the volume control and I have NEVER needed to turn it up past 26 to get what I want

There is surely some extra weight in the car. I could stand to loose 50 lbs myself so It's not a race car even without the stereo stuff. The car is plenty peppy for my taste and now also fits my musical requirements. The sound is insane. Mission accomplished.

Nick
Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 AM
shu
Racer

Wow, thats one hellava install Warpig! As for the dynamat, I did the same thing with my doors. Helps with the rattling since the quality 6.5's put out a good amount of sound. As for the weight, a couple pounds per door is all.......if youre that worried about a couple pounds, skip the donut in the mornings.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Just for fun and a walk down memory lane, here is an amp install I did a few years back in my 95 C2.

With the lexan cover, the truck carpet still fit and made averything quite stealth.

Enjoy !
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob: I didn't really consider the passenger seat because I found it a lot easier to just feed the wires through the firewall. No need to cut, as there are openings already. Also, wasn't sure if I wanted it under the seat. As it turned out, the gas tank mount (with silicone glue) works nicely.

JP: I like the Perfect Performance brace because it does fit under the carpet http://www.perfectpowerinc.com/sales.html. Haven't had any issues with heat on the amp, but I did leave some room between the amp and the tank wall. It's been 3 years and no prob (yet).
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raptor
Bob: I didn't really consider the passenger seat because I found it a lot easier to just feed the wires through the firewall. No need to cut, as there are openings already. Also, wasn't sure if I wanted it under the seat. As it turned out, the gas tank mount (with silicone glue) works nicely.
Raptor, can you show me a pic of where you went thru the firewall. I will need to bring a real power wire to the power amp.

TY

Bob-
Old 02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Warpig
I am just finishing up my system. All the race car 993 guys are gonna burn me at the stake for what I've done. But my 993 is not a race car. I surely am not a race car driver. Unfortunately I can barely afford the car and it's maintenance much less to turn it into a race car and eventually crack it up at the track causing millions in damage to the car .

I love music and have had a system in every car I have owned since I was 18 or so. The 993 is no exception. I am more into sound Q than the big boom. I however feel the need for tight punchy bass when the song calls for it. So I pulled out my CDR-220 and the stock (non hi-fi) door speakers. In place of the CDR-220 I put an Alpine CDA-9886. I was going to go with the 9887 but wanted to keep all my signal wiring short and to a minimum and put my sound processor as close to the amp as possible. The 9886 has external Imprint processing the 9887 has it built in. So I chose the CDA-9886 and ran the Alpine KCE-400BT Bluetooth module under my glove box with the I-pod, USB, and additional hard disk power wire fed into the glove box via a grommeted hole in the back of the glove box. The AI-Net cable feeds into the trunk and goes to the Alpine TUA-T550HD HD Radio Tuner, and then to the XM Radio tuner and then off into the Alpine PXA-H100 Imprint Audio Processor. There is where all the sound Q tuning happens and then out 3 pairs of ~6 inch pigtails (Front-Rear-Sub) Directly into a JL Audio HD900/5 (small footprint) 5 channel D-Class amp (100x4 + 500x1). I removed the useless red spare tire and pump in favor of my Triple A towing package and installed a second battery to support the amp even though class D amps use less juice. I did this more to help preserve the car's electrical system (alternator) than anything else. Then my five speaker wire pairs out of the amp feed the front door speakers. JL Audio ZR-650's and a speaker box. I know it's a box but I wanted it removable without major surgery to the car. The otherwise useless back seats are folded down and the box is a perfect fit atop the folded down seats. The back of the box that rests against the firewall is even cut to the same angle as the firewall. Instead of dealing with the small speakers in the rear deck I customized the speaker box and built two separately sealed sections into the box. The two sealed sections hold a pair of JL Audio C5-650's for rear fill. The rest of the sealed box holds a pair of JL audio 12W3 subs. I had to have a pair of 12" 's in the car. Overkill I know, but I had to. Sometimes I like it loud and clean and the goal was to set it up so everything would be as loud as I desired but without having to drive the amp or deck hard introducing distortion. Sort of to hit the threshold of pain to the ears before distortion. The Alpine 9886 goes up to 35 on the volume control and I have NEVER needed to turn it up past 26 to get what I want

There is surely some extra weight in the car. I could stand to loose 50 lbs myself so It's not a race car even without the stereo stuff. The car is plenty peppy for my taste and now also fits my musical requirements. The sound is insane. Mission accomplished.

Nick
Nick, please share some pics of this monster system

Bob:
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob: I ran the Amp wires through the drilled-out upper hole in the picture. However, I ran power from the battery for an on-board battery tender thru the bottom hole which was already there (with a grommet in place). I've been meaning to put a grommet around the cables but there is no stress on them so haven't got around to it yet.

This is the driver side firewall:

Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raptor
Bob: I ran the Amp wires through the drilled-out upper hole in the picture. However, I ran power from the battery for an on-board battery tender thru the bottom hole which was already there (with a grommet in place). I've been meaning to put a grommet around the cables but there is no stress on them so haven't got around to it yet.

This is the driver side firewall:
Raptor, thanks for the pic. I am away from my car so I can't check it out irl. Won't be able to get back to the project untlil next week. Ugh!

Bob-
Old 02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo

Bob:
+1 You can't put up a post like this with no pictures
Old 02-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by boulderbobo

Bob:
Originally Posted by aribop
+1 You can't put up a post like this with no pictures
I knew I was going to catch hell for not including any pics. Truth is I don't have any yet. I'm about 95% done. I was working on it during the early winter when it was still 40-50 degrees in the garage while I was forced to take my remaining vacation time or loose it at the end of '09. The cold weather came in two weeks after I finished 95% of it and now it varies between 15 and 35 degrees in the garage so the finishing touches are on hold until spring. I need to carpet my amp board and mount it permanently. I also need to come up with a better secondary battery mount. Need to find a good home for the XM antenna also, currently it's under the dashboard on top of the center heat vents. It works there 99% of the time but there are occasional weak spots I have experienced with it there in my very limited winter drives in the car. I have the exact same XM receiver and antenna on the outside of my winter car and it NEVER cuts out so i need to find a better spot for it in the 993. I also need to straighten up and cover the wiring in the trunk with loom. I added an aftermarket alarm system at the same time mostly for the keyless entry and need to finish up a couple things there too. I want to put in a power window controller with remote up/down and express up/down as well as remote sunroof open/close but after seeing how hard the wiring job for that will be I postponed it at least until the spring. Running wires through the cabin in this car is a real PITA! but it's Über simple to run them in the trunk areas.

After it warms up a bit outside and I can get some pics I will post some. I'm already chomping at the bit just to get in the car and experience the system some more. I've been 95% done with it since December and only had a few hours of listening. I haven't even had a chance yet to tune the system. So far it's just all thrown in and hooked up. I have not even fine adjusted the amp gains and crossover slopes & freq's yet or even touched the Imprint processor. The system is all set at flat so far. It's gonna be great though. i'm already impressed with it and it's not even been tweaked yet.

Nick
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
Just for fun and a walk down memory lane, here is an amp install I did a few years back in my 95 C2.

With the lexan cover, the truck carpet still fit and made averything quite stealth.

Enjoy !
Jim, how is the amp/base attached to the car/fuel tank?

Looks like I might end up with the amp in the trunk afterall.

Thanks,

Bob-
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Bob:

The amp board (plate... it was made of Mg.) had brackets to the unibody at the bottom and brackets that bolted to the top shock bolts. As my car had a shock tower brace, I used a longer stud to allow the complete stack up of cross brace, amp board bracket, washer and nut. The Mag. amp board was a little extreme but fun to make / discuss.

Once I got past having the amp in the front, I realized that using that locale allowed for a much nicer amp than simply squirreling one away under the pass. seat.

Like "Raptor" showed, I passed my control wires through the same location begin aware that I need to tie the bundle away from the clutch mechanics.

Enjoy the "tunes" quest.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't the spare also part of the crash system? I was told by a tech somewhere that it is designed to help out in a front impact as a sort of a crumple zone. In fact he said it was ok to take out for autocross, but he left his in for DE. Was that a bunch of German misinformation? Reason I ask is it has always been tempting for things such as a better stereo install, but I've been hesitant to use it.

Quick Reply: My latest 993 project