993 Forum 1995-1998

Do a restore...or Buy a restore

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do a restore...or Buy a restore

As i continue my search for the 'right for me' 993, I can't help but contemplate the possibility of doing a restore/mod. I have spent hours going through the incredible information available here on rennlist and have gained alot of confidence regarding DIY.

The thing about doing a restore/mod is that I can do exactly what trips my trigger......on the other hand, its alot of sacrifice of time, effort and enjoying the end result. (ie if i buy, I can just start driving it).

My question....can anyone comment (from experience), if they have done a restore/mod, would they do it again ? did you spend more than you would have spent just buying a restored/modified car? did it take alot more time than you thought ? were you mechanically inclined to begin with ?

Any input greatly appreciated....

Last edited by Shannon123; 02-04-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: addd mod
Old 02-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, If you want a restored car, buy a restored car. If you like restoring cars, restore it yourself.
The cost of restoring yourself is more. If you enjoy that kinda thing, then the difference in cost gives is worth it in the pleasure you get out of doing it
Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 194 Posts

From a financial standpoint the answer in most cases is that yes, you always spend more on restoring a car than you would on a previously restored car, provided you don't have any special connections (parts) or skills (painter, mechanic). I can see you restoring a 991T for instance, but the 993 is relatively new, what kind of restoration are you interested in doing?

And you also need to ask yourself the question - do you like to drive them more or tinker with them more. If you're in a hurry to get the car back on the road you might decide to cut corners and then regret it.

There are a lot of variables really...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Restorations if not documented and done correctly can render a lesser value in the car. It's not cheap and it takes a lot of time and patiences. Take a look at the recent Speedster threads for a fine example of a construction/restoration that reaches perfection.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
matt777
Drifting

The other question is what kind of car would be a restoration candidate? Would you buy a high mileage car that needs paint or a salvage titled car? None of these types of cars seem to be much of a bargain compared to a nice example. I've restored 4 muscle cars in the last 10 years which is totally different in that I can buy inexpensive project car and, done right, keep from getting upside down on the project. Parts prices make a big difference here too. Unless the mods you want include a repaint or a total engine overhaul/upgrade the economics are going to favor buying a car closer to what you want IMHO.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
gjones1735
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Shannon123,

I looked at this question myself last April when I was shopping for my 993. I own all the tools, have a large 2 story heated / air-conditioned workshop, and lots of experience working on engines, electrical systems, etc. So, doing a restore was something I felt comfortable with. That being said, both my personal experience and my research at the time indicated that it was MUCH cheaper just to buy something that somebody else had restored or upgraded ( or in my case, set up for track use ).

My personal feeling is that most people are lucky just to recoupe the $$$ they spent on parts when doing a restore -- a lot are not even that lucky. This does not even begin to count the time and effort it take to do a full restore on an older car.

Of course, if rebuilding things is part of the hobby for you and you really look forward to spending a few hours every evening under the car. Or you like knowing first hand every intimate detail of your car. Then maybe a restore is for you.

Good luck,

George
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are enough decent ones around that there's no need to consider a car that needs restoration.

I think it would be no trouble at all to spend $20K on body and mechanical restoration of a 993. If you can get a decent, driveable example for $30K these days, to pencil out, your donor car for a restoration would need to be like $10K, right?
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

from past experiences a good way to end up with a car worth 50k is to spend 100k on a restoration
Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,902 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I've contemplated this before. The only way I would ever buy a $20k 993 and drop $30+k on it is if I was building an ambitious project like a 2,600lb, 300HP RS clone. Other than that, the best economic and sensible thing to do is to find a good example with some modifications already done. There are plenty of cars with upgraded suspensions etc. and the slippery slope is bottomless so you can just keep building on that base.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by steve porter
from past experiences a good way to end up with a car worth 50k is to spend 100k on a restoration
hear hear...
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will ditto the remarks. Buying a car that is in good shape is the least expensive route. If you want a car that is "just-so," or wnat the experience, then do your own mods. I still bet that you would spend less to modify a good car than a used-up car.

If however, you want to restore an early (pre-73) 911, you will have a better chance of recouping (sp?) your costs and will know what car you will be getting. I was thinking of buying a 73S Targa before my 993, but was very concerned that a car, though might look great, could have had a shoddy restoration. You really have to be an expert, or hire an expert to carefully examine these cars.

Cheers,

Vince
Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
I've contemplated this before. The only way I would ever buy a $20k 993 and drop $30+k on it is if I was building an ambitious project like a 2,600lb, 300HP RS clone. Other than that, the best economic and sensible thing to do is to find a good example with some modifications already done. There are plenty of cars with upgraded suspensions etc. and the slippery slope is bottomless so you can just keep building on that base.
Like what I bought from Kim? Oh, and the $30K just covered doing the engine............
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Uh................thanks, I've had too many experiences of making 100k into 50k....that combined with the reality that while I am an avid DIY'er, but not in cars makes this a pretty simple decision for me.

Thanks again for all the honesty.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gjones1735
Hi Shannon123,

I looked at this question myself last April when I was shopping for my 993. I own all the tools, have a large 2 story heated / air-conditioned workshop, and lots of experience working on engines, electrical systems, etc. So, doing a restore was something I felt comfortable with. That being said, both my personal experience and my research at the time indicated that it was MUCH cheaper just to buy something that somebody else had restored or upgraded ( or in my case, set up for track use ).

My personal feeling is that most people are lucky just to recoupe the $$$ they spent on parts when doing a restore -- a lot are not even that lucky. This does not even begin to count the time and effort it take to do a full restore on an older car.

Of course, if rebuilding things is part of the hobby for you and you really look forward to spending a few hours every evening under the car. Or you like knowing first hand every intimate detail of your car. Then maybe a restore is for you.

Good luck,

George
+1 Well said George.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

These cars are ageing well, don't think many of them need to be restored yet unless you are doing a major project speedster/RS. It is not hard to find one in good shape for a few grand more then a abused one.

Quick Reply: Do a restore...or Buy a restore