Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all Soda-Blasters and Sea-Foamers

Two part question:

(1) Anyone use Sea Foam on their 993? If so, which vacuum hose works best, and did you use the 1/3-1/3-1/3 method (equal parts gas, vacuum/intake, and crankcase). I've used it on my other cars and it seems to work great, but have been sorta reluctant to use it on the 993. Any experience among RLers?

(2) Anyone Soda Blast the undercarriage? Seems a lot less sweat and contortions and scraped knuckles than Xenix or other cleaners. Is there any risk to the engine by Soda Blasting?

No, I'm not crazy, just looking for better ways to keep the engine cleaner inside and outside.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:15 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think soda would be a bad idea. It is really good on individual engine parts, especially when you don't want to damage soft metal like Mg or Al alloys, or bearing surfaces - even plastics. Problem is more than the fact that it's basic - because it's a salt, if it gets trapped in seams or where dissimilar metals are, I think you'd have an electrolytic process going on. I know it's not sand, but you would still be taking off some undercoating with it. And that stuff can be a pain to get out of cracks.

dave
Old 02-02-2010, 12:41 AM
matt777
Drifting

How about dry ice blasting? I don't know how aggressive it is but there is no residue or clean-up. I doubt the plastic trays would fair well though. I would just power wash it. You need to get it up in the air either way. If I really wanted to I could roll my 4 post lift outside and do this but who really wants to?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave/Matt: Just the input I needed on the Soda. I hadn't thought of the electrolysis effect. Thanks. Power wash it will be (if I ever get around to doing it).

Still curious about anyone using Sea Foam on a 993. The 928 forum has multi-users. Looks as if the brake booster vacuum is the ticket. That is the spot I used on other cars. Still haven't decided whether to do the crank case before an oil change, but will do the vacuum and gas.

Thanks, guys.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

That's funny, I was just thinking about using Sea Foam on the 993 last night. I'm going to do a bunch of maintenance on the car in a few weeks and will probably give it a does of the stuff in the crankcase and intake before I put it up in the air.

I don't know if its worth it, like a lot of these magic elixirs, but a lot of people seem to swear by the stuff. I kind of like the idea of cleaning things out before changing the oil.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by swmic
...I kind of like the idea of cleaning things out before changing the oil.
I agree. I think it is good practice to clean prior as it prevents contaminants from entering the oil system. Perhaps this is just carryover from my industrial maintenance practices but it can't hurt.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased a car with "unknown maintainance history". I used a bit in the gas but am unsure about how to use in the intake and oil. Anybody want to post a DIY on how best to use seafoam...the where's and how's? I would really like to get my car up to a known cleaner baseline.

Andy
Old 02-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

smwic and matt: How long do you run your 993 before stopping after putting Sea Foam in the crankcase? I do drive the cars a short distance only after putting SF in the crankcase, because of unsubstantiated warnings that it thins the oil too much under load (whatever that means). Would/do you just idle it for 5 minutes or so?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense but I think you guys are nuts if you put that stuff in your crankcase. Modern oils have plenty of detergent in them already and our engines have no history of sludge problems. Just use quality oil, change it regularly and save the seafoam for the VERY occasional use to clean the intake and injection system - or better still save it to use on your Mother-in-law's Volare.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
No offense but I think you guys are nuts if you put that stuff in your crankcase. Modern oils have plenty of detergent in them already and our engines have no history of sludge problems. Just use quality oil, change it regularly and save the seafoam for the VERY occasional use to clean the intake and injection system - or better still save it to use on your Mother-in-law's Volare.
I haven't used it and agree with you on this one. I've never heard of this stuff. Is it a solution looking for a problem?

Quick Reply: Calling all Soda-Blasters and Sea-Foamers