Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Hong Kong Rennlister question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David, it was Kelvin that mentioned Porsche's recommendation to run on N rated tyres.

I called William at Jebsen and he gave me a couple of quotes for 4 tyres.

Pirelli P Zero Rosso's for 10,200
Michelin Pilot Sport for 9,300
Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks David. I am a frequent visitor to HK and will check out Gemballa. HK may be more expensive that US/Europe, but I bet nothing compared to Japan or the Philippines (one authorized distributor).
Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Only ever had one problem with heat in HK in the 4 years I drove the 911 there. I was stuck on the freeway going to the airport - but I was stuck in a bad jam for over an hour and moving like a snail. Had to take a turn off and let the car cool for 30 minutes - and then drive back home and told the guys at the airport to take the train to central. Otherwise - you're generally moving relatively quick and going short distances.

Not much in Central or Wan Chai for Porsche stuff. Unless you go to Porsche show room in CWB. When I was looking for wheels I was looking all over HK and KLN. Mostly in KLN - Mongkok has heaps of car stuff in a very small area - but not 911 specific. www.car8.com is a site I use - but it's all in Chinese. I agree with David - I find it way cheaper to buy in USA.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As to heat, I have had a different experience and have found it a problem. I would sometimes get 10 o'clock in my previous Targa while sitting in traffic on a full sun lit day at 34c with 80-90% humidity. Looking at a previous Rennlist thread, this is not good for our engines. On my current car I was getting 9 o'clock so I installed a second oil cooler and I now consistently get 8 o'clock. From what I understand from that thread, it is not good if you go above 9 and if you do you should look at some additional steps eg a switch to manually turn on the fan, or better, a second cooler properly positioned.

On tires, I will be seriously considering the Toyo R888. This and the Khumo Ecsta V700 are well thought of by Colin Belton of 9M, a recommendation I can trust. The best tires I have had are my current Pirreli P Zero Corsa's, but replacements are now stupid money in HK so I will have to look for something cheaper when the time comes.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
bugs
Advanced

I'm a newby having own the targa for a bit less than a year. I have yet had any problem with overheating (touch wood). However, I've been seriously thinking of installing a fire extinguisher considering its a 14yrs old car with no water (just wanna to be safe). Thank you all for the sharing
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

To prevent overheating, my mechanic replaced the stock oil thermostat in the oil cooler fan with a thermostat with a lower temperature trigger point. The fan now automatically turns on when the oil temperature rises to the 8 o'clock mark in the oil temp gauge and turns off when the temperature falls below that mark.

Recommended independent Porsche garages in HK are Gembella and Road&Track. I know most of the expats who do not service their Porsches at Jebsen usually service their car at Road&Track as the owner is a New Zelander and the mechanics are fluent in English, a rarity in HK on both accounts.

I am planning to go to Gembella this Saturday morning, so I'll ask the owner for his recommendations.

Regarding N-rated tires, the after service reps are probably following general factory guidelines to recommend only such rated tires to all customers. Therefore, I think you should chose a tire that suits your own driving interest (hard compound for spirited highway drives or softer compound for carving curves) and then peruse comments posted on this board or Tire Rack to narrow down a selection of tires that fit your habit.

you can try the tyre shop next to HK Sanatorium Hospital in Happy Valley. Contact person is Ronald @ 2803 5449 or 9425 0602. some say his price on some tires are expensive compared to other shops. Although it is far from Sai Kung, there are two tire shops in Tin Hau near the Lotus Temple but I do not have their contact numbers.

Welcome Bugs, nice car! Where in HK is the picture of your car taken in your avatar. We should arrange a 993 targa meet in HK as I know two other owners with a 993 targa (one black and one yellow) plus Nick's silver targa.

Last edited by GT9111; 02-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bugs
....I've been seriously thinking of installing a fire extinguisher considering its a 14yrs old car with no water (just wanna to be safe). Thank you all for the sharing
I put one in my car last year...used the BK universal mount along with a quick release and mounted it in front of the drivers seat (otherwise wife would complain)...tucks up very tight and easy to reach and remove with one hand. I'm not really worried about an engine/electrical fire but just a precaution...a lot of oil in the motor if it goes so you never know, and there was that Ferrari that burned up in Kowloon in middle of the day a year and a half ago....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbDQcVYa1Z0
Old 02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
bugs
Advanced

Hi GT9111, I'm glad to be here. My avatar photo is taken at the peak of Fei Ngo Shan. Happy to meet other 993 owners as well, cheers.

Quick Reply: Hong Kong Rennlister question.