Sponsored by:

Hong Kong Rennlister question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:22 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hong Kong Rennlister question.

My car is a 96 993 Targa with stock wheels.

I need to replace my tyres and I wanted to use N rated tyres. My local fitter in Sai Kung is checking availability although they didn't seem so knowlegeable when I mentioned the N rating requirement.

For N rated tyres what brand are you using and where did you have them fitted, a telephone number and address would be great as I need to order and get them fitted on Saturday as one of my rear tyres has developed a large bubble on the tread despite having a few mm left in tread depth.

I am aware that the following are recommended for 996 and couldn't find current references for 993 tyres and would be interested in your views:-

Pirelli P Zero N2 or P Zero Rosso N1
Bridgestone S02 or S03 - I am told these are not available anymore?
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 N3 or N4
Yokohama Advanced Sport V103S N0 or N1

I am currently running on RE 050A tyres although I am told these are not N rated and I cannot locate an N number on the tyres so I guess that must be correct.

My Current Tyre sizes on standard Targa wheels:-

Rear: 255 40 VR17
Front: 205 50 WR17

Any info you can provide to locate a suitable fitter and stockist would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks . .. . . . . Nick
Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM
swift_switch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey fellow Hong Konger.....

I got my Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N2 tires for my 993tt from Continental Motorsports (Gemballa HK) in Kwun Tong. 2304 1415

Cheers,

Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Hey there yourself fellow Hong Konger :-)

Cool. I'll give them a bell.

What did they charge you for the fronts and rears?
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Wow, seems like not so many options out there in HK for N rated tyres. So far I'm down to Jebsen $$$, and Contintental Motorsports. E-mailed both for quotation and availability.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are happy to depart from N rated tyres, then fyi, I am running Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs which are highly regarded from what I have read and great value for money (just over <HK$6.5k for a set of 4). Unfortunately, the Sumitomo HTR ZIII that a lot of r'listers rate are not available in Hong Kong. Others have opted for Toyo T1Rs which are meant to be good value as well.

Anyway, let us know what you decide on.

Alan
Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

While recent Porsche models are equipped with OEM N-rated tires, I don't know if 993s came with N-rated tires. Also, a N-5 tire is designed to work with the suspension of a car that may be different than that of a N-3 or N-4 tire...so just because a tire has the N-designation doesn't necessarily mean it was designed for your particular P-car.

And in any case, I don't think in HK we have the opportunity to make use of the limits of these tires or our cars

Originally Posted by v8nlw
...as I need to order and get them fitted on Saturday as one of my rear tyres has developed a large bubble on the tread despite having a few mm left in tread depth....
BTW I believe that "bubble" indicates a separation of the cord/sidewall and that the tire may have been driven while severely underinflated...if that's the case and the underinflation was not due to a puncture there is a good chance your other tires were also underinflated and have similar damage that you can't see yet.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Yes, I am sure you are right about not being to explore the limits on HK roads.
When the Targa was last into Jebsen for it's service the service adviser advised me that I didn't have N rated tyres fitted and that on our cars this would lead to the car being easier to spin due to the weight of the engine in the rear.
I decided at that time that when the time came to renew I should go the 'N' route.
Having said that the only time my car steps out is in wet conditions with some cornering and a lot of throttle. Shouldn't be surprised at that I guess :-)
Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Inflation on all tyres is OK. They've never been run underinflated and all of them show very even wear. I do agree that it appears that there has been a separation in the layers, to the tune of 6 inches long and a raise in the centre of about an inch. My first clue was the sound effects with the window open, a steady thumping.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:25 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm...that's puzzling as true tire defects are relatively rare these days.

In any case, I personally would not get too hung up on the N-rating especially as AFAIK none of them were designed specifically for 993s but rather 996s, 997s, Boxsters, Caymans, etc. I have PS2 on the Turbo and am quite happy with them except for the price, while on the cab I have Toyo T1Rs which cost only half the price and would buy them again.

And as far is the Jebsen's comment re: N-rated tires make it more difficult to spin the car....not sure how valid of an argument it is! Was it Frankie that told you this or another service rep?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nick
I got my Michelin PS's from the Michelin shop on Tong Lo Wan Road in CWB. This was about 3 or 4 years ago - cost about HK$7k. Dropped in on them on a rainy day - the rubber needed changing and I didn't want to take any chances. They changed the wheels on the spot - it was like a carrera cup pit stop.

Massive increase in grip with the new wheels - took it for a run up to the peak - the old SO'2 I had on where in real bad shape.

Can't remember the name of the shop - but you can't miss it. Big Michelin Man on the sign on the front of the store - they also sell HRE wheels.

Good Luck

Ken
Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
alcanada
Instructor

On a different topic but a question for 993 owners in HK:

What do you guys do to keep the cars from overheating under the blistering hot sun? Do you run without the a/c to keep the temperture down?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alcanada
On a different topic but a question for 993 owners in HK:

What do you guys do to keep the cars from overheating under the blistering hot sun? Do you run without the a/c to keep the temperture down?
Drive fast

But seriously, I've always kept my cars maintained and well-serviced and have never had a problem with operating temperature (I've had one for almost 12 years). But in HK it's not so much the heat that gets you, its the high humidity that make is feel hotter than it is.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Leucadia
Racer

[QUOTE=David in LA;7275814...

And in any case, I don't think in HK we have the opportunity to make use of the limits of these tires or our cars .....[/QUOTE]

+1
Never a resident of HK but a very frequent visitor, It would seem one would worry more about going too slow (engine overheating sitting in the row-upon-row of stoplights) than performance tires for speed...
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 102 Posts

Any good place in Hong Kong to see and buy parts/accessories for our Porsches, or cars in general? Any place close to Central/Wanchai? Thanks in advance, Carlos
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Gemballa/Continental in Kwun Tong on Kowloon side is probably the closest thing to an aftermarket parts shop for Pcars in Hong Kong. There is also Canful Motors in Kowloon Bay that carries Techart but I have never been there personally. Not sure if you are from HK or visiting but if the latter then you'll find prices are more expensive than in U.S. and Europe. There are a few rim shops in Wanchai, Causeway Bay and Tin Hau but not Porsche specific.

There is a reasonable priced carbon fiber manufacturer that sells direct to the public that I was in contact with a few months ago (but have not had a chance to visit) as I wanted to see if he could make reasonably priced cf RS-style door panels and center consoles.

Quick Reply: Hong Kong Rennlister question.