Rebuilt tranmission is LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rebuilt tranmission is LOCKED!

The very reputable rebuilder shall remain nameless until I find out what's really happening here. But anyway, we reinstalled my fresh tranny yesterday, buttoned everything up and the gear shifter would not budge AT ALL. My friend was able to see the clutch slave and fork actuating just fine, as I pumped the pedal. Linkage was all correct too. He turned both wheels together (on a lift) and then I tried to put it in gear from below the car. Wheels got harder to turn and made some clicking sound. That's where we left it. Now it's stuck on this guy's lift (in the hood) and I will have my towing insurance flatbed it to Patrick Motorsports in the morning. Trouble is that the tranny rebuilder is pretty far away. What the hell could this be? It's not like to you can reinstall a tranny several different ways. I replaced linkage angular joint bushings and the shift coupler with new OEM parts. It almost feels like my shift rod suddenly grew by a few inches and the tranny selector rod won't move nearly as far as it needs to. So frustrated with all this.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Which is why when I finish working on a transmission and have it all together, I then manually shift it through all the gears up and down to make sure everything works.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile What a bummer...

I hope its something simple...I am certain that Monday AM you'll be on the horn to the rebuilder. As you say he is reputable...you may have to remove it and send it back

Once upon a time I had mine rebuilt locally...they screwed up on the steel synchros, had to pull the tranny and fix it at their expense. Now that was break.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think I should have to R&R the tranny to send back to them. That would entail flatbedding it at least two more times and my renting a car two more times to drive the tranny 200 miles to the shop. I'm gonna let Patrick's diagnose and deal with the rebuilder. Pretty sure they know each other well. Rebuilder even asked me why I didn't just send it to Patrick's in the first place. What the hell could they have done wrong? They do 993 trannies all day long.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Rick,
Very sorry to hear this - please update this thread once you know more.

What a pisser.

Andreas
Old 01-31-2010, 06:39 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh that's a real nightmare. Sounds like you went with an established and knowledgeable shop though, hopefully they will make it right. Best of luck with it.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bummer, Rick. Good luck in figuring it out. If it's a top-flight shop like Copans or Cervelli, I'm sure they'll make it right.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RL, have you isolated the problem as close to the gearbox as possible? You've gotten under the car and tried to shift it with the linkage, etc?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

There is an eccentric adjuster on the input shift rod ( as shown): prior to an R&R, it may be worthwhile to index its position, loosen the 2x10mm head bolts on the flange .... and rotate the 13mm nut while attempting to shift the box. If that does nothing, no harm done: just return to the index & lock it down.

When I pulled the top two cases of a G64, and changed the case holding this gizmo, I lost the setting: on reassembly, I hooked up the shifter & cycled gears while playing with its adjustment. I cannot say that it would lock the shifter, but it was notchy & difficult to shift until the sweet spot was found .... link here ... and now that I've refreshed my memory of 3.1/2 years ago, perhaps it is of no consquence. Regardless, 5 min to confirm.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
RL, have you isolated the problem as close to the gearbox as possible? You've gotten under the car and tried to shift it with the linkage, etc?
I would certainly try this as it tells you where the problem lies. Surely the rebuilder checked it before shipping?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

can you remove the shift linkage and install a long bolt into the shifter shaft on the gbx? At that point you'll be able to run the shaft in and out for 3rd and 4th -- rotate and plunge the shaft for the other gears as well.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Garth, I am not touching that tensioning plate. That was surely reset by the rebuilder and is not something to trifle with. I did play with the selector rod a little when I had the tranny on a stand. Seemed very stiff, but did move. I was just over at Calvin4S's house and he thinks it's the linkage. I'm wondering if I bent that long rod with the ball cup bushings on each end. But I certainly would have seen anything more than a slight bow in it and I can't believe it's bad enough to make the shifter feel like it's welded in place. Will have Patrick do full diagnosis tomorrow.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't add much, but if you can't find 'em grind 'em!

Good luck with the fix.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Rick.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE

The issue was that I had the wrong shift coupler. I bought a new old stock one on eBay that was advertised as for a 993 C2 and there was some blurb about it having a superceded part number. It arrived, looked just like my old one, which I had modified with poly because the rubber was so worn, came with the new boot and bolts. I decided I wanted to go back to stock while I had it all apart and this normally $258 part I snagged for $20. Lesson learned - check part numbers and parts side by side before install. Anyway, Patrick Motorsports had a used one laying around and slapped it in. They still haven't driven the car, but I'm assuming the tranny is fine and this was the only issue. I will try to get down there to pick it up today and will report back tonight.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt tranmission is LOCKED!