Sponsored by:

Crunchy brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 PM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crunchy brake pedal

Had my annual oil change and bi-annual brake fluid change yesterday at a local independent. Picked up the car today and noticed something strange. After starting the car cold (after sitting a hour or two), when pushing on the brake pedal it felt kind of crunchy, notchy, sticky for the first two or three pumps. Then it felt fine. Drove about 25 freeway miles, not touching the brakes. Then when exiting the freeway and applying the brakes, it felt crunchy again. After two or three pumps of the pedal, it was fine again. Braking action is strong. No mushiness or softness in pedal. Stop and go driving was problem free. I didn't have this issue before brake fluid change. I was thinking there might be some debris in the fluid that was stirred up with the flush that settles after not using brakes for a while, effecting the initial pedal feel. Suggestions/ideas appreciated. Taking the car back to the shop tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:04 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be something as simple as some 'grit' from the carpets getting into the cogs/mechanism. I'd personally pull the carpets up (so you can see the 'mechanicals' in that cut-out in the wooden floorboard) before I'd start going 'elsewhere'.
I'd even go as far as to give the area a good spritz with e.g. WD-40 and (then follow up with) some good quality grease. (You'll probably need a nice long thin plastic spatula or somesuch.)

Gerry
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

i had a similar problem when an indie bled my brakes. when I did it myself I followed the DIY from RL and pcarworkshop.com - 993s used a couple of different systems for ABS. the TT and C4 models used a pressure tank located in the front boot under the passenger side carpet. that has a bleed screw that must be bled once before bleeding the 4 calipers. solved my problem. your experience may be different! good luck
Old 01-30-2010, 03:25 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips.
After two more flushes, everything appears to be back to normal. Originally, the brakes acted normally when tested after the initial flush. Problem only came up after car sat for an hour or two after use. Looks like my shop ran at least a quart and a half of DOT4 through the system to clean out any contaminants or debris. So far, brakes are fine. I'm guessing the TT braking system is a bit more complicated with the extra pump, etc.

Quick Reply: Crunchy brake pedal