Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To respray or not to respray

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Stealth 993, that is exactly what I was thinking. The hood does have some normal wear chips and scratches which I'm sure will be far more visible after doing the bumper. I think I'm leaning towards doing it, documenting it accordingly, but want to make sure the $300 add'l is not a mistake.

After all, the car is for me, not for car show judges or future owners. Unless something happens, not planning on selling it in a long time. Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One final thought--late as it is. I was told by a very reputable shop owner that once these plastic bumper convers are repainted they are never as "durable" (his word) as the original in terms of rock chipping. Something to do with the current technology in paint adhesion.

That's another reason I'm going to "art school" to learn how to correct all this myself.

The clear bra, if you do respray, whould help the durability loads too.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Paint is a maintenance item, IMO. I've had my front cover resprayed twice. My car is a DD. The first time someone backed into the car while I was sitting at a traffic light!! It cost $400 IIRC seven years ago and wasn't a great job.

The second time was about two years ago @65k miles. Resprayed covers do seem to chip easier. I also had an accumulation of chips on the hood and some sloppy paint repair around one headlight by a PO. The second time included a hood respray, blending on the fenders and doing the cover. Cost was somewhere north of $2K (have to check records to confirm). It is much better quality than the first repair and, at 80K miles, the car still turns heads.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Franz993
Stealth 993, that is exactly what I was thinking. The hood does have some normal wear chips and scratches which I'm sure will be far more visible after doing the bumper. I think I'm leaning towards doing it, documenting it accordingly, but want to make sure the $300 add'l is not a mistake.

After all, the car is for me, not for car show judges or future owners. Unless something happens, not planning on selling it in a long time. Thanks guys.
I go on the basis of my C4S, the front was chipped pretty well lots of very small ones. Had the bumper done, & removed the bumperetts & license plate holes. It was FLAWLESS, but then, all the small chips on the fender & hood stood out like a sore thumb. It took me about 20hrs to fix the hood & fenders before I had the entire front end covered in clear bra.

I have a very high end shop here that does perfect work, but just my bumper was $1400. Then the clear bra was well over $2k. But I have no lines, & if I don't tell you it's there, you will not know.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
fullbooker
Racer

I think that you'll find "the hood and fenders looked great until I repainted the bumper cover." For only $300 it certainly sounds like its worth it. If you don't do it now, my bet is that you'll regret it.
Since I do not Concours my car, the little stuff, small rock chips, etc., don't get to me so much.
You might also talk to your body shop about Armour Coat. Its a more resiliant clear coat designed to reduce rock chips, etc.
Phil
Old 01-20-2010, 01:04 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanL993
I was told by a very reputable shop owner that once these plastic bumper convers are repainted they are never as "durable" (his word) as the original in terms of rock chipping.
absolutely
Nothing is as hard as factory paint.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Franz993
Also, it's a respray w/o removing the fenders.
Are they replacing the webbing between the fender and cowl? If they are not removing the fenders, will there be a visible tape line where the new paint ends? I'd get several estimates and opinions on how to do a proper job so it enhances the value of the car. Think about it in terms of restoration back to factory quality.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to remove the front fenders to paint on a 993

Quick Reply: To respray or not to respray