Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help please, engine related, how do I get these out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help please, engine related, how do I get these out?

Hi There

In my continued efforts to get the "easy" lefthand as you look at the engine, timing chain cover off I am stuck at the two of the bolt like fixings that hold the airtube on. The ones I mean are accessed from inside the engine cover and look almost completely inaccessible.

Does anyone know how to get these out and what type of drive they take? It almost looks easier to drill them out from below.

I have the four conventional bolts out and I am guessing that once these are off then the airtube will come down to reveal the left hand engine tin that blocks the valve cover. Then somehow that comes out.

I already have the complete exhaust system off including the exchangers. The bumper is on.

All the best

Berni
Old 01-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean #14 in the diagram below? I thought there were only the 4 bolts holding it onto the air control tube #8 in the second diagram.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If #14 bolts, all 4 of them are accessible from under the car. Even easier with the exhaust out.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:06 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi There

The part I am trying to get off is No8 in the diagram at the bottom. The big cast tube that runs the width of the car at the rear.

Four bolts hold it on on the left around the opening and two half way along. You can just about see them if you peer right down into the engine bay, and even then only half of the head. A long extension with a univeral joint would get there perhaps. I am not sure what would go on the end though, they do not look like allen headed bolts.

I am guessing that the tray that I am trying to remove will drop down after the air tube comes off and will allow me to move the timing chain cover off the studs and change the gasket.

Thanks again

Berni
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To get #8 out, there are two hex bolts that must be removed from the top (inside engine compartment).
Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM
axl911
Drifting

Pics.
Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If those bolts are the ones I'm thinking of they're 10mm hex bolts or maybe they were 6mm... I ended up getting a ball ended Allen wrench that was long enough. The ball end let me get in there, a standard extention didn't work for me. I dislike those bolts...
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi Guys

That is fantastic. Thank you very much. Great pictures. I will have to have a rummage around and see what I have that might get down there. I can see that it is not going to be easy. I might have to modify (bend) an allen key and see how I get on.

Am I right in thinking that once the tube is off I will be able to remove that corner of engine tin (visible in Axl911's first picture) and then get the timing chain cover off? I read in one post that one needs to drop the engine a bit, but I cannot see how that is going to help.

Thanks again

Berni
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 PM
axl911
Drifting

"That is fantastic. Thank you very much. Great pictures. I will have to have a rummage around and see what I have that might get down there. I can see that it is not going to be easy. I might have to modify (bend) an allen key and see how I get on."

Just use a long allen key.

"Am I right in thinking that once the tube is off I will be able to remove that corner of engine tin (visible in Axl911's first picture) and then get the timing chain cover off? I read in one post that one needs to drop the engine a bit, but I cannot see how that is going to help."

The rear engine tin is one piece and you will have to take it off. I think you can then get the timing chain cover out. See pic.

Also, here is an extensive collection of 993 engine pictures from MikeJ.

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...ngine_Pictures
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi

Thank you again. I feel much more confident now. Its night here in the UK but I shall have a go tomorrow.

Berni
Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi Guys

Right, its off! I had to drill both bolts out from below which was not fun. Not as hard as the exhaust studs I recently drilled out though.

I have the engine tin off and the timing chain cover is there in all its dripping beauty ready to be pulled tomorrow. My engine tin is a bit rusty so I am going to try to find a replacement.

Edit.. While I am here is it worth doing the right hand timing chain cover? I have to remove the engine carrier and aircon support which looks doable. Am I missing something?

Thanks again

Berni

Last edited by berni29; 01-17-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

For the right side chain box cover, to get the a/c console off, you'll have to remove the lower crank pulley as well.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi Chris

Thanks for letting me know that. I will change as many rubbers as I can on that one then and leave the gasket. It does not really leak. I might run some Loctite oil resistant silicone sealer round the edge while I have the heat shield off just for good measure.

Thanks again

Berni

Quick Reply: Help please, engine related, how do I get these out?