Sponsored by:

Black cab at Victory Motorcars

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Tom 328
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black cab at Victory Motorcars

I've been looking for a 993 for some time and am very particular about the options/colors I want. My ideal 993 is a Black/Cashmere cab with manual trans, hi-fi sound (just b/c I like the door panels better), sport seats, supple leather. Victory Motorcars has that exact car, but I live in Oregon, and what I've heard about them hasn't been very flattering. Is it even worth checking out, or are they simply known for making nice presentations of sub-standard cars? Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Uhhh... I'd do a search here on RL and Google for Victory...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 82 Posts

Name:  notagain.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  18.8 KB

They have a "checkered" past. I would pass.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I am by no means defending Victory. Never dealt with them. I have a buddy who bought an excellent car there.

To the OP, if it is exactly what you want and you have thoroughly investigated the car from the extent that you can from Oregon. I would reach out to some of the Houston RL members and see if anyone can drive by and check it out. Then have Victory take it to a good PPI shop (not theirs). And go from there. It is possible that they have decent cars. But they are known to put lipstick on pigs.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Tom 328
Instructor

Thanks Patrick. After doing some more searches on here, and given the distance, I'm afraid I might not have the patience for a place like Victory - even if it is my ideal car. I've had enough of pigs/pit bulls with lipstick this past year or so. Btw I have a Range Rover now - I lke your choice in cars ;-)

Tom
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Tom:

Where in Oregon are you? I might be able to help you find one.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
mikefo
Advanced

Just so happens I purchased the exact car you described in October. A 95 C2. It was out of South Florida though. It had 12,400 miles when delivered. I paid 34k for it plus my expenses to pick it up and drive it home. So far its been a great car. I have no idea if I over or under paid for the car but it was what I wanted and was a 1 owner car. (the owner also has a 96 turbo with 2k and a C2 hardtop also with low miles all stored. The guy also a P51 mustang airplane. I am sure you will find what you want if you take your time.

Quick note on Victory. They outbid me on a 95 C4 Adventure Green in August. They paid 25k for it on a Ebay auction. I had no idea they had won the auction until it showed up again on Ebay 2 months later. They are still trying to sell it in the low $30 k range I think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_19682wt_1167

I had talked to the owner who ran it out of oil and had to have the engine rebuilt along with replacing a lot of the leather in the seats (Who nows why). I learned this from talking to the mechanic who gave me a lot of good info on the car. I believe it is a good car but the point is you would never know the history dealing with Victory or anyone else. Better to buy directly from a owner that you respect.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefo
I had talked to the owner who ran it out of oil and had to have the engine rebuilt
That's an odd one, considering the nearly 12 quart oil capacity of these cars...

Andreas
Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Tom 328
Instructor

Mike, i'm renaming you "mike-f-u" b/c im so jealous of your profile pic ;-) It seems like u got a great deal with that kind of mileage. There's one locally for $35k with 47k and worn leather, repainted side, but then again one sold last summer for $24k with the same mileage and was in perfect original shape. Timing is everything...

Paul, I'm in Portland - if you have any leads, I'd appreciate your help
Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure, they physically have the car. Unfortunately (for the buyer), the inventory does not match their offering. However, they always will offer a car "that is even better" than the very specific one you looked for ...
Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
mikefo
Advanced

The car ran on Ebay in October with a starting bid of 35k. The car received no bids. I called the owner and quickly agreed on the price. I think he just did not want to deal with selling the car. I will say this, you basically need to be a cash buyer on a 993 as I believe it would be hard to finance a 993. That takes a lot of potential buyers out. Don't be too jealous though. The excellence mag from this month implied I got a poor deal.

A week before I purchased mine I missed a private owner Ebay deal on a Arena Red 95 C2 Coupe with Black Leather and around 10k get sold for 28K. The car had a odd partial wood steering wheel option and wood shifter handle. I believe the new owner posts on this board. I think he had a couple of things to sort out related to the super low miles but that was the car and deal I wanted. I purchased the cab as a compromise although I am very happy with the car.

I still believe if you are patient you will get a great deal on a low milage car. This economy will shake more low mile collector cars out of the woodwork. Just check Ebay every couple of days and focus on the private sellers. Make sure they are people who you would want to buy from. Probably purchase an inspection on most cars even though I did not after spending hours talking with the owner.

The picture was grabbed from the Ebay listing. I need to get around to taking a couple of pics. The weather has just sucked for the last couple of months in Tulsa.

Good Luck.

On the 95 Adventure Green C4 running low on oil, I agree. The guys mechanic told me the previous owner was not a sport car guy or mechanically inclined. Apparently he must have run it a couple of quarts low or something. He claimed to have invested 25k (had receipts) in the last year between replacing the seat leather, rebuilding the engine and replacing the clutch. In any case, the mechanic claimed the car was very sold but not ultra clean. I decided to move on in my search. Probably a steal at 25k though.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Excellence...implied I got a poor deal...mikefo
I think you did very well.

And I'm sure you've read all the moanings in the recent thread on Excellence evaluations.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Tom:

PM'd you.

Paul.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM
mikefo
Advanced

Finally got a few picks together. Tom, as you look for a cab check for the following things:

1. Check rubber mat below carpets for wetness. The rubber retains the water and will be a giveaway for a leak.
2. Look for a worn spot on both sides of the top midway back. Some owners fail to make sure the top is folded correctly before letting it go all the ways down. It creates a tear in the top.
3. Beware - The top motor are cable versus hydraulic. By far my BMW 330 IC is a superior motor and has a glass back window to boot. The PCars seem more likely to have malfunctions. Nothing that can not be handled DIY but still issues.

Good Luck.

Let us know when you find one.

I will let you know if a see a good one for sale.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Black cab at Victory Motorcars