Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cashmere Leather Re-Dye: Done with Pix!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

can folks please describe the products/process they used to prep the seats before applying dye. This seems to be the most important part, so I'm curious how much prep (sanding?) people are doing.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
can folks please describe the products/process they used to prep the seats before applying dye. This seems to be the most important part, so I'm curious how much prep (sanding?) people are doing.
Hey Quad, i used the Leatherique system but there are others that are supposedly good as well. The entire kit cost about 180 dollars, it comes with DYE, Cleaner, Leather restoration oil, and surface prep as well as crack filler. I stripped the seats with laquer thinner and then went back over them with acetone. I dont think sanding is really necessary but i did do it in some spots which made it softer but you have to be careful not to turn the leather into suede. I went all the way and took as much color off as i could, it was a lot of work. Then let dry for a few days then soaked everything in the leather oil for a week or so reaplying a couple of times. Then i used the surface prep to wipe it all down and let that dry for a couple of days. I then applyed the DYE with a rag and let it soak into the leather. After that i used an airbrush to apply the next couple of coats of dye. The airbrush or some sort of sprayer is a MUST in my opinion, it will put the dye on in a nice even coat with no brush strokes and give it that matte finish. Heres a couple of pics where you can see where i have removed the color with the laquer thinner.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I noticed there is a Cashmere and a Cashmere II interior color. Which years had which? I want to do this same interior touch up job but am struggling to find the correct color dye for my cashmere seats. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on spray application. Much less likely to overdo in spots and it avoids any strokes. Very nice work ll of you.

I re-dyed some 996 hard backs that I decided not to use. The buyer (admittedly naive) asked if they had ever been used!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 AM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on cosmetic sponge....for my Targa. I bot black from colorplus and just followed their instructions...cleaned surface with their citrus cleaner...sand papered down with 400 grade purchased from Home Depot...cleaned again....then sponge applied black to touch up fading....was my first leather work ever and friends thot nothing had been done to the seats!...

Quick Reply: Cashmere Leather Re-Dye: Done with Pix!