Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tin removal .... I am stuck. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine tin removal .... I am stuck. Help please!

Hi There

I have read back through many posts related to engine removal, valve cover removal and timing chain cover removal, but I cannot see how to remove the tin tray that goes around the engine. People do seem to be able to do it with the engine in.

The end game is me removing the left as you look at the back (non aircon side) timing chain cover in order to replace the gasket. With the tin gone it looks like the cover will clear the studs and come off.

At the moment I have the whole exhaust off including the cat and exchangers (and will be doing a post on snapped stud drilling once I have won that battle).

I have not removed the long heater tube yet because I am not altogether sure how that comes off. I can see some bolts at each end but there seem to be some sort of fixings along the length as well.

Can anyone give me some guidance please? There were some picture links in an old post but the pictures are no longer there.

Also my car is a Tip. If I undo the engine mounts can I drop the engine a bit if required or do I need to undo the transmission mounts as well?

As a bonus I want to treat the engine tin for rust. If the tin is in halves I am ok with leaving the right hand side if it is a pain to get out.

Any help much appreciated.

Berni
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "fixings" along the length attach to the heat shield I believe. It sounds like you have not removed the rear bumper, correct?

I think the heat shield should come off with the heater tube. there are 5 or 6 small hex head fasteners on the drivers side and 1 or 2 on the passenger side if I recall correctly. Then the silicone elbows from the heat exchangers need to come off as well.

If you are still having trouble, tonight I'll look at my pictures from my engine drop last month to refresh my memory and explain in greater detail.

David
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi David

Thank you very much for the reply. You are right the bumper is still on. It has only just been replaced after a very light rear end 1hr after I bought the car and I am loath to take it off as it took the bodyshop quite a while to get it aligned properly!

I have the elbows off already along with the exchangers. On mine they were rubber although all the other tubing is orange. I have all new orange tubing but not the elbows that go to the heater tube yet.

So the fixing along the edge are for the heat shield. That makes sense. I was worried they connected the tube to the engine tin.

Many thanks again!

Berni

Quick Reply: Engine tin removal .... I am stuck. Help please!