Sponsored by:

Biggest transition from one car to the next

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM
ballpeen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I went from a Ford Falcon with a 200 straight 6 and a 3-on-the-tree to a Mustang GT.
Had a '63 Falcon myself, same set-up (and this was in 1993!). From this I went to a '70 Bronco.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

1969 Mustang 428 cobra jet to a 1972 Datsun 510...I miss the 510 the Mustang handled like a wheellbarrow full of bowling *****. Sold the Mustang for $2300 (that hurts) But it really was a point and shoot kind of car.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

During the 70s oil embargo I bought a 75 Mustang MPG. One of the least performance cars ever built. A VW Bus could beat it going uphill. It lasted exactly one year-did I mention it also had some recurrent electrical problems? I was in west TX and bought a 2 dr Buick Century Special with inverted carpet-rubber side up. One of the best and easiest to work on cars I ever owned-and a wiz for speed too.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also made a very questionable move during the oil shortage of the early '70s. I traded a 1969 Camaro SS convertible, with 4 speed, plus cash for a 1974 Plymouth Duster with the slant 6 engine. This was by far the low point of my automotive purchase history.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't call my CRX-VTec a bad car.... I owned it for 11 years and still had it after I bought the RS. The engine was so smooth and loved revving. I missed the Honda so much that I now own the S2000. Love it!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
I also made a very questionable move during the oil shortage of the early '70s. I traded a 1969 Camaro SS convertible, with 4 speed, plus cash for a 1974 Plymouth Duster with the slant 6 engine. This was by far the low point of my automotive purchase history.
Ouch! That hurts!

I've had some bi-polar trades in the past:

1972 Jaguar XJ-6 to 1974 Westfalia Camper - wrecked the Jag

Next went to a 1980 Rabbit Convertible - one of the best cars I've owned

Then to 1985 Trans Am - one of the worst cars I'd owned, no, it was the worst - but I'd love to have another

Then to a 1988 Jeep Cherokee

to a 1988 Isuzu Impulse - one of the other best cars I've owned. Lotus suspension, beautiful Guigiaro styling and Japanese reliability.

Then to 2 Lexus - a 400LS and a 300GS - The LS was probably the best car I've owned. The GS was so-so

Then, to a 2003 Honda Civic Coupe! Saw the gas prices going up and wasn't so excited about the GS. The Civic is an amazing, though basic, car. Still have it.

Now, the '97 Cab.

May not be a complete geneology, but close.

Vince
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

81 Buick Skylark to a 89 VW GTI 16V

My parents gave me the old family Buick to take to school; nothing like a little 4 door sedan with wire wheel covers when trying to impress the girls, but at least I had a car.

With my first paying job after graduation, I started looking for a real car. I wanted a used 911, but my budget would only allow a 74-75 model, and being in Chicago, the ones I saw had rust..and who knows what engine issues would have been lurking.

I loved the 83 GTI when they came out, so I stopped by the local VW dealer and came home with my new 89 GTI 16V. I wish I still had the car, but the years in Chicago killed the body panels.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 AM
P93C4S
Intermediate

OK, I'll play too...you guys will laugh at this. My very first car was one of, if not the biggest Ford flops ever. Over time the model redeemed itself though and actually was sought after by some collectors.
When I was 8 years old I received my first car as a gift from my grandfather...it was a 1959 Edsel, light green with a white top. Light green/ white plaid interior. I grew up in the country and drove this car around in the fields, learning to drive sitting on my dads lap at first, and later going solo with the aid of wood blocks attached to the pedals and a booster seat so I could see over the dash and reach the pedals. I sold it when I was 12 and put the money in a timed savings account that I took back out in three years at 15 and bought a 1976 Ford Ranchero which I could legally drive with my permit as long as my 18 year old sister was in the car. She loved this because she didn't like driving and I did.
I only had the Ranchero for one year then got a '67 camaro RS/SS at 16.
I always had a bug for porsche because my Grandfather had a '65 356C (still in the family)
Many other muscle cars between the Camaro and the 993 which I finally got at age 32.
When I was younger I bought my cars (except the Edsel) with money I made running a trap line...kinda back woods, I know, but man thats when there was a strong market for fur. Not very PC these days.
My dad had me running it like a business with him helping as the accountant....it was great Father / Son bonding time.
In the garrage now:
'06 Mustand GT
'71 R/T challenger Plum crazy purple original
'72 Cuda Mopar baby!
'69 Camaro RS/SS 530 HP Hugger orange resto-mod
'97 C4S my favorite car

In the house is one very understand wifey! ;-)
Kris
Old 01-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
My biggest transition was from '82 Z28 Camaro to an '84 Scirocco. US V8 horsepower / handling / auto / RWD to German 4cyl 1.8L manual FWD (not my first manual though). A Camaro was sadly the last US car I have bought, though I have rented / driven many since then.

I sometimes wonder if the US rental fleet does a disservice to the US manufactures. I remain unimpressed by the rental fleets (I rent 15+ times every year) of US models and I must admit it has given me a less then favorable ongoing view of US models. I sometimes wonder if rental / lease fleets have contributed to the downfall of US brands, as that gave them a short-term outlet for mediocre product. Bad designs could be foisted off on the "fleets" and thus made it look like those models / brands were still viable when in fact they relied on a captive market and were not in fact making as many sales as it would first appear. And adding to that was the flood of those fleets into the used car market with minimal options, thus being a double whammy to perceive model / brand quality and value to used car buyers too.

It would be interesting data to seen the relationship of frequent business renters and their associate car purchases. With only a few exceptions over the past 20+ years, my rental experience has not resulted in a favorable view of those associated models. The two exceptions (out of 100s of rentals) I can think of where a Mustang in Maui and a Cicic Type R in Germany, but I have never bought either, so while a positive "test drive", it still didn't result in a future purchase.

To your point, I was "upgraded" to a Hummer H3 this week....had to do a lot of driving that day so I was able to form a valid opinion. So my parting words to the guy when when I returned the vehicle to the airport that evening was "there is no mystery as to why GM is in so much trouble".

Quick Reply: Biggest transition from one car to the next