Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Task hours? R&R ignition wires, R&R valve c'vr gaskets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Task hours? R&R ignition wires, R&R valve c'vr gaskets.

In terms of shop hours what does it take to R&R the ignition wires and R&R valve cover gaskets (all)? Because there engine related (localized so-to- speak) is there economy of scale? Doing these task's concurrent maybe there is a time savings?

Last edited by M. Schneider; 01-08-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There certainly is if you drop the engine and do them all That said I haven't had the pleasure of doing the wires or upper covers yet so I can't say.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Engine out for uppers and wires. Easy decision, probably quicker in the end. Plus, do the plugs and SAI check valve while you're there.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the wires even with the engine out is PITA. It probably took me 1- 1.5 hours. I can't imagine the difficulty factor with the engine in. I think I remember a post recently where Andreas and Cactus changed the wires with the engine in?

Upper and lower covers are a piece of cake with the engine out. Probably 0.5 hr per vc. Another hour to get things all cleaned up. Not sure on the difficulty with changing the upper VCs with the engine in.

I did my lowers VCs with the engine in. It was pretty easy. 30-40 min per side. As I recall there are 1 or 2 of the hex head bolts that you will have limited access to.

Bob-
Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed the wires on mine with the engine out. Very fiddly job.

Took me 3-4 hours to get the right wire where needed... and some wires were 3-4 cms longer than needed and I had to think out where to reroute as if the engine was in.

out comes your motor is best bet IMO GL
Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guy's . . . The engine is NOT coming out to perform these two maintenence tasks.
I'm trying to get a handle on what is billable times for these tasks. (engine installed) The Valve covers (all) can be R&R'd with a muffler removal or two. Dam mufflers,,,but hey there removed easy enough.

I suppose a phone call to the Porsche dealership might be helpful as they would have a piece meal cost schedule $$ for repair tasks.

At issue is a mechanic's quote of 8 hours to R&R the valve cover gaskets; all, upper and lower covers. And a quote of 6 hours to R&R the ignition wires using OEM Beru wire set fully dressed.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Thanks guy's . . . The engine is NOT coming out to perform these two maintenence tasks.
I'm trying to get a handle on what is billable times for these tasks. (engine installed) The Valve covers (all) can be R&R'd with a muffler removal or two. Dam mufflers,,,but hey there removed easy enough.

I suppose a phone call to the Porsche dealership might be helpful as they would have a piece meal cost schedule $$ for repair tasks.

At issue is a mechanic's quote of 8 hours to R&R the valve cover gaskets; all, upper and lower covers. And a quote of 6 hours to R&R the ignition wires using OEM Beru wire set fully dressed.
Wow, that sounds high to me. 6 hrs. to R&R wires is crazy to me, it's a PITA job but shouldn't take that log for an experienced wrench.

I did mine (previous 993) with the engine in but Viper Bob suggested awhile back just lowering the engine with the mount bolts and lifting off the intake manifold to do the job, makes sense to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

The OEN Beru set is not as fully dressed as they want you to believe... see my earlier post.

Easy to identify which is which but....

GL
Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 AM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed the plugs, caps, rotors, wires & SAI valve with the engine in. It took ~4hrs. Removing accessories from the intake manifold helps. I've done 3 this way.

I've helped with one in which the motor was lowered a few inches to provide more access space.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
The OEN Beru set is not as fully dressed as they want you to believe... see my earlier post.

Easy to identify which is which but....

GL
Actually, if you buy the right set (not from Porsche), they come completely loomed and are an exact fit. This is the way we get them. And yes, lifting the intake is necessary. On a non v-ram car you do not need to lower the engine. On a v-ram car you do.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the wires with the engine in, and didn't lift the intake manifold. It's possible. Tough fit on some spots, required the right ratchet phillips to snug the bolts down (tied it to my wrist to make sure I didn't drop it and lose it).

I think I spent 6 hours on it, likely will be faster my next time.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The Valve covers (all) can be R&R'd with a muffler removal or two. Dam mufflers,,,but hey there removed easy enough.
The mufflers really arent the issue with the uppers, its the power steering pump -- the left side upper isnt that bad engine in situ.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FisterD
Actually, if you buy the right set (not from Porsche), they come completely loomed and are an exact fit. This is the way we get them. And yes, lifting the intake is necessary. On a non v-ram car you do not need to lower the engine. On a v-ram car you do.
Good point... I bought mine from the big PPPPP.....
Old 01-09-2010, 03:10 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The scheduled task time, per the Porsche dealership's PCNA data, for a complete ignition wire R&R is 6.3 hours and the complete (upper & lower) valve cover gasket replacement R&R is 5.1 hours. EDIT: Engine in vehicle.
The dealership indicated this would be their time/formula plus parts cost to perform these service tasks. Fair enough until the stupid line items such as "shop supplies" is factored in......LOL! Oh yeah,,, you had the ignition wire service.... yeap. Thats $92.50 for shop supplies! Plus you got's yer Monday fee's, state and local taxes, et cetra, etc, etc. Frick'in car service business..

Ignition wire set: 6.3 hours.
Valve cover (all) 5.1 hours.

To all, Thanks to all for playing along.

Last edited by M. Schneider; 01-09-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

The scheduled task time, per the Porsche dealership's PCNA data, for a complete ignition wire R&R is 6.3 hours and the complete (upper & lower) valve cover gasket replacement R&R is 5.1 hours.
The dealership indicated this would be their time/formula plus parts cost to perform these service tasks. Fair enough until the stupid line items such as "shop supplies" is factored in......LOL! Oh yeah,,, you had the ignition wire service.... yeap. Thats $92.50 for shop supplies! Plus you got's yer Monday fee's, state and local taxes, et cetra, etc, etc. Frick'in car service business..

Ignition wire set: 6.3 hours.
Valve cover (all) 5.1 hours.

To all, Thanks to all for playing along.

I'd find a decent independant. There is some time saved by doing both at once.
Anyhow, some shops are going to quote "by the book"... sucks, yes.

I am almost afraid to ask but how much are they charging for the wire set?

Quick Reply: Task hours? R&R ignition wires, R&R valve c'vr gaskets.