Sponsored by:

CDR220 with iPod

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CDR220 with iPod

I noted an interesting problem with my iPod playing through CDR220. When listening to podcasts, I had pretty serious interference, engine I assume. It is there when listening to music, but not as noticeable. This was my first long ride in the car and had not noticed it before. I did not do the install, but there is an iPod cable that I assume is plugged into the back of the CDR.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks,

Vince
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

try using a ground isolator, you can get them at Radio Shack.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

How do you supply power to the ipod? Do you have the same noises when playing in battery mode?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Vince has my former car, I did the CDR/Ipod install. All plugs on this are the original Porsche/Becker plugs except this was done before Becker had the direct to Ipod cable setup, the Becker plug goes to 2 RCA plugs and the Ipod connector plugs into the RCA's. I don't think it is one that charges but I'm not sure, Vince, you have all the documentation for that setup but I'm not sure there was ever a doc on that RCA to Ipod cable.

I purchased a CDR 220 for my new 993 and Becker is sending me back the modified faceplate and their "new" Ipod cable that works directly with the Ipod (eliminates the RCA connectors), I'll let you know how that works.

As for static, I never played podcasts but never experienced any static when I used an Ipod in the car.

Here is the new Becker cable (this is NOT what Vince's setup has): Becker Ipod cable. I would consider upgrading to the new cable if it persists.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill. The first time I noticed it was driving to Jackson for the MTFR breakfast. It seemed to get worse the longer I drove. Actually did not notice it until I was almost in Jackson. It does charge the iPod.

Let me know how the new setup works.

Cheers,

Vince
Old 01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine has a slight alternator whine that is significantly increased at night -- presummably because of the headlights, and maybe other increased electrical loads. It can be reduced (and hopefully eliminated) by a noise filter, which I will eventually install.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I received the modified display and the new version Ipod cable from Becker today. That cable is not cheap, $65. But then again Becker is now charging $15 to download (pdf) their manuals now too. Good thing I have a copy already.

Depends on what the temp is this w/e as to whether I install it.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

How is the display different? I noticed in the latest Porsche accesories catalog that they have an iPod inerface for older cars - the $65 is probably what they are referring too?

Let me know wht you find out.

Vince

Quick Reply: CDR220 with iPod