Sponsored by:

A Winter Cleaning Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
I live in TN and it has been pretty cold. Before Christmas, I drove my car in the rain and got a bit dirty. Now that I am back in town, I'd like to clean it up - but it is so darn cold, that I'm seriously afraid to wash the car - it might freeze! High's in the 20s. Is it safe to use alot of detail spray for cleaning?

Thanks,

Vince
I use the Griot's Garage Spray on Car Wash on my daily driver in the winter.
The kit comes with three soft micro-fiber cloths that you remove the grime with.
Care must be taken with the amount of pressure applied, but it is a good alternative to using a bucket with soap in the winter.
Click:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ar+wash+kit.do

Instruction video:http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7/video/flas...x240&locale=en
Old 01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Faced with this dilemma myself after being caught in sleet last week, I broke down and used copious amounts of detailer and a very gentle wipe to get the grime off.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Bill:

WTF happened to all the nice weather and never snowing you told me about? I don't know I am getting nervous. JK you should see it here. IT SUCKS.

Mike
Hey, I just told you that crap to get you to move here, now that you've made the commitment the truth will come out.

I literally slid about 100 yds. yesterday afternoon in the Cayenne down the hill and through the stopsign near our development. I missed a lady in a Volvo stuck in the middle of the road trying to get up the hill by less than 6 in.! The whole road was ice. I slip-slided (walking) my way back up the hill to help her get turned around so she could slide back down the hill and go back home. There were quite a few cars that slid off the roads near us. Those 2 roads are notorious during icy conditions but they're the only roads that access our development. About an hour after my experience they had salted both the roads due to all the problems (finally). The development is an icerink but haven't seen any mailboxes knocked over yet.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 01-08-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Vince- I'm in the same boat as you, but have decided to wait until the weather warms to wash the 993 (and all our other cars). I made the mistake of running my M3 through a carwash before the Cars and Coffee last weekend and, as Bill can tell you, I had frozen water drops all over my car by the time I got to Cool Springs.

Quick Reply: A Winter Cleaning Question