993 Forum 1995-1998

993 GT2/RSR Look

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
98C4S
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 GT2/RSR Look

Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum but a regular on pistonheads under the same username.

I have owned 3 993s in the past, a Boxster, and now a modified/tuned Cayman S.

All my P-Cars have been second cars that come out when the weather is good.

I am having serious withdrawal symptoms and need to get back in to something aircooled.

So here's what I am thinking, to create a 993 GT2 Replica out of a normally aspirated 993.

Do I need a widebody car?

Has anyone done this already - links with pics please?

What costs am I likely to incur.

I would tune the engine to either 3.8, or keep it as 3.6 and get more out of that.

Speedlines or BBS Mags, KW suspension..

Am I insane?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I'd start with a wide body, bolting the GT2 flares to a narrow body looks weird.

As to costs, it depends on how close to the real thing you want to go. If it's just a body kit, to get it right you're probably looking at $5K. Sunroof delete and paint is another $3K. Depending on the engine work you will probably spend between $8-15K. Then you have wheels and suspension that could be another $5-10K. The interior is probably going to cost you another $3-5K depending again on how close to the real thing you want to be and who's doing the work.

Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say, to do it right, ie. a clone (turbo conversion to the engine, all GT2 suspension bits, bodywork, interior, etc.) on a WB 993...your gonna spend AT LEAST $50K....plus the original car. If you stay NA, DON'T do the 3.8...it is probably the worst bang for the buck in terms of performance improvement. Also, do not expect to get much more out of a NA 3.6, Porsche did not leave much on the table. Ninemeister in the UK has a very interesting package for a NA, but it is not really available in the US.

Good luck. If you do this, you will have to post pics of the entire process, or the Rennlist bad ju-ju will haunt you for ever more.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 993 GT2 was based off the widebody car, the RSR was based off a NB car.

The front splitters are the same on each of the cars, the rear spoilers are different. The RSR had the RSCS wing, and of course the GT2 had the GT2 wing. The side skirts are slightly different, I believe the RSR ones are similar to the 993TT just with the front a little wider (to fit the flares)

Suspension was similar, the only real diffference was the solid mounts for the rear suspension console (tilt kit on the GT2 to reduce squat).

You are definatly not insane, this is the direction I am going to take with my own car....... Here are some pics of a factory RSR
Attached Images    
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

As for cost to do this right, I second Dave's post above (sorry Ilko!).

Cheap fiberglass bolt on bits are easy (and cheap), but you still do not have a GT2 or RSR...

Quality parts (wheels, suspension, engine work, transmission, paint) is ridiculously dear. I would be surprised if you ended up with something to be proud of, even if you dumped 50K into a base car. For that money, you might build something that "looks" good. But it is sure isn't going to go or handle commensurately.

But let's hear from those that have built quality RS/RSR/935 etc. replicas. I am guessing north of 100K easy. For something that you will be able to recoup 50 cents on the dollar, if it's in fact a quality job.

Hi Ilko, how are you! Looking forward to vsiting NYC again in the spring. Get together for beer at Jimmy's corner?

Best,

Matt
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Ninemeister's GT2 build is a great read. There are several threads, here's one
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Ilko, how are you! Looking forward to vsiting NYC again in the spring. Get together for beer at Jimmy's corner?
Definitely

Any other parts you're looking to get while you're here?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yum, I think I want to go to the RSR kit for my race car. Paint all those spllitters and flairs silver and you have my dream race car. Maybe next year...

Jeff

Originally Posted by trophy

The front splitters are the same on each of the cars, the rear spoilers are different. The RSR had the RSCS wing, and of course the GT2 had the GT2 wing. The side skirts are slightly different, I believe the RSR ones are similar to the 993TT just with the front a little wider (to fit the flares)

Suspension was similar, the only real diffference was the solid mounts for the rear suspension console (tilt kit on the GT2 to reduce squat).

You are definatly not insane, this is the direction I am going to take with my own car....... Here are some pics of a factory RSR
Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Ilko, it's a plan!

Any other parts you're looking to get while you're here?
I'd better stop the madness. I've got parts strewn across all of the US taking up space in family and friend's basements... seats, installation HW, RS heater tubes, soon to be wheels, tires...

But then again, spring is a few months away. I am sure I can find more 993 crap to burden you with!

Best,

Matt
Old 01-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by trophy

Wonderfull photos of what I believe the only red RSR-now owned not to far from me.
Couple of points-- the GT2 is based on turbo(wide) body car and the GT2 flares are wider(both front & rear) than the RSR --which itself is based on narrow body.Overall width of the GT2 is significently wider than RSR.
If I was building a replica--I would do GT2 if going turbo engine and RSR if going N/A-- both are just fantastic looking cars.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Red9, when you say, only red RSR , do you mean the only red RSR or the only red RSR near to you?

There is a red one in the UK, serviced in London.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Ninemeister's GT2 build is a great read. There are several threads, here's one
+1 Great read and an awesome car..... This one would be $100k+ Including cost of donor car.....

Originally Posted by Gasser
Yum, I think I want to go to the RSR kit for my race car. Paint all those spllitters and flairs silver and you have my dream race car. Maybe next year...

Jeff
Your car would look awesome with this body and done in Silver..... We can slide down this slope together

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
As for cost to do this right, I second Dave's post above (sorry Ilko!).

Cheap fiberglass bolt on bits are easy (and cheap), but you still do not have a GT2 or RSR...

Quality parts (wheels, suspension, engine work, transmission, paint) is ridiculously dear. I would be surprised if you ended up with something to be proud of, even if you dumped 50K into a base car. For that money, you might build something that "looks" good. But it is sure isn't going to go or handle commensurately.

But let's hear from those that have built quality RS/RSR/935 etc. replicas. I am guessing north of 100K easy. For something that you will be able to recoup 50 cents on the dollar, if it's in fact a quality job.

Matt
Definatly not cheap, but you will definatly get a car that has similar or better performance than trying to purchase a real one (if you can find it) and you will also be able to drive it on the road in north America.

Buying an original one will be north of $250k and more.....
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Hi 98C4S, there is a 993 GT2 replica conversion in London.

I saw this at a PC GB meet at the Ace Cafe last year.

Here is a link to the rebuild.

http://www.nur-motorsport.co.uk/pors...rsion_pics.htm

No affiliation etc.

Cheers

Phil
Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should get one

Name:  IMG00056-20090927-1415.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Red9, when you say, only red RSR , do you mean the only red RSR or the only red RSR near to you?

There is a red one in the UK, serviced in London.
Do you mean a UK RS CS ? I know you know that is not a RSR but RS CS was incorrectly commonly called RSR in the UK.

28 RSR built --25 white,1 black,1 red -- and 1 other-- colour I have forgotten --did not think it was red however.

Quick Reply: 993 GT2/RSR Look