Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers off, how (if) to clean exhaust ports.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headers off, how (if) to clean exhaust ports.........

Hi There

While my 993's rear suspension was apart I decided to strip the exhaust system and replace all the very rusted bolts with stainless steel ones. The headers are now off and I can clearly see the exhaust ports and valves.

For a 185k mile car the condition of the exhaust valves look good with fairly even grey deposits and no signs of localised burning.

The question is whether there is anything I can do or should do to clean the ports while the engine is still in the car. Is it worth attaching a soft pad to a battery drill and cleaning with neat redex or something or should I leave well alone?

Intuitively I think I should not attempt anything, but maybe there is something that those in the know do when presented with this opportunity.

This all assumes that the snapped header studs come out otherwise I could be looking at a possible engine out if things go horribly wrong. I know about the stud drilling tool but I am not quite there yet as the snapped studs still protrude a bit.

I was going to use one of these adjustable stud removers that look like a drill chuck. Anyone tried one?

All the best

Berni.

PS I might post this on the UK 911 forum as well, but I know that you guys are very good with engines!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd leave the ports alone for fear of getting particulate into the cylinders.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, just leave alone. Enemy of good enough is perfect and its made it this far. Cleaning those is not going to give you an 85 horsepower boost
Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi

I guess you are right. I keep getting these moments of madness!

Tks

berni
Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's not broke....don't fix it...
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by berni29
Hi There

While my 993's rear suspension was apart I decided to strip the exhaust system and replace all the very rusted bolts with stainless steel ones. The headers are now off and I can clearly see the exhaust ports and valves.

For a 185k mile car the condition of the exhaust valves look good with fairly even grey deposits and no signs of localised burning.

The question is whether there is anything I can do or should do to clean the ports while the engine is still in the car. Is it worth attaching a soft pad to a battery drill and cleaning with neat redex or something or should I leave well alone?

Intuitively I think I should not attempt anything, but maybe there is something that those in the know do when presented with this opportunity.

This all assumes that the snapped header studs come out otherwise I could be looking at a possible engine out if things go horribly wrong. I know about the stud drilling tool but I am not quite there yet as the snapped studs still protrude a bit.

I was going to use one of these adjustable stud removers that look like a drill chuck. Anyone tried one?

All the best

Berni.

PS I might post this on the UK 911 forum as well, but I know that you guys are very good with engines!
Hi Berni,

how many of the exhaust studs did you break?
Old 01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
berni29
Pro

Hi Red

I broke 2 in the end. I drilled them out almost to the threads. Would not budge. Then drilled a bit further. Chased some thread out then had to hacksaw a slot along the stud. I used a very sharp small electrical screwdriver and hammered it gently around the edge of the stud to get it to collapse and pull out.

I do have pictures. Very painful. I then retapped the holes because it all got a bit messy.

Berni

Quick Reply: Headers off, how (if) to clean exhaust ports.........