Sponsored by:

So how did we get here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
By some dumb luck and happenstance, I ended up acting on a soap opera for a few years in the late 1970s-early 1980s when I was a teenager. The heartthrob on the soap was an affable guy, and he had a brand new 911SC. He took me for some rides in that thing and I was hooked. My first Porsche was a 1963 356 Roadster, and by some more dumb luck, a girl I happened to start dating in 2004 had a pristine 1996 C4S with only 35K miles that she didn't like so much. Needless to say, I felt obliged to take it off her hands. I made lots of dumb moves with women over the years; buying the C4S from her was one of my few wise ones.
Sounds like a good start to a good soap opera, goofball!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Sean Hamilton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABCar
..........993............all that made previous generations appealing and addictive............
Looking back among a myriad of forgettables, a 72 Bug and an 80 SC seemed to carve a deeper notch for me, so it was a natural progression.

Poorer, is he who would live his time on earth without the romance of owning a,
Porsche ..... "993".
Old 01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread!

I started out, as many here have mentioned, wanting one of these;

But my 2nd favourite was the 911 targa. Fast forward to 2007. F cars beyond my budget- especially parts/maintenance- so I bought an '89 targa;

Loved it, but soon found out why targas are less popular than coupes. Lots of wind noise, although I should have spent $1k on having the top rebuilt by Dan Petchel. The A/C was pretty weak, and I wanted to drive the car every day- but due to hot summers and cold winters, she sat in storage more than I wanted.

So I bought this;

Fantastic car!

Do I still yearn for a Ferrari? Sure. Will I own one someday? Probably. Will I regret it and miss my 993? You know I will!

Cheers,

Paul.

Last edited by Paul K; 01-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stories, but I can't believe there are only 48 people with a story about their attachment to their cars. (Also a shameless bump)
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If we add a subsection of how we found our spouses, we could spice this thread up significantly!!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Even if I left University for more than 12 years ago I still have a very good and close contact to my old lecture / professor. She was once a big star in cooperate business and decided with 40 its enough and get back to her academic career, do business consulting with her husband together and writing business books together.
Usually at least once in the year I stopping by at there place and have a good time with them both together even if it is overseas now. They both became very good friend for me and almost my personal coach for business and personal decisions ;-)
For almost 4 years ago we were sitting in front of the fireplace over a good wine and we were talking about cars as both of them are car nut too. They own Ferrari's, bikes and several Porsche. She always drove a Porsche in here live as she comes too from a wealthy family.
So I was teasing both that a Porsche is just a Beetle on steroids and people who drive them have to compensate something to the outside. The only response which I got back was the question "Have you ever driven one?" Well I had not. Next day we had a tour with there Porsche's and I experienced an old 930 which they are the first owner of. After this day I was hooked and wasn't able to get the Porsche experience out of my head. 5 Month later I bought my first Porsche. 13 moth later I convinced my wife that she need a Porsche too so that we can enjoy it as a hobby together. Now we have 2 and love them.

That's my story / experience.

Jack
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 PM
brabo66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started in 2008 wih a yellow/black 914/4. Really liked the car but you all know what they say about those cars. Poorly built, low hp, unconfortable as a mule but mine was pretty nice (or I thought it was). Then on a dinner table in an expensive restaurant (with a lot of XO's in my bloodstream) a Porsche fan friend of mine started pushing my buttons and the next day we went together to the local dealer, saw this silver/black/black cabrio and fell in love. It was much more expensive of what I ever dreamt I could reasonably spend in a toy car but made an arrangement with the owner who by the way is a high school friend, and took me about 6 months to get it done with the payments. I honestly think I'll never get rid of it, but you never know. I love it, wifey loves it, neighbors love it, mom and dad hate it and kids want to spend the night inside the car.

Great thread and really nice stories here.

Quick Reply: So how did we get here?