Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how did we get here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to say I came to 993's through a lifetime of Porsche worship and intelligent planning.

The truth is it was dumb luck:

1) Knew from cultural osmosis that 911's were the car to get.
2) Bought Leffingwell's book on buying 911's.
3) Tried for a year to like the look of a 996, which was supposed to be "better" than any older 911. Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
4) Thought that going back to a previous generation would be "cheaper." Not so, but boy those cars sure looked purty!
5) Wanted the newest one of that generation I could find. In Black on Red.
6) Found a '98 at Victory. Too stupid to realize I should not do business there. Bought the car.
7) Hindsight: I got soooo lucky. Car turned out to be mechanically and cosmetically great. It was an 'S.' Again, I stumbled into it.
8) More luck: Found you all on RL. This community means a lot to me.
9) Going on four years of ownership, I'm in love with the car as I was the first day I owned it.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:25 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While in unversity I was introduced to Porsche from a friend. He had a well used 914. He took me for a drive (and let me drive) and I fell in love with the handling characteristics of the car. After graduation I purchased the only decent new car I could afford at the time, a 1979 280 ZX.

A couple of years later he purchased a 1977 911. He let me drive that as well. Well, what a difference between the older 914 and the newer 911. At that time I decided I would purchase a 911 at some point in my life.

Fast forward through a wonderful marriage and a couple of wonderful children, the time was right. I had to wait for a significant amount of time but purchased my first 911, two and one half years ago and couldn't be happier.

Once purchased not only I, but both of my children, enjoy driving the car. My son and I have taken the car to Pacific Raceways and shared driving the car.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:50 AM
J-Mac 5001
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a 17 year-old gas jockey and fixed a flat tire at the local Chevron for a fellow student who had access to a 1982 911 SC Targa. Funny enough, he had the hottest car in the school...and a very attractive girlfriend. Anyway - he took me for a spin the next day at lunch and I thought I was going to die as this long haired, dope smoking, freshman with the sweet girlfriend and Vuarnet sunglasses accelerated through all the gears.

I never forgot that day as I travel through life and always dreamed about the 911s, but how would I ever get my hands on one? Then I met neighbours Tim Moffat and Brother Doug with the 3 ponies in the garage and the 50 liter keg in the basement - amongst the Porsche memorabilia. I slowly started to apply pressure to my lovely wife and she agreed I should start a car fund and get one for my 50th in five years. The one day she said, “I love the smile on your face when you’re looking at those cars or out for a run with Tim. You never know what tomorrow may bring, so... why don’t you start looking”... 3 months later, Timothy Moffat (The Friendly Neighborhood Porsche Pusher) found me a car.

It’s funny, I think Michelle likes the car as much as I do...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke
Yes Brazilian, though not a Puma, it had a steel body over flat four 1.7 liters. Of the 2 cars in the country, it was stolen.
So what is it? I've seen it somewhere before...
Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Mine must have dropped down from heaven. It was divinely inspired
Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 AM
ClaylG
Instructor

I always liked the look of Porsches, especially 911s. When I was in my teens I had a 930 Turbo poster on my bedroom wall. Back then it went 0-60 in 5 seconds. Lighting fast back then but average now.

I used to drive by the homes of people who owned 911s just so I could hopefully catch a glimpse of theirs. One time I drove by the home of a family that owned a 930 Turbo and a 928. They were more than happy to let me see their cars up close and even let me sit in them and have my picture taken.

Whenever I passed a 911 on the road I would roll my window down so I could hear the wonderful sound of that engine.

To this day the only cars on the road that get a second look from me are 911s or true exotics. I currently own an '87 3.2 but seriously considering a 993 or 997 sometime in the near future.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:51 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaylG
I currently own an '87 3.2 but seriously considering a 993 or 997 sometime in the near future.
I have owned similar and driven same (3.2L) and must say...993 is an incredible car...as is your 87. The changes made to the 993 transform the car into something different. Better, more refined yet it retains all that made previous generations appealing and addictive. The first time I drove a 993 was on a test drive with the sales guy. Fortunately he was cool becasue we were just going to go a few miles....Instead, I drove 45 minutes and included several ventures above the 100mph mark...even as high as 115!

Either way, these cars are incredible!
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got 'hooked' at Daytona International Speedway during the 1970's watching the annual midnight Paul Revere 250 which was always run the night before the annual Firecracker 400 every July 4th. I just loved watching the 911s perform. Each year it was addictive and I had a feeling I would own one some day. Never making any serious money always kept me on the sidelines until I test drove one in the 90's. That did it! Now it was a matter of when. I started to worry when the air-cooled was discontinued in '98. I did NOT want a water cooled version. To me it was the same as a BMW or something similar, nothing unique. I already have a Z3 and always owned American muscle cars my entire life. Being well into my 50's and now living in an area of non-stop twisties and no traffic gave me the final push to purchase one this past April. Of course the 993 was the choice as I waited this long to get one and went for the King of Porsches. It's been a long journey.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default It all started in College . . .

Like many stories, it was a combination of motor head as a child and setting personal goals in college. I started life as a American Hot Rod fan, was enamored with a Shelby Cobra slot car I had as a kid. In high school, thanks to a job in a Texaco station and the movie Bullitt, wait for it, became a Mopar fan (you thought it would be a Mustang). I think "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry" may have also been an influence on Mopar choice. That love affair was shot lived though.

In college, set my eyes on a 924S as a reward for getting through Engineering College in 4 years. Which evolved into a "most you can afford / latest model mantra" of getting a used 89 944T in 92. As I read an learned more about Porsche, the 993 caught my eye and it was lust at first sight.

It is a keeper, no plan to trade up (as if one could).
Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

I've been a car and motorcycle nut since I was a teenager and have owned at least 75 cars and bikes. I was very heavily into Muscle Cars and Corvettes and have owned some incredibly rare cars like LS6 Chevelles, Big Block Corvettes and my favorite car...the '67 Z-28 Camaro. By 2005 these cars had reached incredible prices with LS6's at about $100K and '67 Z's north of $150K. I owned 4 cars at this time and lost my job unexpectedly, so I sold everything off and lived off some of the proceeds while I was out of work for 18months...

I have always bought cars on their beauty more than their hp and when I first saw a 993 at a local car show in 2005 I fell in love. The car is gorgeous from every angle! I decided that once I was secure in another job, I'd start "playing" with 993's and leave the Muscle Car world behind...and here I am
Old 01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Smoke
Advanced

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
So what is it? I've seen it somewhere before...
It is a VW SP2; designed and built in Brazil in the 70s. I believe the Puma was produced by an independent company, although it used many VW Beetle components it had a fiberglass body and was much lighter.

Here is a Puma GT69

Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like some other Rennlisters, I'm a biker refugee. I started riding at 13, and rode BMW's for many years:

After a near collision with a deer a couple of years, ago, I decided that my life's allocation of luck might be running out, and hung up my helmet.

I decided then to get a 911, which I thought was a focused, but practical, high performance sports car. My short list was 964, 993, 996, and 997, and after poring over Paul Frere's book for a few months, I picked the 993.

I've liked 911s since I was in my teens.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My dad had a Caddy/Pontiac dealership so I spent my childhood fixing up the dead cars on the back lot, selling them and moving up one inch at a time. I owned and drove everything, hot rods, muscle, exotics, you name it. A girlfriend's best friend started dating a guy with a Speedster and the first time I saw him pick her up in front of the high school, I thought I was gonna die. The car was metallic purple, slammed to the ground, Super 90 motor with a center stinger exhaust that shot flames when he let off the gas and from the moment I laid eyes on it, I was lost. We made quick friends at a party one night. He had a janitorial business and worked after business shut down until 2 or 3 a.m. every night, so he started showing up at my house at 3 in the morning, and we'd get in this Speedster in the dead of winter with the top down, beanies, gloves, down jackets and a bottle of Jack, and blast down to San Francisco to watch the hookers work up and down Eddie Street and Broadway. I can still hear the straight pipe stinger exhaust echoing off the walls of the tunnels ..
Since then I've owned 13 Porsches. Five 356's (3 Speedsters), Three 914's (two 6's), Two long-hood 911's, an '87 Cabriolet that I ordered new, a '65 912 and the 993. They are/were all incredible cars and each one is special in it's own right for different reasons. The 993, to me, is the obvious culmination of all of this engineering and has bits and pieces of every porsche I've ever owned or driven all sewed up into one amazing package.
I drove a brand new 996 in 1999 and I could tell from the moment I opened the door that it was a different animal. It's still a Porsche, no mistake, but much of what had been the essence of the 911 lineage had been changed in that car to meet some other goal. That's when I knew I had to own a 993, because for me, it's the end of a line of something that I lust for in a driving experience. It's still pure, gut wrenching, audibly unique and stunningly beautiful like a Speedster and refined for comfort and the senses without compromising the former. Every time I get in that car I'm brought back to those nights in San Francisco, listening to that growling, howling animal echoing off the skyscrapers at 3 a.m. and I smile ...
Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

By some dumb luck and happenstance, I ended up acting on a soap opera for a few years in the late 1970s-early 1980s when I was a teenager. The heartthrob on the soap was an affable guy, and he had a brand new 911SC. He took me for some rides in that thing and I was hooked. My first Porsche was a 1963 356 Roadster, and by some more dumb luck, a girl I happened to start dating in 2004 had a pristine 1996 C4S with only 35K miles that she didn't like so much. Needless to say, I felt obliged to take it off her hands. I made lots of dumb moves with women over the years; buying the C4S from her was one of my few wise ones.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
By some dumb luck and happenstance, I ended up acting on a soap opera for a few years in the late 1970s-early 1980s when I was a teenager. The heartthrob on the soap was an affable guy, and he had a brand new 911SC. He took me for some rides in that thing and I was hooked. My first Porsche was a 1963 356 Roadster, and by some more dumb luck, a girl I happened to start dating in 2004 had a pristine 1996 C4S with only 35K miles that she didn't like so much. Needless to say, I felt obliged to take it off her hands. I made lots of dumb moves with women over the years; buying the C4S from her was one of my few wise ones.
Ha?

Quick Reply: So how did we get here?