Sponsored by:

Which trickle charger do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
So, my question is will the Porsche one work on my BMW if I don't drive IT for 3 months or my 993?
It will if your cigarette lighter is "hot" all the time; that means with the ignition "off" as well.

BTW, letting a battery discharge for months is the surest way to an early death of the battery.

I don't see what is so hard to attaching battery charging leads to a battery.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:03 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

I saw the link to the Suncoast one for $57 for the 993. I want one that is SUPER EASY to use, and has nothing to do with a physical connection to my battery. If I can merely buy a long extension cord, connect it to my A/C jack in my garage, then connect it to this Porsche trickle charger and plug it into my cigarette lighter, close the door, and leave my car for 3 months just sitting there if I feel like it, then hell yes - that's the one for me.

Thanks folks,
Steve
I have been using this. the Porsche branded CTEK: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/95504490054.html

It was a gift from my wife so I did not complaint! It does work like a charm and it keeps my 993 battery fresh. Now there is no way beating around the question if your bimmer has a hot cigarette lighter plug. If it does it will work. If it does not it wont. Then you will need the alligator clips to connect it directly to the battery. Mine came with both options so its a winner. Great buy indeed.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:12 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Battery Tender plus. Hook it up and forget about it.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I'll check my BMW to see if it's hot when the car is off. I'm guessing it is. Just alligator clips on the battery? I guess that's not a big deal in a way...
Old 11-19-2011, 04:21 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Porsche charge-o-mat died after 3 years. I recently replaced it with a Battery Tender Jr. which is a better unit and costs less than half as much. Plus, the BTJ comes with two connection options - alligator clips and a cigarette lighter adapter.

For me, there are two important reasons why the Battery Tender Jr. is better than the Porsche Charge-o-mat. First, the Porsche unit is a 0.5A charger, while the BTJ charges at 0.75A. I just finished charging a fully discharged battery with the BTJ in about 36 hours. The Porsche unit would have taken about a week. Second, the BTJ has a 2-color LED that is always on, letting me know what state of charging is occurring and that it is, in fact, working. The Porsche unit only has a red LED and it is only lit up when charging is occurring, not when it is in maintenance mode. That means that if the unit fails or something is disconnected, you'll never know about it until you try to start your car and find the battery is dead. That's what happened to me, and that's why I wised up and bought the BTJ.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
My Porsche charge-o-mat died after 3 years. I recently replaced it with a Battery Tender Jr. which is a better unit and costs less than half as much. Plus, the BTJ comes with two connection options - alligator clips and a cigarette lighter adapter.

For me, there are two important reasons why the Battery Tender Jr. is better than the Porsche Charge-o-mat. First, the Porsche unit is a 0.5A charger, while the BTJ charges at 0.75A. I just finished charging a fully discharged battery with the BTJ in about 36 hours. The Porsche unit would have taken about a week. Second, the BTJ has a 2-color LED that is always on, letting me know what state of charging is occurring and that it is, in fact, working. The Porsche unit only has a red LED and it is only lit up when charging is occurring, not when it is in maintenance mode. That means that if the unit fails or something is disconnected, you'll never know about it until you try to start your car and find the battery is dead. That's what happened to me, and that's why I wised up and bought the BTJ.

Cool, a gent just emailed my from my BMW forum this. It came at about the same moment as you replied here -

"Hey Steve,

For the last year and half, I’ve been taking the E38 out only about once a week when the weather is nice, maybe every two weeks during the winter. The car did fine, but battery isn’t nearly as strong as it used to be before. I think people said it, but even if the car starts after sitting two weeks, eventually it will cause more stress on the battery and alternator, and it’s not recommended.

This is what I have, the Battery Tender Jr.
Amazon Amazon

It comes with two attachments, one is clamps to clamp on to the battery or under hood terminals. The other can be attached directly to the battery and left there. I leave it plugged in all the time, and the only hassle is you have to remember to unplug it before you drive off! If you’re worried about that, just leave the trunk lid open all the way when parked.

If you store your car outdoor, going under the hood would probably be better."

Quick Reply: Which trickle charger do you prefer?