Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you get the car that high?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warpig
How in the world do you get the car up that high on stands. How do you go from the lowest stand setting to the highest. How high does your jack go?

Nick
Originally Posted by tommyg
Originally Posted by CarmG993
How do you get the car that high?
I have had quite a few folks ask the same question, so I wrote this up awhile ago when I removed my engine. So here goes

I lifted the car in stages. I use a 2 ton floor jack. I think it has a max height about 16".

I start by jacking up the drivers side of the car using the rear drivers side jack point. While the car is up, install front left jack stand and a block of wood (6-8" high) or several blocks of wood under the rear left (drivers side) tire. You will also be able to put some blocking under the passenger side rear tire because it will also be in the air (kind of scary). The blocking is added because once the front of the car is on the jack stand the *** end get too low to get the hydraulic jack under car to the engine seam jacking point. Now the car is on 1 jack stand (drivers side front) with 3 holes showing with blocking under the rear wheels.

Repeat this process for the the passenger side of the car. Now you have both front jack stands installed 3 holes showing. 6-8" of blocking under both rear wheels.

Then I use the engine seam to get the rear of the car on jack stands (2). Three holes showing.

The car is now on 4 stands with 3 holes showing all the way around.

Now the tricky part.

You need to find another structural member close to each of the front jack stands and raise the car using a hydraulic jack just high enough to get the 4th hole exposed on the jack stand. I do not have photo editing software to identify these points but look for a structural member as close to the jack stand as possible.

Finally, to get the rear stands to 4 holes showing, I block under the hydraulic jack (I use stacked 2x6s) and use the engine seam.

***Very Important***
  • Use blocking under the body/frame (I use 2 wheels stacked) before you go under to car to work on it.
  • Be safe. ie. don't do anything stupid with 3000 lbs in the air.
  • Go slow.
  • Be careful.
  • Be kind to your car.
Hope this helps.

Bob-
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 AM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've had a Sears 50244 3 ton aluminum floor jack for a couple of years. The claimed height range is 3 7/8 to 18 1/2. However, I measured the lowest setting at 4 1/4 in with the saddle in place. I've been satisfied with the jack, which I use mostly for seasonal wheel swaps.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Question Bob. Can the rear bumper cover hangers (shown in this pic) be removed without taking the bumper cover off?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan, sorry man. I don't know the answer. I never took them off.

Bob-

Quick Reply: Floor Jack Question