993 Forum 1995-1998

Driving in Snow in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
This video should be watched by all footed garage queens!!

After all, these are just cars and are made to have fun. Im playing in the mountains today---car hasnt been out in a few weeks.
Haha, love the license plate! Garage queens beware
Old 12-19-2009, 01:42 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Micheline Alpin 3s I think (or 4s) on my C2 with a worn LSD. My take is that the Alpins are really to cope with the cold and a bit of slip. If you really want to go in the snow, I would go Hankook ice bears or blizzaks.

Bob
Old 12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Usually we only get snow around here every few years. Then it only last a day & is gone. Last year was the most snow here I have ever seen since moving here from Boston in 1996. Yes, the place shuts down when there is snow.

My car 95 C4 did WONDERFUL in the snow last year, even with summer tires. I drove from Tacoma to Kirkland & back in the storm. Eastside, most of the roads were compacted snow & ice.

Really snow tires are a waste of money here unless you are going to the mountains. You should be able to get by with just M&S tires. My car has AWD & a LSD I'm sure that helps a TON!

Home

Out @ my dyno day in Kirkland.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:35 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Driving in the snow in the 993 with proper tires is not a problem, the problem lies in the other drivers in the PNW with less than optimal equipment or lack of knowledge and judgement that a conflict may result. I've driven in the city with regular tires on an inch of fresh snow but choose to drive the other car in snow conditions.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Haha, love the license plate! Garage queens beware
Its not the "get rich or die trying" but rather make the best of your life and if you dont accomplish everything in life you want, at least DYETRYN!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Its not the "get rich or die trying" but rather make the best of your life and if you dont accomplish everything in life you want, at least DYETRYN!
Couldn't agree with you more!! Good stuff...
Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
If nothing else try to pick up some well used wheels and add some winter tires, which do wonders, even driving in the Seattle area. If you plan on keeping the car for a few years it is a worthwhile investment. Well, not really an investment, but it will make winter driving a pleasure.

I live just north of you on Vancouver Island. Winter tires really help out even when the daytime highs are in the 40-45 degree temps. If it snows they make a huge difference.
Washington State is one of the few places I've lived where studded tires are legal, and of course, they are great but overkill and tear up the roads badly. The beauty of buying an un-modified 993 NB is that most of them come with 17" Cup wheels which can be mounted with Blizzaks or equivalent when the inevitable 18" wheel upgrade happens. Usually within the first month ...
Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Asked a question how the 993 behaves on winter roads. That was a year or two ago. Since then I have participated in an event where we ran through the entire Porsche model range except GT3 and GT2 in winter conditions. Live in a country where winter conditions are a reality for a number of months every year. By law you have to have winter tires between 1 December and 31 March if it is winter conditions. There are very few who take a chance with summer tires. I really do not understand those who say that summer is enough when it gets colder. Tread or tread depth is not only what makes tires work in the cold or in snow and ice conditions. It is the rubber mixture.

Even a four-wheel drive have a problem to get around with the wrong tires. Possible that the car accelerates better but it is virtually impossible to control the car. The braking distance is huge compared to a car equipped with snow tires.

In our country we make a distinction between different types of winter tires. They all have different characteristics. Some are good for winter roads. Others are more suited for high speeds on the Autobahn. Such tires are often mounted on Porsche and other performance cars. Studded tires are not uncommon in here. On black ice, it is the only thing that works.

What kind of tires people choose depends largely on what part of the country they live in. Can seem paradoxical, but often it is more common to choose studded tires in the north. It is increasingly common for people choosing tires without studs in other parts of the country. Where there is often freezing rain. It's those days you wish to put studded tires on the car.

If you want total control of the car in winter conditions. Get studded tires with longer studs. Not unlike the one used in the WRC. On public roads illegally. It was such tires Porsche installed on their cars that were used at the event. Narrow rear tire. The exception was the Cayenne. They had standard studded tires.

It is a cheap life insurance to equip your car with the right type of tire. Actually we should have several different types of tires depending on the circumstances.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Old thread, new pics...

Happy New year everyone!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll refrain from posting my pictures from a couple of weeks ago yet again, but I'm surprised I didn't see this thread when I initially posted about snow tires.

Looking forward to more mountain driving this week, hoping to get a couple of days of skiing in.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures, Paul
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts
Default snow daily driver

with Pirelli 240 snows.....18 inch twists......

Last edited by abiazis; 09-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Driving in Snow in a 993