Sponsored by:

OT: Motorhome (RV)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
AGC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Motorhome (RV)

Does anyone here have one, I am thinking of getting a used one to use on vacations. As a kid I always wanted to travel across the different states in one of them. Now with two kids of my own I was thinking of getting one so we can travel in it.

Any advic, inputs would be greatly appreciated (good/bad)

Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 12:09 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I won't say all the negative things on my mind but I will ask you in advance that if you see a long line of cars behind you, have the courtesy to pull over at the nearest possible point of safely doing so. It avoids many middle finger salutes and horn blowing if you just cruise along in your own little world as way too many RV owners do. You will get waves of thanks instead.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I won't say all the negative things on my mind but I will ask you in advance that if you see a long line of cars behind you, have the courtesy to pull over at the nearest possible point of safely doing so. It avoids many middle finger salutes and horn blowing if you just cruise along in your own little world as way too many RV owners do. You will get waves of thanks instead.
Somebody has spent some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway.....
Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Where are you going in such a hurry?? Never thought you owned the roads. Courtesy goes both ways!!

We did a trip to the keys in one of them and the entire family had a blast. Just remember ''slower traffic, keep right!''.

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Old 12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Where are you going in such a hurry?? Never thought you owned the roads. Courtesy goes both ways!!

We did a trip to the keys in one of them and the entire family had a blast. Just remember ''slower traffic, keep right!''.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I want one that I can put the car in! And also agree on letting people by although it is more minivan drivers than RV's that have their heads up their *****.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:12 PM
shaggy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AGC
Does anyone here have one, I am thinking of getting a used one to use on vacations. As a kid I always wanted to travel across the different states in one of them. Now with two kids of my own I was thinking of getting one so we can travel in it.

Any advic, inputs would be greatly appreciated (good/bad)

Thanks
My brother has one. It is his third. Keeps going bigger each time. He now has a Class A. He is looking to move up again, PM me if you are interested in a Class A RV.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CWay27

No hurry at all, just a major problem with a$$holes doing 25 in a 40 mph zone that refuse to pull over at very convenient opportunities. Any problem with that?
To the poster about the Blue Ridge Pkwy I am happy to report that RV's have not been a problem for many years now if you don't count October which is the peak month. Not sure where they all went but no complaints here. It's been a pleasure!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:32 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

To the OP, I apologize for changing the tone of your thread. It is a sore spot for many. If you get one, enjoy!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

We have been thinking of trying the motor home thing also.

My folks had one when I was in high school and here is what I learned from them.
Bigger is not always better.
The cost is about a push with inexpensive hotels. You save money on food and lodging, but the price of fuel is pretty high.
They can be a lot of work.

I think they would be great for either a family with young kids, or empty nesters. They would also be great at a track, especially with kids. I often see kids at a track bored out of their minds getting all kinds of trouble. With a RV they could watch movies, play games, take naps, eat and be in a more homelike environment. As a kid I had a great time camping with my folks and brothers. We would run around all day, and we learned a great respect and joy for the outdoors. It resulted in all three of us joining the Boy Scouts and had fun and learned tons for many years.

A final lesson from my folks, don't expect a RV to help a marriage on the rocks. Our last trip as a family was in our RV. At the end of the trip my Mom traded the RV on a Corvette, and gave my Dad divorce paperwork.

I too, would love to hear from some folks that are using them with their families currently.

thanks,
--JOe
Old 12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I have one and we use it for about every vacation we can. Taking the family to Disney for two weeks in Jan. I use it at the track as well and tow my race car around with it. Its a great way to slow down and smell the roses so to speak.

As for the guy that thinks everybody is in his way, just chill out. Life doesent revolve around you. Pull over and get a big gulp and some nitio before you end up having an MI.

My RV cruses the highway at around a nice 65 to 70. No problem keeping up with traffic. Not sure what your price range is but there are plenty to choose from right now. If it were me, Id get something with a Diesel just because it just pulls so nice and gets pretty good fuel economy for such a large pull.

I have an enclosed trailer for the race car and pull a Jeep for the rest of our trips. We have two girls 9 and 6 and they love going on trips.

Good luck on your search.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Drool central.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ That looks very similar to my brother-in-laws 41' Holiday Rambler w/ 400hp diesel. it's their 2nd. motor home. It was parked in our driveway over thanksgiving.

As for
As for the guy that thinks everybody is in his way, just chill out. Life doesent revolve around you. Pull over and get a big gulp and some nitio before you end up having an MI.
you're taking his comments rather far, does life revolve around the motorhome driver? I don't think it's too much to ask when you have a line of cars behind you to pull over when there's a reasonable spot to do so.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW

As for you're taking his comments rather far, does life revolve around the motorhome driver? I don't think it's too much to ask when you have a line of cars behind you to pull over when there's a reasonable spot to do so.
I agree, but the point is that assumptions are being made. The OP asked a very simple question about RV's, whereupon the first response, an uncalled for shot across the bow, IMO, made baseless, sweeping generalizations. If the OP is a tool who hangs out in the left lane, sure, give him hell, but it is unlikely that anyone here knows that as fact.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Finally a topic I can have some expertese. The bottom line is the commitment. If you really like RVing and you plan to use it long term then dont waste your money and move into best your budget will allow. I have purchased 5 in the last 8 years and have made every mistake in the book. I now have a 42' pusher I could live in but dont. We go to Mammoth to ski in the winter and Havasu in the summer and my kids absolutely love it. I fly incessantly so I love to get behind the wheel and drive with everyone in tow. I has brought my family very close and I love the fact that my kids have a great time with mom and dad. Enough gushing--just be realistic about your use and buy accordingly. It has never been better to buy a coach--new or used. Some of the extras most dont think about is cost for storage and washing the damn thing. You'll find your oil change (15qts.) actually cost less than the oil change in my 993 and Cayanne--$235 at the CAT dealer no less! PM me if you need more. I have 3 gas and 2 DP.

Quick Reply: OT: Motorhome (RV)