Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what a white wire with green stripe means?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
benz
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone know what a white wire with green stripe means?

So in the process of completely gutting my 993, I used a sawzall to remove an old cage of poor design in prep for a new cage. Needless to say, when I made the last cut and attempted to lift out a heavy section, I dropped it on the main wiring harness trunk going down the drivers side of the car. It ripped the outer cloth sheathing and crimped most of the wires. Only one has damage that I can tell. It is white with green stripe.

I downloaded the factory 993 manual in .pdf format, but it is impossible to read the wiring diagram sections on pages 1144 through 1198 due to poor scan resolution.

Anyone know what this wire is and what it goes to?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS - Tonight, I rip out the entire headliner and take out all the guts of the sunroof assembly - it's all that's left of the interior at this point except the wiring harness
Old 12-10-2009, 03:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm pretty sure there are 2 white & green wires... White with dark green stripe is throttle position sensor and I'm not sure about white and light green. I don't have the schematic in front of me.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Ok, just checked the schematics. I'm not sure there's a white/light green after all (somebody told me there was). At any rate, the white/green is definitely throttle position sensor. Yeah, you'll need that!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

p.s. just so you know how to read the schematic.... for the wire labeled "WT/GN" it runs to the ECU where it shows a confusing label of TVS whatever that means. Next to it, there's a number 53. Look in the diagnostics section where it shows the OBD2 connector. Point 53 is identified as throttle position sensor.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:22 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it is the one that MacGyver is supposed to cut to keep the bomb from exploding!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought is was the one you shouldn't cut..........
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

In nature i think it means danger. That could be yellow with a white stripe though.

Berni
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see pics! How sad is it to see a gutted 993?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Warpig
Pro

You can verify with a piece of wire, and an ohm meter. If the copper is exposed in the white/green where it is damaged and you think it's the throttle position sensor wire you can do two things to verify. disconnect the throttle position sensor in the engine compartment and ohm that wire (if it's green/white) to the damaged area of the wire. The extra piece of wire comes into play if your meter leads are not long enough to reach both places. just attach with a aligator clip or by some other method and use the wire to get closer to your meter so you can reach the end of that wire. If the whole loop shows a short on the meter that is it. You could use the same method to verify to the ECU harness. Unplug the connector and ohm it out with the meter. If needed use the wire extension method again. Just make sure you disconnect the sensor on the one end and the ECU on the other. If they contain low resistance components (the throttle position sensor) they could throw off your readings.

Nick
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey Nick! I wanna go for a ride in the GTS if I ever get down there!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Re: Colors in Nature: It's the rhyme about Coral snake stripes (and the one that looks like a Coral snake but isn't poisonous):
Red on Yellow: Kills a fellow
Red on Black - I'll be back

When we lived in S. Florida, one evening a real Coral snake slithered up on our front steps. It was Red next to Yellow. We just let it alone.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 AM
benz
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick feedback TheOtherEric. I agree, I'll probably need that.

Denise 993, I'll get to some pics soon - it does indeed look sad because of how much frick'n adhesive they use to put in the sound deadening stuff and carpeting. I haven't yet addressed the aesthetics, still just taking stuff out. Found two "boxes" under the passenger seat and determined one is the cruise control module and the other is the alarm control box - they'll be coming out too.

Thanks for the troubleshoot help Warpig.

Cactus, you're welcome anytime - did I mention it's a 6 speed manual GTS?

I'll try to post a more elaborate thread of all the stuff done with pics of course.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what a white wire with green stripe means?