Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist logic request: keep modding or sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist logic request: keep modding or sell my car?

Since plenty of you guys have already been there, help me figure this out:

I love my 1995 C4. I've had it 2 years and it's been a blast.
I love:
1) Color (midnight blue)
2) It's a 1995 so no emissions needed.
3) It's a 95 without the basket handle
4) In the past two years, I've sorted out all the little maintenance things that annoyed me (hood struts, extra key, etc).
5) My suspension mods: KW V3, RS rear wishbones, Walrod bushings, BBS RSGTs.

I'm thinking about putting in a rollbar, RS carpet, and maybe dropping out the AWD and front drive shaft.

That last line got me to make this thread.

At this point, do I move forward with the car I love? If I knew that I would never sell it, I'd do all of the above

or

Sell the car to someone who would prefer a nice C4, and find a C2 I wouldn't mind tearing out the interior and drilling holes.

The obvious lazy answer is do nothing and enjoy the car as is but I would appreciate some thoughts.
Attached Images   
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would vote for keeping it and moving forward. You have already gotten it sorted, and I think that is worth a bit, unless the sorting process is where you get your enjoyment. It is a tough call.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With your current P-car you know what you have, good and bad. That is a major factor! You can buy someone elses potential problems or work on something you have a history with. You have time, money, and experiences invested in your car. Somethings can be bought but established history and knowing the ins and outs of your car are a huge plus! I would keep building on the foundation you have.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

I had the same dilemma. If you had a stock PCar I would trade up. Since you have put some sweat equity into the current Pcar, selling in this market is a loosing money proposition IMHO. So just keep moding it and keep it for a loooong time.

NB I love the color and great taste in wheels
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like you have a well sorted car that you know how's been maintained for the last two years. It really depends on how you feel about the car and the process of modifying. Personally my car will never leave my ownership until either I or it dies. So the choice to keep modifying is clear to me, I drilled holes for sub strap mounts into a 10k mile C4S

Switching to RWD isn't that difficult, and there are plenty of people here on the board that can help out if you choose to go that route (FD Motorsports). It's a slippery slope pull out the AWD and you'll want the FDM transmission mount, an LWF, the SSK, and golden rod... lots of fun to be had

Reality is either choice (keeping the current 993 or getting a C2) you'll come out a winner. Weigh how much you could get for your car against how much to get into a C2 with the added stuff that you'll want to do right away to at least bring it up to the level of your current car.

Best of luck
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A coupla thoughts:

1) Why a rollbar? Why not just a harness bar? If someone can identify a single person who's been injured in the history of DE's because of the lack of a rollbar, I'd like to hear about it. As far as I know, it's never happened, and for a good reason -- the 911 roof is extremely, extremely strong, and 911's very rarely flip. I've got a harness bar.

2) Why RS carpeting? If you keep the sound deadening, you're looking at a weight savings of a few pounds, which is nothing. You're better off doing stuff like a fiberglass hood, light battery, RS heater tube, etc, before ripping out the carpeting -- and all of that is reversible. Plus, even if you do want to reduce weight, the savings from those mods are the same, and they don't affect your comfort level.

I say keep the car, unless you really want to upgrade to a 997 or something like that. If you want to stay with a 993, selling your car seems to me like a big hassle for a small, or even no, gain. There's much less labor involved in removing the AWD than there is in selling the car, finding a new one, and starting the upgrades from scratch. My $.02.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:35 PM
icelatte
Racer

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the "keep it"s are ahead.
LWF flywheel is already in and the "sorting" process is getting a bit overated as my free time has been halved since my kid count has doubled (2).

I probably suffer from the "my 993 is too nice to..." syndrome which I observe a bit here when the value to me is how nice I develop it.

Chak
Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Keep it. Thinkk about the costs involved to get another car to the level you're already at. Nice car BTW.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah
A coupla thoughts:

1) Why a rollbar? Why not just a harness bar? If someone can identify a single person who's been injured in the history of DE's because of the lack of a rollbar, I'd like to hear about it. As far as I know, it's never happened, and for a good reason -- the 911 roof is extremely, extremely strong, and 911's very rarely flip. I've got a harness bar.

2) Why RS carpeting? If you keep the sound deadening, you're looking at a weight savings of a few pounds, which is nothing. You're better off doing stuff like a fiberglass hood, light battery, RS heater tube, etc, before ripping out the carpeting -- and all of that is reversible. Plus, even if you do want to reduce weight, the savings from those mods are the same, and they don't affect your comfort level.

I say keep the car, unless you really want to upgrade to a 997 or something like that. If you want to stay with a 993, selling your car seems to me like a big hassle for a small, or even no, gain. There's much less labor involved in removing the AWD than there is in selling the car, finding a new one, and starting the upgrades from scratch. My $.02.
All above are things I've considered. The roll bar should add some chassis stiffness as well, am I wrong? I was going to put in RS carpet to delete the rear seats and the rear shelf as I don't use those speakers anyway but I've also considered the heater blower delete and the Odyssey 925 sitting in my garage.

Once again, thx for the sounding board.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:49 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WHEW..... I was about to yell :

"QUICK !.... Someone CLOSE THIS THREAD before others start falling away from the slope !"

But I am glad the "emergency call" has been averted !

on a more serious note.... I know the feeling.... it pains me to mod a nice 993... so it might be easier on my conscious to buy a different condition 993...where I could do whatever I wanted to it.

ps: Gappy (tjangi)....where are my wheels??
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I agree with keeping it and moving forward. Unless you have a car that you want and are already familiar with ot really trust the owner. Does your car have exceptionally high or low miles? That might factor into the decision.

It is a quite attractive machine, BTW.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Leave it alone and just enjoy the thing...
You already have some nice mods in there!
Perhaps you might try looks dept, next? (i.e. RS or GT2 mods...)
Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep it and continue to make it your own (unless you are ultimately after a full blown track car). The AWDectomy as we like to call it, term coined by cgfen, is not that hard to do as long as you are patient, have a big enough breaker bar/torque wrench and work through some of the surprises that can come up (like disconnecting the steering column when dropping the front subframe and then finding out the car does not have the "key hole" like it's supposed to per the 993 manual to re-align things and reconnect...ask cgfen and I how we know.) It's not that expensive when you consider what you are doing to the car...even if you upgrade to the FDM shifter parts I think the whole C2 conversion is around $800 in parts. I think this is close to the cost of a new viscous coupling alone! The boys at FDM can get you all the details on parts needed.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by icelatte
Since plenty of you guys have already been there, help me figure this out:

I

I'm thinking about putting in a rollbar, RS carpet, and maybe dropping out the AWD and front drive shaft.

s.
keep it
it's a ~ 7 hour job and ~ $700 in parts to remove the front drive bits, look for a recent post by nolie.
(it'll take longer than 7 hours to put it back in though...........)
Originally Posted by Noah
A coupla thoughts:

i use a harness bar / good seats / 6 point harnesses for AX / DE
i also have a DAS bolt in bar, but it's just sitting in the garage and will likely not be installed.
wanna buy it?

$650 + shipping

have fun

craig
Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 AM
icelatte
Racer

OK. I get it now. Keep car. Spend mo money.

So the question comes up: My wife sets no budget regarding safety
equipment, so is a rollbar really just marginal improvement for DEs?
I drive to and back from any track, don't bring extra wheels, and drive on track
trying to remember the two previous points.

Quick Reply: Rennlist logic request: keep modding or sell my car?