Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennlist logic request: keep modding or sell my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
A coupla thoughts:

1) Why a rollbar? Why not just a harness bar? If someone can identify a single person who's been injured in the history of DE's because of the lack of a rollbar, I'd like to hear about it. As far as I know, it's never happened, and for a good reason -- the 911 roof is extremely, extremely strong, and 911's very rarely flip. I've got a harness bar.
It's not about the roof, it's about the attachment of the shoulder harness. I can't say I'm terribly familiar with non-bar/cage competition belt installations; but looking at a Brey-Krause mount at over $600 alone brings you in line with a rollbar anyway. Using merely a harness bar with the shoulder harnesses attached to the rear seat anchors, please check with an equipment vendor such as Joe at HMS and see how you're advised by a pro.

As far as the AWD, unless you're driving the car at the absolute limit in a competitive, timed event where that single factor is somehow holding you back.........what's the big deal?
Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for hijacking:

Alf
ps: Gappy (tjangi)....where are my wheels??
Fedex picked them up on Dec 7 are now on their way to sunny California... PM sent

Now back to "icelatte"...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:47 AM
icelatte
Racer

Don't you guys sleep? My excuse is I'm typing from my call room.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:52 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Nah, sleep is overrated...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your killing me Chak! That is the only car I've ever owned that I regret selling on a weekly basis. It looks fantastic and you've done it (and used it) right. If you sell it there is a home waiting in Columbus.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
icelatte
Racer

Hi Andy!

Wondering if you were still checking and notice this thread. Hope I've done the car justice.
I'll send you a pm.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by icelatte
... My wife sets no budget regarding safety
equipment, so is a rollbar really just marginal improvement for DEs?...
Well, a rollbar isn't *any* improvement per se, it's added safety. But IMHO it's absolutely a good idea for the roof stiffness but as much so for the harness attachments. I hope you're not attaching your harnesses to the guide bar; you simply cannot do that, period, except for auto-x. So you should be running your harnesses down to the rear seat belt mounting, which means your harnesses are really long, which means they'll stretch a lot more in case of an incident. You really want to keep the harness runs short, which you can do very well with a rollbar. Check the schroth competition guide for more info.

I hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icelatte
Hi Andy!

Wondering if you were still checking and notice this thread. Hope I've done the car justice.
I'll send you a pm.
Yes, still addicted to Rennlist. Just temporarily without wheels due to a silly house and tuition bills. I think you've done the car well. PM responded to.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

You've made some very nice changes to a great car, keep it and make it into what you want.

the first thing I did was ditch the rinky dink BK harness bar and install a proper rollbar. As noted it's as much for harness attachment as anything. Do be aware of the fact that you need a clear fetch from your shoulder through the seat holes to the bar, it depends on your torso and the seat and bar geometry to work out ok.

The RS rear carpet may not save a huge amount of weight but it sure does look nice. That's my winter project.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been lots of discussion about the pros and cons of AWD on the track, and I don't want to start the thread again here. However, I'd suggest you consider retaining that feature, or at least review the discussions.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

I would love to drive identical 993's...C2 and C4 back to back just to see how different the 4 feels. What do you use the car for most? Track or street? Car looks great BTW and most of the good stuff is done. RS wing is at least 5-7 pounds lighter than stock and you don't have the annoying up and down anymore.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
There has been lots of discussion about the pros and cons of AWD on the track, and I don't want to start the thread again here. However, I'd suggest you consider retaining that feature, or at least review the discussions.
Easy...just disconnect the spline coupling thingy...you still have about 80lbs extra weight but can determine if the AWD suits your driving style.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know I'm in the minority when I really don't see much difference on dry pavement. RSA #2 and C4S are about as identical as can be, and on equal tires they're basically the same lap times wherever. Yellow car is a whole different story, as it's so out there.

Bottom line is that you'd rarely, if ever, see a RWD and an AWD set up identical. Sure, you might run into another guy who has a street car with a PSS something/basically the same alignment specs/similar tires. That's not really going to tell you much as if you're truly developing a car each platform has a minor characteristic you're going to play to.

(If you're talking street, it's irrelevant as you'll never get close enough to the edge for it to matter. I will say that if you ARE going idiot speeds on the street, the AWD will give you more of a margin for error when you can't instantly read the pavement or you're surprised by less-than-optimal traction.)
Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 AM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by David 23
I seen those threads and wouldn't want to step in that ring with a 10 foot pole and body armor. All I will say is that having tracked this car and my previous Subaru in the wet, one is definitely more confidence inspiring in suboptimal traction conditions.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 AM
icelatte
Racer

Originally Posted by Cactus
I would love to drive identical 993's...C2 and C4 back to back just to see how different the 4 feels. What do you use the car for most? Track or street? Car looks great BTW and most of the good stuff is done. RS wing is at least 5-7 pounds lighter than stock and you don't have the annoying up and down anymore.
Thanks for the compliments. I actually like the clean lines of the stock spoiler. I think the only one I'd change to would be a ducktail.

Quick Reply: Rennlist logic request: keep modding or sell my car?