Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 turbo on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I totally understand someone buying a car like this and selling it 7 months later. Why is that a concern? I had an M5 once and decided after 4 months I didn't like it anymore so I sold it. It didn't have 1 issue with it at all, I just didn't want it anymore and chose an automatic daily driver instead.

As to the clutch, the explanation regarding that sounds completely believeable as well. We get so jaded here about the slightest problem or imperfection and our BS detectors may be set too high sometimes.

I wish I had $60k sitting around. I'd love to own this car (a 993TT) .... if...it was Polar Silver... and had a sunroof.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Was this car originally delivered in San Diego?
Never got far enough to do the paper trail. I opted out based on color.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Hello?! This is a flippin' Turbo supercar with a big *** spoiler on it! The shyness ship sailed 100+ HP ago! SY and all the other candy colors are 100% appropriate. However, this example wasn't photographed well. It looks way more "pastel" than it should, which would have a bit more red in it and more saturated.

Behold these, then decide:
Sorry-no offense to anyone who feels differently-color is personal choice. Drive what you enjoy. I plan to keep my car for a long time and went with what I think will stand the test of time. Silver would have been my second choice. Plus-I would rather go stealth to avoid as much attention as possible around town. If I were to get a turbo I would go the same route.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
YellowHammer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Where the minds go...

Hello all,

I'm the owner of the turbo that you're talking about. Here's the "Story"... It's been a car that I've wanted for a long time. I think it's the best body they ever came out with. Was told about the car from a sales rep / friend at the local Porsche dealer here in Portland. Went down and took a look at it and after going over the history of the car my wife bought it for me as a daily driver.

After parking it in the garage I noticed a pin size oil drop on the floor of the garage so I called the dealer back and told them about it. Before buying the car was assured that there were no leaks. I hate leaks! Wouldn't of bought it if I knew it leaked.

To make a short story shorter they ended up doing all the gaskets and seals on the motor for me at no charge. An 8K gift. It didn't need all of them done but if you do one you should do all of them. And as you know the motor has to be dropped to do the work. Being that the motor was all ready out I thought it might be a pretty good idea to go ahead and replace the clutch. The clutch didn't need replacing. I choose to do some preventative maintenance and I wasn't charged for the labor so I thought why not... I'm sure you would of done the same thing.

As for selling the car. I'm just not a porsche person. I thought I would drive it but I really don't. Plus, I just bought something else and I need the spot in the garage. If I had another place to store it I might keep it but again I just don't drive the car.

If you have any more questions please pm me and I would be happy to discuss.

Happy Holidays

Ralph

Last edited by YellowHammer; 12-10-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Now it sounds like even more of a good deal! Thanks for posting that information as your first post. Someone's going to get a sweet car here.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^ Wow, the power of the internet. Thanks Al Gore!

Thanks for coming on Ralph, and telling us more about your car. This should prove very helpful to potential buyers. Sounds like a great car.

All I can say is, the World needs more wives to buy their husbands 993TT as daily drivers! You got yourself a keeper. Me too, my wife bought me mine, in a way.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowHammer
Hello all,

I'm the owner of the turbo that you're talking about. Here's the "Story"... It's been a car that I've wanted for a long time. I think it's the best body they ever came out with. Was told about the car from a sales rep / friend at the local Porsche dealer here in Portland. Went down and took a look at it and after going over the history of the car my wife bought it for me as a daily driver.

After parking it in the garage I noticed a pin size oil drop on the floor of the garage so I called the dealer back and told them about it. Before buying the car was assured that there were no leaks. I hate leaks! Wouldn't of bought it if I knew it leaked.

To make a short story shorter they ended up doing all the gaskets and seals on the motor for me at no charge. An 8K gift. It didn't need all of them done but if you do one you should do all of them. And as you know the motor has to be dropped to do the work. Being that the motor was all ready out I thought it might be a pretty good idea to go ahead and replace the clutch. The clutch didn't need replacing. I choose to do some preventative maintenance and I wasn't charged for the labor so I thought why not... I'm sure you would of done the same thing.

As for selling the car. I'm just not a porsche person. I thought I would drive it but I really don't. Plus, I just bought something else and I need the spot in the garage. If I had another place to store it I might keep it but again I just don't drive the car.

Happy Holidays

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I've got a bit of a personal interest, as you might have noticed above in my asking if the car was delivered to the original owner in San Diego. I bring it up because of the mention it was bought from an "old guy, original owner".

So here's the 15 year old mystery:

Back in the fall of '95 with an old girlfriend, we're filling up in Baker, CA on the way to Las Vegas. Rolling up behind us is an old guy (even by '95 standards!) in a brand new, Speed Yellow, sunroof delete turbo. Just took delivery and this was the maiden voyage. First one I'd seen in person. I ALWAYS wondered what happened to the car (color/sunroof delete), and the owner for that matter, since he seemed so pleased to get this car........like it was the fulfillment of a dream. I got the impression he had owned several Porsches before, though. 993's were a bit out of my league at that point in my life, but I knew I'd move up once they depreciated a bit.

Wish I could seriously talk to you about the car, but as you can see from my sig I've got plenty of hardware sitting around!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Hi Ralph,

I've got a bit of a personal interest, as you might have noticed above in my asking if the car was delivered to the original owner in San Diego. I bring it up because of the mention it was bought from an "old guy, original owner".

So here's the 15 year old mystery:

Back in the fall of '95 with an old girlfriend, we're filling up in Baker, CA on the way to Las Vegas. Rolling up behind us is an old guy (even by '95 standards!) in a brand new, Speed Yellow, sunroof delete turbo. Just took delivery and this was the maiden voyage. First one I'd seen in person. I ALWAYS wondered what happened to the car (color/sunroof delete), and the owner for that matter, since he seemed so pleased to get this car........like it was the fulfillment of a dream. I got the impression he had owned several Porsches before, though. 993's were a bit out of my league at that point in my life, but I knew I'd move up once they depreciated a bit.

Wish I could seriously talk to you about the car, but as you can see from my sig I've got plenty of hardware sitting around!

That is cool if it's the same car!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Not to pick on Nick, but I think all of us RennListers turn our health skepticism into near-paranoia on cars that aren't selling right away. We make a lot of assumptions, and often beat up a car that doesn't deserve it. And perhaps this one does deserve it; we just don't know yet.

Because we don't know the facts, and until someone gets a PPI, there is no "story".

I think it hurts any of as potential sellers to imagine a story out of conjecture.

Matt
Many a decent deal has been missed because RL "experts" have jumped on the bandwagon with their assumptions about something that is not crystal clear from the onset. I don't think it hurts the seller as much as it does inexperienced buyers seeking input from the "experts" only to have the car in question sold from under them.

Hello all,

Happy Holidays

Ralph
Ralph, given that you're "not a Porsche person" I'm not quite sure if you know this but you have a very special car. The sunroof delete and speed yellow may not appeal to the average buyer but it will be a HUGE plus for the right Porschephile. I think your price is extremely fair and would suggest you hang on to it until the spring if you don't have serious takers at your asking. This is not the best time of the year to be selling such a car. Best of luck with the sale.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Happy Holidays

Ralph
It all makes perfect sense now air cooled Porsche 911, surely is not the best car for you if you hate oil leaks with all 900+ miles of oil lines that run throughout the car There is probably more pink elephants than 911's that don't get a little drip here or there. I'm obviously no expert but when I was looking for my 911 a saw more that leaked than didn't.

Good luck with your sale, it's a beautiful car, and my favorite color.

Nick
Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

I'm just not a Porsche person.
We gotta talk...there is help available.

I hope you're not going to tell me you prefer a Vette or other American muscle car.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 AM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

I'm the owner of the turbo that you're talking about. Here's the "Story"...
Ralph
Ralph,

You seem to have a fantastic vehicle. If I did not have one of my current p-cars, I would be all over this car.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Hello?! This is a flippin' Turbo supercar with a big *** spoiler on it! The shyness ship sailed 100+ HP ago! SY and all the other candy colors are 100% appropriate. However, this example wasn't photographed well. It looks way more "pastel" than it should, which would have a bit more red in it and more saturated.

Behold these, then decide:
Chuck, did you take that photo of my 993RS?

Quick Reply: 1996 turbo on craigslist