Sponsored by:

1996 turbo on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Sorry guys-for me the car looks good in that color as long as someone else owns it. I could not do that color at all.
Thats the way I feel about black which I wouldn't want on any car, not even an econo-box daily driver. Actually that would apply to any dark color. Shows everything even if the paint is in great condition. My BMW coupe was Boston Green...never again a dark color!

Silver is a traditional German car color, but very conservative which is why it was my first pick. Then I saw one that is Speed Yellow. Porsche's Seal Grey looks great with the right interior.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Warpig
Hate to say it but it kinda sounds like things are adding up to a story. First, any car that the seller straight out says "NO STORY" has a story. After all the guy buys it in 4/09 and drives it for 7+ months and wants to dump it. There is a story in that alone.
Exactly!

Thats it, I'm only offering $30K.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Sorry guys-for me the car looks good in that color as long as someone else owns it. I could not do that color at all. Maybe that's why it's sitting?
Hello?! This is a flippin' Turbo supercar with a big *** spoiler on it! The shyness ship sailed 100+ HP ago! SY and all the other candy colors are 100% appropriate. However, this example wasn't photographed well. It looks way more "pastel" than it should, which would have a bit more red in it and more saturated.

Behold these, then decide:

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it needs a clutch at 29,000 miles I would also suspect 1st gear to be noisy.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude
However, this example wasn't photographed well. It looks way more "pastel" than it should.
I've noticed that when taking pics of my car. I'll have to play with the camera settings.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Warpig
... and if I had 60K lying around it'd be in mine. After all the proper due diligence.

Hate to say it but it kinda sounds like things are adding up to a story. First, any car that the seller straight out says "NO STORY" has a story. After all the guy buys it in 4/09 and drives it for 7+ months and wants to dump it. There is a story in that alone. It looks very yummy, but proceed with caution.

Nick
Not to pick on Nick, but I think all of us RennListers turn our health skepticism into near-paranoia on cars that aren't selling right away. We make a lot of assumptions, and often beat up a car that doesn't deserve it. And perhaps this one does deserve it; we just don't know yet.

Because we don't know the facts, and until someone gets a PPI, there is no "story".

I think it hurts any of as potential sellers to imagine a story out of conjecture.

Matt
Old 12-09-2009, 09:22 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smiles
Because we don't know the facts, and until someone gets a PPI, there is no "story".
Maybe it would have been a good idea to explain in the ad why it needed a clutch so soon.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:46 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi, first post here. I've been lurking and educating myself for about four month now so I thought I'd pony up. Great site that already has saved me some time and money. Plus a great bunch of folks.

I talked with the seller several weeks back about the car. He told me when he bought it from the dealer, who he knows, he said it was leak free and guaranteed it. But it did have oil leaks so the dealer took it back and fixed them so he had a clutch put in at the same time knowing that's a weak spot on these cars. He said he has the repair order and it ran around $3k or so if I remember right, He also said that the original owner was an older person and had all the maintenance records that the guy went overboard on. The seller seemed like a straight guy over the phone but wadda I know?

He sent me a bunch of photos and the car looks very straight and in excellent shape. I can forward them to anybody that wants them. I got a good feel about the car but wrestled with the color for quite awhile before deciding I didn't want that bright color. Although I think it looks hot, it just stands out too much for me. I'd rather be more stealthy than that and this site is certainly helping me narrow down what that means to me.

So if any of you go for it, let me know what you're selling. It's great to join the ranks of the Rennlisters.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
Hi, first post here.
GREAT first post. Thanks and welcome. It's a buyers market.... jump in!!

Originally Posted by dcdude
this example wasn't photographed well.
The right photographer could make my wife look like a beauty queen .
Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Rare? Maybe. But, I like having a sunroof in mine.
me too....
Old 12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen that car many times driving through downtown. It is one of the Fandango owners/reps and before that I saw a Gallardo parked in the same spot and before the gallardo a F355.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 273 Posts

Guess I follow the "I like seeing SY, just don't want to own SY" crowd... I like unusual colors, but I've never wanted a yellow car (Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2, perhaps..). Love the sunroof delete because I never seem to use them & I also just seem to get a good vibe from this car.

Good luck to whoever buys it, I'm sure they'll do well.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
Not to pick on Nick, but I think all of us RennListers turn our health skepticism into near-paranoia on cars that aren't selling right away. We make a lot of assumptions, and often beat up a car that doesn't deserve it. And perhaps this one does deserve it; we just don't know yet.

I think it hurts any of as potential sellers to imagine a story out of conjecture.

Matt
I didn't take it as you were picking on me at all. I think the car is beautiful. I love Speed Yellow, I would have picked it over my Polar Silver. I'm just too poor to pay an extra 20K for some boost. Wish that wasn't the case, but for now it is. It's unfortunate that even with a complete PPI you still don't have all the facts. A better picture yes. Someone mentioned that the clutch was done as a "while you're in there" item while fixing oil leaks. Be that as it may, my concern was more along the lines of Who buys a car like this and drives it for a few months, and (if the other info surfaced about the car is true) dumps even more money into it and then decides to get rid of it without even owning it a year. To many this just doesn't make sense. Is it explainable? Sure it could be. I had a very wealthy friend that was into exotic cars that would buy and sell one or two of his cars every few months and buy something else. So yes it could be innocent and perfectly explainable. But I've heard two things... The clutch and the length of ownership, both would need an explanation to many. And in my eyes explanation = Story = Be very careful. That's all I'm saying. When something smells bad, you try to find out why.

Nick
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

I too thought that I would never consider a yellow car, but after seeing SY on person, it is a very nice color and suits the lines of the car. I'd pay $50K for the car if it had a clean PPI...I'd pay more for a color that I liked better
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
Hi, first post here. I've been lurking and educating myself for about four month now so I thought I'd pony up. Great site that already has saved me some time and money. Plus a great bunch of folks.

I talked with the seller several weeks back about the car. He told me when he bought it from the dealer, who he knows, he said it was leak free and guaranteed it. But it did have oil leaks so the dealer took it back and fixed them so he had a clutch put in at the same time knowing that's a weak spot on these cars. He said he has the repair order and it ran around $3k or so if I remember right, He also said that the original owner was an older person and had all the maintenance records that the guy went overboard on. The seller seemed like a straight guy over the phone but wadda I know?

He sent me a bunch of photos and the car looks very straight and in excellent shape. I can forward them to anybody that wants them. I got a good feel about the car but wrestled with the color for quite awhile before deciding I didn't want that bright color. Although I think it looks hot, it just stands out too much for me. I'd rather be more stealthy than that and this site is certainly helping me narrow down what that means to me.

So if any of you go for it, let me know what you're selling. It's great to join the ranks of the Rennlisters.
Was this car originally delivered in San Diego?

Quick Reply: 1996 turbo on craigslist