Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase advice on a sudden wealth of 993's

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I would go the blue one with the new motor -- BUT only after checking out the reputation of the man who built it and a full PPI to make sure he's not selling because of some issue with the rebuild. If it all checks out, you've saved $10k over the other cars and got a sweet color, too (although I hate gray interiors...).
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
I would go the blue one with the new motor -- BUT only after checking out the reputation of the man who built it and a full PPI to make sure he's not selling because of some issue with the rebuild. If it all checks out, you've saved $10k over the other cars and got a sweet color, too (although I hate gray interiors...).
+1 on the Blue cab. I'd probably take it to Rob at S-Car-Go in San Rafael (35 miles south of Sonoma) http://www.scargoracing.com/ for a PPI and ask him for a recommendation on where down there you could get the body inspected for accident damage and paint work quality at the same time.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinadvl
Teuton, welcome to the forum ? Sounds like you are getting good advice here....
Thanks! I agree; I'm glad I asked!

1. ...Have you driven a 993 / or Porsche 911 for that matter before?...
Yes, I've driven a few 911's during my search and even had a brief "love affair" with a '67 911 back when I was 17 (long story). I was given the opportunity to drive a 993 coupe for an afternoon last year, and that sealed it for me. I had been looking for an 1987-89 cab before that, but that afternoon in the 993 changed my mind. Besides, I think the 993 is absolutely the best 911 body Porsche ever designed. And the engine and suspension are pretty cool too! However, that is the only 993 I've driven. Maybe my brain did go on a "party vacation" that day, but is that bad?

...... you may rush to buy it without looking at another car for comparison...
What do you mean by "another car" - some other make or just another 993?

2. spend time looking over the car... lights, indicators, oil consistency, top, rear window, under the front bumper, pull the carpeted floor mats (looking for leak residue) -
Thanks for all the advice, I will do all of the above.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by inkatouring
Thanks for your input.
I do wish it was a tan (champagne?) interior. That's my #1 favorite combo.

I think I'll post photos of each (if I'm allowed), just to see if that changes any opinions.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Originally Posted by JPP
+1 on the Blue cab. I'd probably take it to Rob at S-Car-Go in San Rafael (35 miles south of Sonoma)...
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll keep that in my back pocket.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Teuton993
Instructor

Default Photos!

Okay, here are photos of all three:

1) Triple Black '95 Cab:
Name:  Black_95_Cab.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  52.7 KB

2) Red '95 Cab:
Name:  Red_95_Cab.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  35.0 KB

3) Midnight Blue '96 Cab:
Name:  Blue_96_Cab.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  37.5 KB

I know this is just the outside, but does this help?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Default LATEST

UPDATE:
Did I mention that the red 993 is down to $22k? I'm having it inspected (PPI) tomorrow at a independent Porsche shop in the same area as the dealer. I got this shop's name right out of rennlist (3 or more positive references), so I think I'm good. Spoke with him on the phone today, seems like a good guy. We'll see what happens.

He said he does the PPI in stages:
First, a 15 minute look over to see if anything major jumps out at him. If he sees a major problem, he calls you up and tells you, then you go from there. If nothing major, then he does the detailed inspection - all the mechanicals, body, undercarriage, suspension, interior electrical, etc. If that's good, then he calls you and you discuss it. If there are no problems in the detailed inspection and he thinks it's a good car, he'll ask if you want to proceed with leak down and compression tests, etc. That's where it gets expensive - over double the cost. (Should I go that far if he says it's good?) If he does find problems during the detailed look, once again he calls you. I think that if we're at that point, I'll pass and hope the blue one doesn't sell before I get out there.

I spoke with the triple black owner again yesterday. He seems like a good guy, but I don't know if I like the car's "racing" history. He used to race Formula Ford; is that a bad sign? He just bought a 2002 turbo, so he's got one too many Porsche's in his garage (how can that be?!!). I also don't like the idea of having to remove the whale tail and get a new rear deck lid. I like the car except for that giant tail. So the black one is last on my list.

I also heard from the midnight blue owner last night. He may have a buyer, but he said he's heard that before (from other people, not me!). He seems ready to just sell the thing - too much stress I think. He works for a local independent in the bay area, and he seems honest enough - he was forthcoming about having dropped the price; I didn't even ask - but I agree that a PPI would still be a good idea. I'll be out there on the west coast just after Christmas. If I don't buy the red one, I'll be going to see the blue one after Christmas.

Wish me luck!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for the blue car but can't blame you for buying the red one since it is cheaper and much closer to NY. Please post results.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Tueton, I am with you on the tail on that particular tail on the black one, but that is reasonably easily changed, and you can probably come out close to even by the time you sell the one on there now. My red cab came with an oem turbo tail and I was certain that it would be swapped out very quickly. Now that I have had the car for about 8 months, I am not so sure as for me it fits pretty well with the car's stance (of course I was also set on triple black only, and now have the red with cashmere interior in my garage...). Prices now make it very tempting, and at an asking of $22k, the red one sounds pretty good too (especially if there is negotiation room there!).

Looking forward to the decision.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Teuton993
(Should I go that far if he says it's good?)
Yes! A leak-down is a must. Don't play with fire. The leak-down is the most important part of the PPI. Wouldn't you like to know if you'll have to spend $10K on an engine rebuild in the future?

Originally Posted by Teuton993
I spoke with the triple black owner again yesterday. He seems like a good guy, but I don't know if I like the car's "racing" history. He used to race Formula Ford; is that a bad sign? He just bought a 2002 turbo, so he's got one too many Porsche's in his garage (how can that be?!!). I also don't like the idea of having to remove the whale tail and get a new rear deck lid. I like the car except for that giant tail. So the black one is last on my list.
If anything, I would be more comfortable buying a car from a guy who has racing experience. In most cases those owners are more diligent about maintenance and repairs than the Sunday drivers. In my book that's a huge plus. You could sell the front bumper (looks way out of place on a cab) and rear wing, get used factory replacements, and have some money left over.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, #3 is the clear winner. 96 has the verioram and new engine (BIG $).
Porsche made a lot more 993 cabs than coupes so they are harder to find. (not true partially ) There were more c2 cabs imported than c2 coupes to the US)
Sounds like #1 has been tracked with all those mods, just something to consider.
Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by mcipseric; 12-16-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: wrong facts
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
User 121721
Racer

Originally Posted by mcipseric
For me, #3 is the clear winner. 96 has the verioram and new engine (BIG $).
Porsche made a lot more 993 cabs than coupes so they are harder to find.
Sounds like #1 has been tracked with all those mods, just something to consider.
Good luck and have fun!!
Did Porsche really make more 993 cabriolets than coupes?

That's the first time I've ever heard this.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i love your "problem".... it is V E R Y F A M I L I A R to me.

my last bit of advice is :

hang in there... and go with your instinct when deciding (After a carefully done ppi of course..... buying a car without one is RIDICULOUS )

ps: get your membership already !
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Teuton993
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your continued input. You've all been most helpful!

I get the PPI results on the red '95 cab tomorrow morning, but I spoke with the shop owner briefly tonight and he didn't sound optimistic. I suppose we'll see...

I'll keep you posted. I hope you're all enjoying this car hunt as much as I am.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I though I would check the facts and I was wrong. More Coupes were made than Cabs. A sales man might have said the the US imported more Cabs than coupes, but I am skeptical now.
Here are the raw numbers. It would be fun to see the US vs ROW numbers.
Sorry for the Confusion....

Coupes

993 C2 Coupé 272 PS 14,541
993 C2 Coupé 285 PS 8,586
993 C2 Coupé S 3,714
993 C4 Coupé 272 PS 2,884
993 C4 Coupé 285 PS 1,860
993 C4 Coupé 4S 285 PS 6,948

Cabs

993 C2 Cabrio 272 PS 7,730
993 C2 Cabrio 285 PS 7,769
993 C4 Cabrio 272 PS 1,284